rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

My record player sounds completely fucked. Records sound muffked and distorted with lots of nice. The mrs said she lifted it at a 50 degreeish angle to clean underneath it. Could this be the issue. The old record player i have is fine (i thought it was the speakers at first).

She didn't move it when it was on. It's only about 5 months old so can't be a worn needle. Can it?

Might have a loose headshell wire or something. If its fine now, LEAVE IT ALONE! :)

Dont judge me too much but I just listened to dark side of the moon for the first time ever. It was reduced from 26 to 15 in their vinyl section.

After hearing it i realise i need to expand my musical horizons. Wow!

• Upvote 2

Depends on how old you are I guess, and what musical upbringing you've had.

I'm 42 this year but music wasn't really a thing in my house. I came from a one parent family and my mum just didn't listen to music so I didn't either. I didn't start developing my own musical tastes till my teens and as I was obsessed with films I'd pick up soundtracks over most other things.
  • Upvote 1

I've been following this thread for about a year now, watching enviously as people post new pick ups with the beautiful artwork whilst debating with myself if I really wanted to get involved with vinyl. I've decided I want to buy my first turntable and some records for a few different reasons.

I'm not getting into the debate about whether vinyl sounds better than CD but I will freely admit that it sounds different and I really like the sound of vinyl. I also want to start listening to albums again instead of just songs if that makes sense? plus I've found my taste in music has changed over the years and what I enjoy listening to now has little to no relation to what I listened to in my 20s. What this means is I find myself wanting to buy new albums, mostly older stuff which was originally recorded for vinyl so if I'm going to be buying new albums any way then why not make the start on vinyl?

Oh, and of course I'm looking forward to the big sleeves with artwork and notes in the liners.

I have a Hi-Fi I purchased years ago, might even be as many as 15 years but it still sounds good to my ears. The amp is a Technics sua 909 pre and power amp combo that does have phono inputs so I'm guessing I'm fine? I've more or less moved to exclusive headphone use for my music using a pair of Sennheiser HD650s.

I'm thinking a budget of £400 to get a turntable and whatever bits I need plus £100 to get a few records. Any suggestions on what turntable to get and what other bits I need like a brush would be very helpful. The budget isn't set in stone, if there is a good reason to spend more I could be persuaded.

• Upvote 2

For £400 mark i would look no furthur than the Project Carbon Esprit SB.

has a Acrylic Platter so dont get any issues with static. Also comes with a built in speedbox so can easily switch between 33/45 with a press of a button. And comes with a 2M red cartridge so offers alot for your money.

• Upvote 1

I'd say that vinyl does sound better than CD when done properly. But a bad press can sound worse then an average CD and poor CD's sound worse than a lot of vinyl.

Vinyl definitely has a softer more gentle sound than digital and CD which some prefer. It suits different some styles of music better than others. Artists such as Nick Drake I'd always listen to on vinyl while something like Fugaz I don't mind whether I pick up an album on CD or LP.

I just pulled the trigger on a Project Carbon Espirit :)

Now I think I'll join Discogs and get half a dozen albums ordered. Have you ever discovered an old band for the first time and feel like you've been living under a rock all your life because you weren't aware of them? It happened to me last night and I'm sure the fact that I'd never heard The Alan Parson's Project before will shock most if not all of you in here but the first 2 records I'm buying will be irobot and Eve.

Get Animals by Pink Floyd, and then listen to Sheep.

Everyone keeps recommending animals. I will look at getting it come payday.

Anything by Floyd, apart from the one you have in the picture. And the one after that (Division Bell)

Managed to pick up a load of random stuff today. Quite pleased as a few of them have sentimental value, like ABC's Lexicon of Love I remember my parents having when I was young.

11326744_500800320069382_1289023413_n.jp

Nice haul, the Stevie Wonder track on that album "I wish" is demo worthy stuff. Bin off The Carpenters though.

I just pulled the trigger on a Project Carbon Espirit :)

Good choice 👍 Only had mine a month but think its great value for money compared to some of the other turntables out there.

Had a Project Genie before the Esprit and ended up selling it as the constant issues with static and the felt mat sticking to records annoyed me along with having to manually switch the belt between 33/45 all the time. Plus the Genie never had a dust cover either.

The esprit just allows you to slip on a record and forget about the rest.

Hope you enjoy your venture back into the world of vinyl and be prepared to have a empty wallet, especially on discogs lol

This is really my entry into vinyl rather than a re-entry, it was all about tapes in my house growing up and then CDs although I do remember a 7" of Clime Fisher's Love changes everything lying about. I've already ordered my first half dozen to get me started, i robot and Eve, Brothers in arms, rumours, Bad and Thriller.

Its good to see people rediscovering new music through the power of vinyl! :)

You're never too old to discover the joys of Floyd.

If that's turning you on try out S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things and anything by the Chocolate Watch Band

• Upvote 1

I've been watching some videos about vinyl collection and I hear people talk about getting a certain version of such and such record, for example getting the Japanese first pressing over a US or UK version. Does it really make a difference to make it worth while tracking down obscure, and I presume expensive, versions of LPs or are we talking about minor differences in the sound? I understand if it's been remastered it may be worth it to get an older version but I'm not sure what to make of the other.