IGNORED

Npower League 2

neoELITE

http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/League2Home OFFICIAL LEAGUE SITE

As most of the football posters on here will know, I'm a Plymouth Argyle supporter and season ticket holder.

I doubt this thread will get much attention but the posts about the lower league in particular get lost in the main football thread.

Yesterday's results were:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gue-two/results

Plymouth lost 0-2 at home. It was a poor performance and it's going to be another long, hard season for the Green Army. We conceded a soft goal in the first half from a free-kick that was needlessly given away and then conceded a penalty in the second half.

Exeter lost 0-3 at home to Morecambe and Fleetwood played their first ever league fixture at home to Torquay in front of 3,624 fans but could only draw 0-0. Gillingham were relegated last season but got off to a good start winning 3-1 against Bradford City.

For me, Rotherham will go up as champions with Bristol Rovers and Cheltenham occupying the other two automatic promotion spots.

Relegation could well be Plymouth Argyle :(

Nice to finally see a lower league thread :)

Am an Oxford fan and would love to be going every week but am away from home at University.

Oxford were off to a good start yesterday against Bristol Rovers, a derby of sorts. Hoping for at least playoffs for us this season. Ended a bit disappointingly last campaign.

Am think us along with Chesterfield and Wycombe could be up there towards the end.

As for relegation, Barnet surely cannot survive a 4th relegation battle...

Nice to finally see a lower league thread :)

Am an Oxford fan and would love to be going every week but am away from home at University.

Oxford were off to a good start yesterday against Bristol Rovers, a derby of sorts. Hoping for at least playoffs for us this season. Ended a bit disappointingly last campaign.

Am think us along with Chesterfield and Wycombe could be up there towards the end.

As for relegation, Barnet surely cannot survive a 4th relegation battle...

Welcome aboard. Carols Valderama* is an Exeter City fan and there's a Bradford City fan I've noticed.

When I was little, my Dad took me to watch West Ham when we were in London and they played Oxford United - it was 0-0 and one of the worst games I've ever seen (other than yesterday of course).

Barnet and Dagenham will struggle but I think so will two of the three Devon clubs in this league.

*the rllmuk member - he's not THE Carlos Valderama

A point for Plymouth away at Dagenham (against a team we need to beat as they're relegation rivals), a point for Rovers away at Barnet (another relegation club) and Oxford make it 2 out of 2. You'll make it 3 out of 3 on Saturday as you have us at home... thus far, including pre-season friendlies we've played five league clubs and scored no goals. Oxford will blow us away. How we've fallen :(

On my forum there's calls for the manager to go already. I'm with them as he's clueless.

We won 3-0 at home to Portsmouth in the League Cup but they had one player over 18 in their side and I don't count that as a competitive/fair game.

Barnet 1 - 3 York

So, the first game of the season that I go to and it's apparent that our (Barnet) tag of favorites for the drop is well deserved. Yesterday had the familiar feel of deja vu;

-Appointment of a young manager with a remit to play attractive football and bring through players.

-With most of the squad out of contract, the team looks unfamiliar. Only 4 of the players starting yesterday were with us last year.

-By xmas, we'll be in the bottom 3, the manager will probably be sacked with ex-barnet managers Paul Fairclough or Martin Allen stepping in.

-Improbable last day escape from the drop.

The only thing that seems to be different to this start is that the fans don't seem to care anymore, there isn't much belief or atmosphere and an air of resignation already.

At least our mascot won a trophy for running fast.

Back to back wins for Exeter. Superb after the shocking performance on the opening day!

Alan Gow looks a different class at the moment and Cureton is rolling back the years again, I just hope they can keep it up.

Alan Gow was a talented prospect in the Championship for us but his attitude absolutely stank. He spent most of the time with his hands on his hips. Hopefully, he's grown up.

We inevitably lost 1-2 away at Oxford. I listened on the radio and although we scored, we sounded very poor and the match reports from travelling fans weren't good reading. I'm genuinely worried. The state of Devon football at the moment isn't very good.

I finally received my shirt for the season though. Didn't go for the official Puma kit but went for this charity number instead in support of our fan charity the Green Taverners.

