rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

I have an STD...specifically a Strathclyde Transcription Developments STD 305S with an SME 3009 Improved Series 2 which I picked up in 1989 while I was a student at Wolverhampton Polytechnic.

Have somewhere in the region of 200 LPs, 80 7" singles, 250 12" singles plus a few 10" singles. I thought it was about time I set my turntable up again and listen to my collection so I recently had it serviced and fitted an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge to it. Listening to it via a Technics SU-A900 Mk 2 amplifier and a pair of TDL RTL3 floorstanding speakers.

While I'm going through the 12" singles, I'm also recording them to a Tascam DR-100 MK 2 digital recorder for archiving onto my media server.

I've even bought a few more 12" singles via Discogs.com.

• Upvote 2

New record storage arrived today for our new place. Nothing connected up yet as I need to put a new plug socket in first and I'll have to move it all again to paint those horrible walls, but otherwise, hooray:

post-19010-0-18739500-1433278533_thumb.j

Also, whoops:

post-19010-0-70348500-1433278669_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

The first 8 Sabbath albums are getting vinyl re-releases. I haven't got anything to play them on, but that sleeve art...

My mum telling me that she had copies of Hot Rats and Disraeli Gears from when they came out but thinks she gave them away.

:hmm:

Oooh, I spot 2 x PSB double 12" ;)

Plus Erotica 12".

Yes - on a bit of a 90's house jag - anything by someone beginning with M (Masters At Work, Murk, Morales) and I'm tempted. That PSB double has Murk mixes (there's another there somewhere with Deep Dish mixes) and Erotica is the MAW mixes....

It didn't come with the poster. It is a UK Promo (Made in England, not Gemany) from 1981 though, it doesn't have a barcode on the reverse, nor the impossed Warner Music symbol in the bottom right, so I jumped at it for £8

• Upvote 1

I've been considering buying a turntable for a while now, having got rid of mine but still owning quite a lot of vinyl (which is in the loft).

If things work out I'll be moving to a larger house so will have room to not only have a turntable but also store my vinyl properly. For the music I'm planning on buying this stuff:

http://www.i-cubes.co.uk/CD-storage-products.html

I think it's been mentioned here before and looks pretty good. Reason for getting these rather than the usual Ikea stuff is that I also want my CD collection on display, rather than just boxed up out of sight.

Anyways, on with the question - I fancy buying an older turntable to begin with, just to make sure that I still get on with vinyl and haven't been spoilt by having my music collection ripped and ready to go.

I've been looking at stuff from the days when Sony were decent, like the PS-T22 which seems to go for a cheap price but could be OK.

One has just gone on Ebay for £35, I could maybe look at spending a bit more though, say up to £100 for a real gem of a turntable.

What makes and models are there that are worth looking out for? Would a new cartridge always be recommended and what price point would that be to match a second hand 100 quid TT?

My last turntable was a Technics SLD-21, which I gave away after years of it being in the loft. I was never that impressed with it, no idea what cartridge it had though.

Or should I just sack off the second hand market and go straight for new?

I know I'll need a pre-amp or amp with phono stage, that's all part of the plan and I know a bit more about amps than I do analogue sources so I'm happy figuring that bit out myself. It'll hopefully be new anyway so I can do some auditioning.

My last turntable was a rotel which I picked up for about £80 second hand off ebay. Don't bother with those cheap plastic ones like the Sony.

• Upvote 1

My last turntable was a rotel which I picked up for about £80 second hand off ebay. Don't bother with those cheap plastic ones like the Sony.

Cheers for that, any specific Rotel models to look out for (or avoid)? Likewise, other brands I should keep an eye out for?

I know Sony stuff nowadays is plasticky, but in the 80s they made some good kit. The one I listed at £35 sounds like it may be a bit low end, but from what I've read on other sites they did make some decent stuff back in the day.

Anyone with a good solid wooden plinth would be good for under £100 or an old Thoren's they seem highly recommended. Don't waste your time with any of the cheap plastic models.

• Upvote 1

Just got into buying vinyl again treated ourselves to a Teac TN300 as a wedding present to ourselves :) Does anyone know if the eBay seller 'All_Your_Music' marks down packages to avoid customs fees? Not even sure what the limit is nowadays anyway, as stoped importing games long ago. Lots of stuff I'd like to grab from them. Any info appreciated as eBay won't allow me to contact them directly, strangely.

You should be fine as they generally ship in bulk to a UK warehouse and then on to you via Royal Mail, which is how they can do it so cheap. I've heard of people who had stuff shipped directly from the US with them but if it still happens then it must be pretty rare, I've never had one come that way and I've ordered shitloads from them over the years (including chancing a few over the limit). I do still order things individually just in case though. Might as well since there's no difference in price.

