rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

That reads like it's been fed through 3 translations and remixed by autechre.

I like it.

Why not?

EDIT: While I'm here - if I have floor standing speakers and want to minimise the noise for those below us, I guess I'll be wanting stands on spikes?

Thanks.

Just the basic logic of not equally protective from all angles and it's easy to get it trapped the wrong way. I've split network cable that way.

Look into auralex platfoam. You can buy premade platforms or make your own out of platfoam sticks and chopping boards. Spikes couple the mass to the floor meaning you'll get more noise. On a suspended floor you want to isolate/decouple. I use subdude hds and they're fantastic. You could probably get away with smaller ones.

These seem expensive and scarce. Is there a cheaper alternative?

Just the basic logic of not equally protective from all angles and it's easy to get it trapped the wrong way. I've split network cable that way.

Ah ok, thanks. I might not need flat anyway, will see when I get round to it after I've stripped the walls, painted, got new furniture, moved some electrical sockets ... please kill me now.

Like I said in the first post, if you're going to use the flatness it's better as you get the wall/floor as extra protection effectively. If it's trailing around then round is more protective.

You can build your own for about £40 with platfoam sticks and granite chopping boards.

Chopping boards and half squash balls maybe?

I have previously used the squash balls system. Works well.

I really must stop spending my evenings on Discogs. It's so addictive, costing me too much money and possibly putting my marriage at risk....

Anyway, there's a shop fairly local to me that does record cleaning for £1 a disc. I'm tempted to drop in a big batch of my old 12"s (mostly 25+ years old) for a good old scrub but don't want to put them straight back into their dusty & dirty old sleeves.

What's the go to replacement sleeve/liner these days? I do prefer the feel of paper ones over plastic as plastic can tend be a bit staticky but is there a preferred type I can get hold of fairly easily and cheaply (e.g. eBay)?

I lived the dream yesterday. Went into a charity shop and they had obviously just received a prog dump of someone's collection.

I walked out with:

Genesis - Foxtrot, Nursery Crime, Trespass and Trick in the Tail

Rush Chronicles

Michael Jackson Thriller

Van Halen

PFM cook

Passed up a lot of other great stuff as well, might go back tomorrow

A supermarket eying up a piece of an estimated 2% market share says more about day-to-day business than anything else.

Also I'll have a new tape over a new record almost every time, given the choice.

Amazon also beginning to offer exclusive vinyls.

THEY BEGANS SELLING FUCKING WHATS

• Upvote 2

It's been kicking around as a double for quite a few years and Rhino did a version not long back that should be easily available. That said, there's probably a limit to how good it can sound because of all the samples. No doubt it'll be an improvement on the original though!

My mum gave away her copies of Hot Rats and DIsraeli Gears back in the day.

eric_cartman_southpark1.gif?w=450

Do you ever flog many for money on discogs Kernow?

ALSO, Discogs is starting to charge VAT soon :(

Discogs selling is easy. I've been through all my 'DJ' collection, which was mostly 12" singles. Anything already widely available for £1 and under went straight to the charity shop. The rest got listed cheaply and, for the most part, sell easily. They're all out the back of the house in a separate rack, alphabetised. The only thing you have to do is make sure you calculate your shipping costs so that the £1 items actually leave you with £1 profit after paying for mailers, stiffeners, fees and postage. I had a few bits that were worth a few bob - some moron gave me 100 Euros for a promo featuring Marc Almond and my Analord collection went in bulk to Australia for a tidy sum - but most of it was only really worth a pound or two. The new Discogs VAT charge is miniscule - 20% of their 8% selling fees.

Ah that's good to hear, I buy a lot from there as Ireland is fairly slim-pickings for decent wax.

Some quite frankly unbelievable finds at Oxfam earlier today. The Manics record I've never seen before on vinyl anywhere. Wire - 157 and Sun Ra are both original presses. The covers are a bit scuffed but the records themselves are in immaculate condition.

sis37yUl.jpg

yQ8BfS6l.jpg

• Upvote 4

Those are indeed pretty crazy finds for Oxfam. 154 with the 7" is pretty rare. Out of curiosity how does your 7" sound because mine sounds like absolute shit even by cheapo 7" standards, the LP is perfect though thankfully.

Like Steve Buscemi fused with The Hulk for reasons unknown.

That turntable seems to be missing some important features.

Or they misunderstood which definition of the word 'Turntable' they were meant to be adhering to. Still it'll be super useful next time I have to put buttercream frosting on a Victoria sponge.

Just get an SP-10MkII drive instead. Put it in a heavy birchply plinth with interchangeable armboards. Will probably be a lot cheaper and at least equally good.