IGNORED

Zero Dark Thirty - Kathryn Bigelow's Hunt for Bin Laden Pic

Goose

From Comingsoon.net

The trailer and five photos from The Hurt Locker director Kathryn Bigelow and writer Mark Boal's new film, Zero Dark Thirty, have come online and can be viewed below!

Opening on December 19, the film stars Joel Edgerton, Jessica Chastain, Edgar Ramirez, Mark Strong, Kyle Chandler, Nash Edgerton, Jennifer Ehle, Harold Perrineau and Frank Grillo.

Zero Dark Thirty focuses on the black ops mission to capture or kill Osama bin Laden, which culminated in his death during a high-stakes raid on his compound in Pakistan.

• 2 months later...

Sorry just to explain my cryptic comment earlier - there's a lot of stuff going around about this and how the Obama admin have given civilians access to tonnes of classified information because they're going to make a film which makes the Obama admin look tough and resolute and tough and clever and tough.

Of course the obvious conclusion is that they gave access and info only on the basis that Bigelow makes a puff piece that makes the Obama admin looks good.

There was also talk of it being release before the election and basically acting as a Democrat ad.

Stinks to high heaven if you ask me.

I don't care either way. KB is great, The Hurt Locker was great, this will be great. As long as it's the film equivalent of playing MW2, which is exactly what it looks like, I will love it.

That's nice for you. Personally I don't want it to be "like MW2" (Christ what a statement) seeing as its about a politically important real world event that happened, in reality, in the real world.

For instance, this is Under secretary for Defence Michael Vickers telling Bigelow and the other guy how to make the film:

vickes.png

So it's a propaganda piece. Just bare that in mind.

On and:

“Michael Lynton, the Sony Pictures chief executive, has been a major backer of President Obama and last April attended and paid the donation fee for a high-priced political fund-raising dinner for the president on the Sony studio lot in Culver City, Calif., which was rented by the Democratic National Committee.”

Sorry just to explain my cryptic comment earlier - there's a lot of stuff going around about this and how the Obama admin have given civilians access to tonnes of classified information because they're going to make a film which makes the Obama admin look tough and resolute and tough and clever and tough.

Of course the obvious conclusion is that they gave access and info only on the basis that Bigelow makes a puff piece that makes the Obama admin looks good.

There was also talk of it being release before the election and basically acting as a Democrat ad.

Stinks to high heaven if you ask me.

It's not like they haven't done it before...

Also they should definitely use this as the music for the film!

Just be aware that you are being spun to when you watch the movie.

Just like 99% of movies involving the military.

I loved Iron Eagle as a kid and it brainwashed me into accepting current events in the Middle East as both inevitable and requiring the intervention of a young son with no discernible piloting experience.

I loved Iron Eagle as a kid and it brainwashed me into accepting current events in the Middle East as both inevitable and requiring the intervention of a young son with no discernible piloting experience.

Where is the need for sarcasm?

You all know perfectly well what my point is so why act the fools about it?

This is based on a real event, a significant event. The makers have been given high level access and asked to put a good spin on things.

The story itself was subject to lies and manipulation at the time. The guy at the top of the company making it is a doner to the party who's actions the film is the subject of.

All I've done is point that out so that people are aware of it.

You seem to be unaware that it's a film, rather than a historical document. I expect to watch it and remain entirely unchanged as to my opinion on anything other than whether the film kicked ass or not. No-one is spinning me. Rather, it's the mark of a limited intellect if you are unable to extract entertainment from propaganda without taking on board an intended message.

Other films I love watching: Zulu, Blackhawk Down, Top Gun. YAY IMPERIALISM!

Dude, Zok, I know that. I never said otherwise.

All I have done is point out the connections here so people' are aware of the story.

I respect you so it's really disappointing to see you being so lazy and reductive, and implying I have a limited intellect if I'm bothered by all of this.

I said NOTHING about wether other people should accept this as entertainment, or that people would invariably take the message on on or anything.

I am just letting people know about the story here. Fuck man, you totally know I posted what I did, so why try and make it out to be something else?

Your blithe dismissal of the idea that it Is worth noting concerns me as well. You're a intelligent guy.

You know that for a lot of people out there the events of this film will be interpreted as the truth - and that's significant. It may well be seen by some as a "historical document".

We're talking about something that happened last year. We're talking about a government that is still in power. We're talking about issues which affect the world right now.

So you know perfectly well why I'm bringing it up. I wasn't making some attack or criticism on you, I was just saying that you were,missing the point saying that you'd enjoy it. Fine, I said nothing to do with that.

All I've done is bring some facts to people's attention - I think it is pertinent to a discussion about a film that purports to tell the story of a real event with significant political ramifications.

So I don't understand why you'd choose to criticise me.

Because you're insulting our intelligence by implying we don't already know that films 'based on real events' are mostly a load of made-up old bollocks.

Well that wasn't my intention.

There's a specific story here that I was trying to alert people to.

I apologise for daring to mention it.

That's fine, the stuff you're posting is actually interesting. It's your tone people don't like, you come off sounding like you think people are too thick to understand a dramatic account of an event will be spun by the filmmaker, financers and subjects. It's no different to the majority of 'based on real events' films - the filmmaker has an opinion or a vision, the studio meddles with it, and it's all based on the accounts of people who have a vested interest in being portrayed well. Granted all this has added weight because it's a film about the current US government, but we already know that too.

If you keep posting interesting facts and try not to get too emotional/start playing the martyred oracle at the drop of a hat you'll have a better response from people, especially the three posts in a row argumentative stuff where you get wound up at people making jokes at your expense - you're just giving them what they want. Let the facts speak for themselves to the people who are interested, like me.

Dude, all I did was post interesting facts and immediately got the sarcastic treatment and implications of insulting people's intelligence.

I thought people might be interested to know.

Anyway - lesson learned, I won't be so stupid as to mention anything similar again.