rllmuk
Oh Danny Boy

vinyl lovers

I'm sure it makes a difference but i like to live in blissful ignorance. My suede remasters are not supposed to sound as good as the originals, but they sound lovely to me. I'm sure id notice a difference if I heard them side by side, but that's never going to happen. My muse remaster of black holes and revelations does sound a bit arse though.

I've been watching some videos about vinyl collection and I hear people talk about getting a certain version of such and such record, for example getting the Japanese first pressing over a US or UK version. Does it really make a difference to make it worth while tracking down obscure, and I presume expensive, versions of LPs or are we talking about minor differences in the sound? I understand if it's been remastered it may be worth it to get an older version but I'm not sure what to make of the other.

I don't think there's really an easy answer to this, it's totally on a case by case basis. Sometimes it's minor, sometimes it's pretty dramatic. The latter starts to rear its ugly head more often once you get into the digital era which made it easier for labels to start cutting corners, eventually culminating in contemporary reissue labels like Plain, Lilith, Abraxas, 4 Men With Beards etc. basically pressing CDs up on records and charging a premium for so the unwitting customer can enjoy drawbacks of both formats combined in one convenient package.

There's all sorts of shit you can get into (petrol shortages in particular eras leading to thin vinyl before they knew how to make thin vinyl sound good, dodgy vinyl formulations like on some Reprise records) but generally if you get something that was manufactured before the mid 80s there's a good chance it'll sound nice wherever it was pressed, especially if it's on one of the majors. Compilations can sometimes be a bit ropey even that far back though, some of them were obviously just thrown together from whatever worn tapes were laying around. I wouldn't worry about it all too much but if there's something you really want to sound its best it can be worth having a quick Google before you chuck some money at it. Personally I'd rather spend a few quid more if it's something I'll revisit often.

• Upvote 1

Its good to see people rediscovering new music through the power of vinyl! :)

You're never too old to discover the joys of Floyd.

If that's turning you on try out S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things and anything by the Chocolate Watch Band

Another vote for S.F Sorrow - recorded at Abbey Road the same time as Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Sgt Peppers (I believe) but sadly not well known...and beat Townshend to the concept album too...

Managed to pick up a load of random stuff today. Quite pleased as a few of them have sentimental value, like ABC's Lexicon of Love I remember my parents having when I was young.

Ah, man, I hate it when people say stuff like that. It was released when I was in the sixth form - it was a staple at so many 18th birthday parties I went to...

And back in the day, you took your records to parties - setting off with an armful of choice vinyl was pretty common. I remember my hippy mate turning up at one pissed off because he'd been stopped by the cops, who turned over his collection; dropping his records onto the ground one by one, taking the piss out of each as they did so. It had been raining...

The recent Madfish reissue of SF Sorrow sounds really great too, a bargain at £15. I'd stick it in an inner sleeve since it doesn't come with one (it's just straight into the custom outer sleeve) and ditch the outer plastic one as it's the type that leeches onto records over time (like, years generally, but even so).

I just received my first record, Rumours by Fleetwood Mac, and it's beautiful. So much static on it though, I found it difficult to remove the record from slip sleeve. What's the best way to de-static a record?

Went to Exeter record fair today - same stuff as always but a lower turnout. Came away with nothing again.

a529aa8482b2cc357e1fdf87f88d1c10.jpg

I've got a cork matt from Project and it's made no difference to static, in fact sometimes it's stuck to the record and I have to take it off.

I haven't received my turntable yet, hopefully tomorrow, but I did get my brand new copy of Rumours and I can feel the static just by hovering my hand over the disc. In fact if I lay it down on top of the inlay sleeve when I lift it up the sleeve will be stuck to it, I'm almost afraid to play it without doing something about it first.

I wonder if your turntable is grounded correctly. I get zero static.

I have that metal hook thing attached which stopped the buzzing. All my records I have put through the anti static are fine, it's just everything else.

It's the inner sleeves usually, picture inners being particularly bad. Though generally I only tend to hear it as the needle is being lowered, I get pops pretty rarely during actual playback unless something is seriously static'd up.

