rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Padlocked

September - a month of gaming

Having started a new job, staying away from home for ages and generally being knackered I've barely touched my games for about 4 months. I haven't stopped buying them - that would be MAD - but I just haven't played them.

I intend to change that in September. I will spend the rest of August doing one or two turns, reading rules, getting to grips with them all and then, ever day in September, I will play a game. It could be a quick go of Uno, or a single round of Ticket To Ride The Card Game, or a five hour session of Warhammer Quest. Whatever. They will get played, however. It'll also be the catalyst to get CSP going again.

Who wants to join me and commit? I may even burden some of you with my company!

• Upvote 1

I've had less time to game as well :(

Had a four player game of Lords Of Waterdeep yesterday, so I've got the bug again. Stuff always seems to be getting in the way at the moment :(

Darran

Does playing MtG: Online count? I've been rinsing that game for the past two weeks. Going to my first paper meet tonight in Glasgow, too. I've spent an utter fortune on cards this week.

Would love to do something like this, especially as Ive got so much stuff just sat unplayed. However about to start a new job too, so no chance. I may try to aim for 1 game a week instead (atleast that would still be a massive improvement over the past few months).

Good luck with your challenge though :)

That's not a bad idea, actually. I've been in a similar situation - started a job in February which ate up all my time; as that started to calm down I ended up getting a motorbike, having to pass my CBT then get the hang of riding it, but finally that's all slotting into place as well; I've finally started writing again (albeit rarely, but three articles in the past two months is a big improvement on the zero I managed in the preceeding four). It would be nice to get back into the swing of gaming (and painting minis) next month. I'm in! Now to decide what games to line up for the playing; there's a whole set of untouched Heroicas, there's the bigger, harder games I've not yet introduced Jo to like Lord of the Rings... decisions, decisions!

It's September, bitches!

Yesterday I played a few rounds of a solo trial game of Red November which is more confusing than it needs to be. I also worked through the rules of Epic Spell Wars, setting the game out and getting to grips with it ready for a game with the missus - who went to bed early.

Not sure what'll get played today as I only just woke up.

• Upvote 1

I spent most of yesterday working on a new game idea called Dice Quest - played a few rounds out, seems to be working well. Today will be all about building a decent prototype set and playing with that, plus I've also got Convoy from Portal to check out :)

Forcing Jo to play my newly-acquired copy of Descent (2nd Ed.) this evening. Not having played the previous game, and with Jo never having played anything even slightly like it before, it should be an interesting night.

Wooh! Well done guys.

So far today I've done a bit of painting of my Doom minis (which I'm counting as part of the challenge), played a game of single player Carcassone on XBLA and had a go on Risk Factions long enough for it to crash on me.

Yesterday I managed a couple of games of D Day Dice - still not managed to beat the second map. Also made a start on The Warlock of Firetop Mountain - my first FF book, to my shame - I'm actually enjoying it a whole lot more than I expected.

Also got a copy of All Things Zombie on its way too.

I spent most of yesterday working on a new game idea called Dice Quest - played a few rounds out, seems to be working well. Today will be all about building a decent prototype set and playing with that, plus I've also got Convoy from Portal to check out :)

Dice you say...? Colour me interested!

Well, played the introductory level of Descent - seemed very biased in favour of the Overlord (at least in 2-player) which was unfortunate (I played it out in advance on my own, to get down the rules, and thrashed my heroic self as the Overlord), but Jo still enjoyed it; we'll be carrying on with the campaign in a bit; hopefully it'll be a bit less overwhelming for the heroes as they level up and acquire better equipment.

The wife, my 12-year old and myself have been hammering Thunderstone on Facebook. At one stage we were all sitting down with iPads and laptops. We then saw sense and sat down for three games of Thunderstone Advance.

How did you do in the tourney?

Not terribly well! It was my first official session aside from regular Friday Night Magic and I was really just there for the experience. I played a Black/Red Zombies deck and got beat 2-1, 2-1, 2-1 in each round which I'm happy about. I almost took the tournament's winner out as I had him at 5 life for ages but the red land that I needed to draw to finish him never did happen. Almost getting him was the highlight of my day.

I'm just going to keep updating this I think:

Day 1:

Red November - trial solo game, relatively successful but a little bit confusing

Epic Spell Wars - trial solo round to learn the rules

Day 2:

Doom minis painting - finished off the prototype Hellknight, Reaver and Imp and almost finished the Mancubus

Carcassone - solo game on the XBLA version, which seems nice but wish it had some kind of campaign with escalating complexity.

Risk Factions - on XBLA, tried to start the campaign, it crashed, I deleted it.

Epic Spell Wars - had a game with the missus, both really enjoyed it but it's clearly designed for 3+ with many elements falling aside in a 2 player game. Easy enough, though, and we played a full 3 rounds to get the requisite 2 "Last Wizard Standing" tokens to win (I won). She even did the daft voice.

Yesterday - tinkering about with Dice Quest and making a much nicer version which I then played with Fudge. Then we had a three player of The Castles of Burgundy which was excellent.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday - tinkering about with Dice Quest and making a much nicer version which I then played with Fudge. Then we had a three player of The Castles of Burgundy which was excellent.

Dice Quest has a really nice mechanic for using the dice - I won't reveal any more but it's got to be a first. I think this one will do really well, I prefer it to D Day Dice!

As for Castles of Burgundy. This game is amazing, if you like euro style games then you have to get this. I must play it again ASAP!

I'm hoping to be able to have a look at Troyes or All Things Zombie tonight, but if I don't have time I'll carry on with Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I'm currently stuck in a maze, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Day 5:

Ticket to Ride (iOS) - more playing against a small phone. It's easy, accessible, and means I don't have to go upstairs.

Descent 2nd Edition - more rule reading. Hoping to play it this weekend if I'm not too hungover.

Day 6:

Doom - rule reading, trying to understand it. It's plainly obvious how different this is to Descent 2nd Edition now, really. Keeping a keen eye out for the expansion on eBay.

Dominion - rule reading, the box having just arrived, and playing through a couple of sample hands. Seems nice.

• Upvote 1

Day 7:

Farmageddon arrived, so a quick read of the rules and we had a family game of it. Seems good and we all had fun. A keeper, and I forgot I went for the double pack so my lad can have one and I can have another one for us adults.

Day 8:

I built dens with my lad in the garden and went on a bender at night, so no games played.

Day 9:

Hungover.