Plym-Arg-Taverners.jpg

It's a shame we aren't playing you sooner!

Is the state of Devon football that bad? In all honesty, for Exeter and, especially, Torquay being in and around L1 is performing well, and the Turks have unfortunate in the play-offs.

It's only really Argyle that are a mess right now and even then, if being totally honest, that you are still in existence and in the league is pretty positive.

The battle for top Devon club will be interesting :)

It's a shame we aren't playing you sooner!

Is the state of Devon football that bad? In all honesty, for Exeter and, especially, Torquay being in and around L1 is performing well, and the Turks have unfortunate in the play-offs.

It's only really Argyle that are a mess right now and even then, if being totally honest, that you are still in existence and in the league is pretty positive.

The battle for top Devon club will be interesting :)

I think so. We're all in Division 4 and that, over the past 50 years, hasn't happened that often. I'd like to see all three clubs in a higher division as the South West clubs (Bristol isn't the South West) are all languishing in a very poor league. Combined, we had 13,392 attend our first league home games (PAFC 7,020 ECFC 3,792 TUFC 2,517) and that's pretty awful given the size of the South West in terms of population. Historically, Plymouth Argyle have been a second tier club and Exeter a third tier club and Torquay have swung between third and fourth tier. All this best team in Devon banter between the various forums is really parochial and undermines the ambition we should all have. I'd rather we were doing that in the Championship.

It makes me wince and cringe a little when I travel up North and you travel past Manchester and see the names of big football clubs all within close driving distance - down here it feels like we're out on a limb and that's bad for youth football and bad for attracting players.

It's early days and although I'm really pessimistic, I hope this season is better than the last one.

I think you're being generous describing Exeter as 3rd tier!

It's definitely got harder for City to attract and retain punters following the rise of the Exeter Chiefs. It's very disappointing that, I believe, this season pretty much every home game clashes with a home game for the Chiefs. In a small city they are pretty stiff competition.

I think you're being generous describing Exeter as 3rd tier!

It's definitely got harder for City to attract and retain punters following the rise of the Exeter Chiefs. It's very disappointing that, I believe, this season pretty much every home game clashes with a home game for the Chiefs. In a small city they are pretty stiff competition.

We've got Albion here and they used to alternate home games. That does seem very stupid as there are bound to be a good 1,000 people at least who have to decide whether to go to the football or the rugby.

A fantastic 3-2 win at Home Park for Plymouth yesterday against Northampton. We went in at half time 0-1 to a chorus of boos and went from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 with Rhy Griffiths coming on. He totally transformed the game and made the first goal and scored the second. He went off injured and only played 27 minutes but he was exceptional. We bought him from the League of Wales side Port Talbot and he was a retained fireman. He's a target man but he knows where the goal is - really pleased with how he adapted to League 2. His record in the League of Wales was amazing scoring 180 goals in 181 appearances for Llanelli and he's doing that for Plymouth now :)

3996102.png

Ade Akinfenwa for Northampton looked enormous and we all clapped him off as he took the "He eats what he wants, he eats what he wants, Akinfenwa, he eats what he wants!" chants with good humour.

4160402184.jpg

Good results for all three Devon clubs, Exeter won 3-0 at home against Burton Albion and Torquay drew 1-1 away at Port Vale.

Barnet lost away :(

Poor result for us on the weekend. 3-1 loss away at York.

Seems that our CB and keeper weren't having a very good game... conceded within 15 seconds and it was downhill from there.

Hope we can rebound on Wednesday against local rivals, Swindon. Before getting back on track on the weekend.

We need to make our home games solid as anything and I think we'll be ok to make playoffs this season, but obviously we want automatic.

(Oxford fan)

As a Bristol Rovers fan, Barnet losing away was a very good thing indeed.

A terrible start to the season for us and I see little sign of things improving. We lack pace, aggression, experience and flair.

Another tough season ahead I feel.

I don't think we can blame the team or the manager for the weather. I was off on my hols when the Wycombe game was called off. So the last thing I knew was that we were 3-1 up. Felt good, was happy, rang my dad mid-week... what!!! Bah!

Health and Safety gone maaaad.

Game on then!