Yeah, for a long time I thought that was audiophile geek overkill but I've started doing it now with stuff I'm super bothered about or that needs to be reasonably quiet and to avoid sleeve removal type surface marks. Like a lot of jazzy stuff can be pretty hard to listen to if the record's not in nice shape.

Niche request and probably more suited to the Wanted/Trading folder but I'm looking for vinyl copies of the following Morrissey albums - I'm guessing Kernow can pick this one up.

I need Viva Hate, Kill Uncle, Vauxhall & I, Southpaw Grammar, Maladjusted, You Are The Quarry & Ringleader of the Tormentors - original releases (UK or US) only, no re-masters.

Discogs is helping but is eye-wateringly expensive...

You can get viva hate for under a tenner, kill uncle for 15 to 20, and the rest you're fucked. Your arsenal for £25-30 I guess.

My vauxhall was £55 and it's not mint. Ringleader I scored for £20 as new, so lucky as that won't happen again. You're better off with the reissues of some, they still sound great. I paid £14 shipped on amazon for my vauxhall reissue!

I have a decent smiths and solo first pressing collection but it took a while to get them for a sensible price. I have joy division first pressings too :)

• Upvote 1

Got this for £12 at the weekend from a record fair, great album. Looked it up on Discogs when I got home and discovered it's a bit of a rarity so pretty chuffed with that.

lSJvkDCl.jpg

"This version features alternate artwork from the US release, depicting the band alongside Ex- president of the U.S.A, Bill Clinton. It was pressed in a run of 1000 copies, however, it was soon withdrawn due to unauthorised use of Bill Clinton's image. It is not known how many copies made it into circulation before the run was withdrawn."

I'm dreading that album a bit to be honest, I coudn't even bring myself to give Waiting for the Siren's Call a chance as the singles were so bad. The Chemical Brothers producing some of it doesn't bode well either since the studio version of 'Here to Stay' ended up sounding more like one of their tracks with a Bernard Sumner vocal than New Order.

On the other hand I sort of like that they're at least trying to do something new rather than being a pure nostalgia band like so many others in recent years.

NEW vinyl purchases - 6 monthly update/health check

I mentioned at the end of last year that I would track the amount of new vinyl I buy versus those that I return due to being badly warped, dished, or just just fucked sound wise. I read a lot of comments about "never had an issue with new vinyl" all of the time, which I cannot believe to be honest.

Anyway, here are the numbers. Out of 44 new vinyl albums purchased, 9 where returned, interestingly enough all from Amazon (with one exception from Bleep). Amazon has the biggest hit rate, out of 23 albums purchased from Amazon, 8 where returned for being crap. Majority of the time the replacement was fine.

I'll keep sending them back until they get the message. Of course buying new vinyl, to me, has that horrible dread associated with it when placing it on the TT for the first time. I have one in the post today actually, and already I have that dread it will be a piece of shit that needs to be returned.

I'll keep sending them back until they get the message. Of course buying new vinyl, to me, has that horrible dread associated with it when placing it on the TT for the first time. I have one in the post today actually, and already I have that dread it will be a piece of shit that needs to be returned.

Or until they ban your account for excessive returns :ph34r:. It does happen apparently, though you'd hope they'd give some leeway for products that are more naturally prone to defects, like records.

I will fight that if that happens to me, every single return is justified, and if they tested them they would see why. All are done as a "replace" option, so its not like I am getting them and changing my mind that I don't want them and sending them back for a refund.

I'd agree that if I ordered and returned everything for a refund it would be suspect, but asking for a replacement should'nt be part of it. Having said that I would welcome them to review it, something might get done long-term for the better.

I've known people on film forums who got banned for trying to exchange box sets etc. that got mangled due to Amazon's poor packaging, which would obviously be visible, so I dunno if all that comes into it really. My guess is that it just gets automatically flagged if you go over a certain percentage in a certain space of time or something.

Just warning you that it's a possibility, in case you weren't aware that it happened.

• Upvote 1