rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

Went into HMV on princes street today for the first time in a few years and they now have a pretty big vinyl selection. I had to laugh at the prices though. Poor quality represses at over 20 quid. Loads of classic I already have in my collection that I picked up original copies in good quality from car boots for a quid or two at 17-20 quid. Loads of heavweight mutli-vinyl releases for 20-40(!) quid too. I was tempted by The Stone Roses for 15 quid tho as last time I saw that anywhere it was 35 quid, looked on amazon and it was a recent repress and was 15 quid there too so decided to wait to see if it pops up at a car boot in a few years.

Price wise HMV are very good in comparison to Amazon. Some of the 180 represses are hilariously out of step with what is already available for £1/2/3/4 at a record fair. Such as The Human League, A-ha, and I think I read the other day that Alison Moyet is doing a vinyl reissue of her first album, which is easily a pound right now at most record fairs!

Represses are also a godsend though when originals are too far out of reach to be sensible. Boards of Canada and Beatles mono reissues where most welcome for example.

I can't stress this enough, avoid the Stone Roses repress, its the worst I have ever heard. Spend £20-30 on an original.

Yeah, prices were generally on par with Amazon after I checked on my phone. Biggest bargain I spotted was Burial's album for a tenner. Also Royal Blood for 12 quid which I was tempted by. Think I've decided with myself to stick to second hand vinyl at car boots and fairs now though.

I moved just over a week ago and it's still chaos here but I finally got round to setting up (well, more like lashing up in a temporary manner) my hifi including my newly acquired 30 year old turntable.

I'm sat here listening to a bunch of vinyl that's been in the loft for over 12 years, along with a couple of new ones that I picked up today from Action Records. Great little shop full of bargains.

DJ Mink is banging out Hey Hey Can You Relate at the minute (original promo I bought back in the day) and I'm 19 again. Love it.

I'm using a Technics SL-1500 with a relatively cheap phono stage, the Behringer PP4400.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-PP400-Microphono-Compact-Preamp/dp/B000H2BC4E

I was a little concerned that such a cheap pre amp might be a bit hissy or noisy. It's bloody marvellous, can't fault it at all as it sounds great into my Denon amp.

I spent quite a bit today on music, both CDs and vinyl and it's good to be back to physical media. I've always bought music, even in the download age but I think this might become an expensive hobby again.

Got my tracking force scales today, cheapo unit from ebay but seems decent and other brand name units seem to be a rebadged version of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301224702195

I paid 11 quid. You can buy the same thing with a Project badge on it for £90...

http://www.analogueseduction.net/stylus-force-tracking-gauges/project-measure-it-digital-stylus-force-tracking-gauge.html

Thieving gits.

It reads 0.00g when there's nothing on it, and 4.99g when the 5g calibration weight is on. Assuming it is linear, I'd say I'd be happy with that level of accuracy.

I'd played a few records with the cart set at whatever the previous owner had it on, which it turned out was approx 3g. Ortofon say 1.5g is the way to go so now it's adjusted and sounding fine. No huge improvement to my cloth ears but at least I know I'm not ruining my records now.

Yeah I picked up those same ones a couple of years back. Still need to give them a lick of paint.

So Kernow, vinyl, more or less expensive than your Neo Geo collecting days? ;)

Does anyone have the reissue of meloncollie and the infinite sadness? It's my birthday next week and I fancy a treat. I'd never spend £75 of my own money, but I'll happily accept it as a present :P

New record shop in Belfast, grabbed the new AFX and El Topo soundtrack.

Respek!

New record shop in Belfast, grabbed the new AFX and El Topo soundtrack.

Respek!

Wheres the new shop?

North Street. Sick Records. Awful name, but there you go. By new, I mean it's been there about 6 months but I've not been at home.

North Street. Sick Records. Awful name, but there you go. By new, I mean it's been there about 6 months but I've not been at home.

More like 18 months. I've been buying in it since it opened. Kenny and Matthew are great guys.

Record fair day today. Lowest price for any vinyl is now £2 and up, average for a bargain is around £5 now I would say.

post-13077-0-53804800-1440343214.png

War of the Worlds - with insert - £5

Prince - Graffiti Bridge - £5 (just completing the collection up to this year and not beyond, one or two choice tracks, otherwise bloody awful album)

Bauhaus - Burning from the inside - £8

The The "Infected" - £8 - fantastic quality, my 3rd copy, but will now be my go-to copy

Marvin Gaye - In our lifetime - £5 - never seen or heard anything about this record, as its from 1981 it will either be OK or just terrible.

Don't think so, it's all recent stuff.

I need some new speaker cables. Is this stuff going to be any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superb-Quality-Profile-Oxygen-Speaker/dp/B00FEIY450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440414791&sr=8-1&keywords=white+flat+speaker+cable

Previously I had some huge thick stuff I'd been using for about 20 years, but chucked it when we moved house earlier in the year. Hopefully I can get something I can hide more easily.

I need some new speaker cables. Is this stuff going to be any good?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Superb-Quality-Profile-Oxygen-Speaker/dp/B00FEIY450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440414791&sr=8-1&keywords=white+flat+speaker+cable

Previously I had some huge thick stuff I'd been using for about 20 years, but chucked it when we moved house earlier in the year. Hopefully I can get something I can hide more easily.

I wouldn't get flat unless you're going to make use of the flatness. But if you are yes, it'll be fine.

I wouldn't get flat unless you're going to make use of the flatness. But if you are yes, it'll be fine.

Why not?

EDIT: While I'm here - if I have floor standing speakers and want to minimise the noise for those below us, I guess I'll be wanting stands on spikes?

Thanks.

Bought some more storage space recently (from argos!).

cH4o5OGl.jpg

Can you post a link to those please on the Argos site, thanks

I've been using these from Staples, they are built really well, but going up in price all the of time..

http://www.staples.co.uk/19-litre-xl-box-clear/cbs/397021.html?promoCode=300300666&Effort_Code=WW&Find_Number=397021

post-13077-0-98330800-1440434575.jpg

I wonder how long before these come back? My old man has loads of these, they are typical of the era of having a vinyl collection, and up to a few years ago where going for £20+ on ebay! To be fair they could get fairly tatty quickly...

post-13077-0-62130000-1440434772.jpg

The unit with the deck on top looks really useful.