• Upvote 1

Those iCube units seem expensive. are they really solid or something? I'm sure the cd racks stack fine but the Ikea unit I have for vinyl has a much thicker edge. Modular is nice, though I would spend hundreds housing my collection.

Yes - on a bit of a 90's house jag - anything by someone beginning with M (Masters At Work, Murk, Morales) and I'm tempted. That PSB double has Murk mixes (there's another there somewhere with Deep Dish mixes) and Erotica is the MAW mixes....

Take a look at my seller page - a lot of stuff is from the 90s. Definitely had tracks/mixes from all those names you mention, though can't remember what's left. http://www.discogs.com/seller/acidbearboy/profile

• Upvote 1

Those iCube units seem expensive. are they really solid or something? I'm sure the cd racks stack fine but the Ikea unit I have for vinyl has a much thicker edge. Modular is nice, though I would spend hundreds housing my collection.

It's mostly the fact that I can get my vinyl and CDs all in common and decent looking storage. I have more CDs than vinyl, I got rid of a load of it before it went up in the loft so only really have 2 to 3 feet of it (12" stacked, I have no idea how many that is). I do plan to buy more though once I have a turntable, so would like to expand it bit by bit.

I was looking for CD storage the other day and there isn't much decent stuff about these days. Even Ikea seem to have given up on it.

Most of the stuff I found was either old fashioned, single tower or cheapo Argos style bendy shelf flat pack.

Let me know how you get on with them. Admittedly they're unattractive, but I find those single tower cd units are best on their side. I have a big Ikea bookcase on the landing with my 'good' cds on, the rest are all in the store room and garage.

The Icubes are unnecessarily expensive. For me, it was the only solution that would fit in the space I have as other solutions tend to come in even configurations and I needed 3 x 3. They are totally solid though and definitely of better quality than eg Kallax.

Heads up for Advisory Circle listeners, "Other Channels" is available again. (although you wouldn't know this from GhostBox's website!)

https://www.normanrecords.com/records/97837-advisory-circle-other-channels

https://bleep.com/release/8536-the-advisory-circle-other-channels

It is listed as a pre-order on the Ghost Box site though.

...and speaking of The Advisory Circle....my copy of this

R-7011612-1431632556-7006.png.jpg

turned up this week. Limited to 300 copies and sold out far too quickly for my liking so I had to pay a bit over the top on discogs.

It is listed as a pre-order on the Ghost Box site though.

...and speaking of The Advisory Circle....my copy of this

R-7011612-1431632556-7006.png.jpg

turned up this week. Limited to 300 copies and sold out far too quickly for my liking so I had to pay a bit over the top on discogs.

Jon Brooks - 52 (Evening edition, 2nd press with different sleeve)

pre-order on Monday ;)

• Upvote 1

Jon Brooks - 52 (Evening edition, 2nd press with different sleeve)

pre-order on Monday ;)

It does look nice and even though I have the original pressing I am tempted to get this as well

final%2Bcover%2Bmed.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like I have gone proper mental with buying albums this week, in truth I have bought 3!

The Sleater-Kinney set was ordered back at the end of March, after the boxset went out of print. I chose to go the single LP route (as the boxset was overpriced because of the book) and it was waiting on "The Woods" for months to show up. Norman Records tried, but Sub-Pop's attitute to supplying this title is pretty sloppy. Its regually available in the US, just not in the UK, which is a bit of a disgrace really.

So I was forced to buy an overpriced copy from Amazon US, as there is nowhere in the UK that I have found that sell it. Ended up subsituting it for the Advisory Circle....

post-13077-0-84835300-1434206902_thumb.j

The MadVillian album is vibrant, but suffers from a really shit pressing. On both discs there is an ever-present middle pitch whine all the way through it, even in the run off grooves. Strange.

Television was a impulse purchase as Amazon had dropped the price to below £12

post-13077-0-32451100-1434206926_thumb.j

The MadVillian album is vibrant, but suffers from a really shit pressing. On both discs there is an ever-present middle pitch whine all the way through it, even in the run off grooves. Strange.

I'd return it, mine's an old pressing and it doesn't have anything like that going on. I've heard a few other copies over the years without any noticeable issues as well. It's too good of an album to put up with something that sounds super annoying.

I couldn't find The Woods either a few months back, ended up getting it from somewhere in Germany along with some other things. Would've worked out pretty costly if the postage hadn't been spread and I tend to be loathe to order from abroad on Discogs due to the potential cost of returns but it sounds great, thankfully.