In the 3 wins so far this season, the whole squad has looked strong and up front we've managed to carve defenses open. But after last weekend and depending on how the midweek clash with Swindon goes, we might be a bit shakey.

I don't think we can blame the team or the manager for the weather. I was off on my hols when the Wycombe game was called off. So the last thing I knew was that we were 3-1 up. Felt good, was happy, rang my dad mid-week... what!!! Bah!

Health and Safety gone maaaad.

It happened to us at home to Barnsley once and they were 4-1 up (the rearranged game ended 0-0). It was ridiculous though and walking home that night was an adventure as I tried to avoid shin high puddles and streets that were turned into rivers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8376276.stm

Mark Robins complained at the time but it was ridiculous and the referee had absolutely no choice.

A fantastic 3-2 win at Home Park for Plymouth yesterday against Northampton. We went in at half time 0-1 to a chorus of boos and went from 4-5-1 to 4-4-2 with Rhy Griffiths coming on. He totally transformed the game and made the first goal and scored the second. He went off injured and only played 27 minutes but he was exceptional. We bought him from the League of Wales side Port Talbot and he was a retained fireman. He's a target man but he knows where the goal is - really pleased with how he adapted to League 2. His record in the League of Wales was amazing scoring 180 goals in 181 appearances for Llanelli and he's doing that for Plymouth now :)

3996102.png

Ade Akinfenwa for Northampton looked enormous and we all clapped him off as he took the "He eats what he wants, he eats what he wants, Akinfenwa, he eats what he wants!" chants with good humour.

4160402184.jpg

How did we do in the game? We've started off the season quite brightly, and the new signings are quite impressive. Glad that 'Bayo' Akinfenwa took it all in good spirits, he's a club legend here and rightly so. He always plays consistently well with some great hold up play, and he always finds the back of the net on a regular basis so we love him here. He won't be first choice this season as Clive Platt has come in and he looks very decent, and the team is looking in much better shape. Aidy Boothroyd has worked wonders for us.

How did we do in the game?

A late response - apologies. Northampton did OK in the first half and went in 0-1 up. You played direct, long throw ins from Tozer and you were looking to hit the corner flags and get crosses in. Other than the goal, you didn't have that many clear chances though and our keeper didn't make any saves of note. Your right hand side played well in the first and pinned our left side back but that all changed in the second half and we overran you in midfield, got the ball out to the wings and scored three. You got a consolation at the end but it was virtually the last kick of the ball. It was a pretty entertaining game come the end although the first half showed two teams who are used to playing in a lower league - it really was poor and there was very little to get either sets of supporters going. The second half was far better (I am biased though) but chances started to come for both sides and the game opened up. A game of two halves.

We got a 0-0 draw in the first Devon derby last weekend - the attendance was good and we sold out the away end but Torquay had empty seats all over the place. Exeter did well away at Oxford and are up to second.

We've got Port Vale at home followed by a mid-week home game against the Gas (Bristol Rovers).

In other League 2 news, perenial lower league scum bucket Steve Evans has received a 6 game stadium ban for the trouble at Bradford City last season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19520436

There's an allegation that he exposed himself to a female member of the Bradford staff after the game too - that could possibly end with a prison sentence.

I wouldn't want him at my club.

I've stopped posting in this thread. For me, the season is over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19645867

This from our manager after another lacklustre display, rubbish result and yet more points dropped.

it was a case of it's easy to sit there and have a moan at players

It's not actually that easy to sit and watch the current pile of dross on our pitch - it's actually pretty difficult and at least 4,000 people over the past four years have decided not to.

I'd like our manager to get sacked and replaced by a manager. Teams coming to play Plymouth Argyle at Home Park must see the welcome to Plymouth sign as "HAVE SOME POINTS".

Shocking :(

I've stopped posting in this thread. For me, the season is over.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/19645867

This from our manager after another lacklustre display, rubbish result and yet more points dropped.

It's not actually that easy to sit and watch the current pile of dross on our pitch - it's actually pretty difficult and at least 4,000 people over the past four years have decided not to.

I'd like our manager to get sacked and replaced by a manager. Teams coming to play Plymouth Argyle at Home Park must see the welcome to Plymouth sign as "HAVE SOME POINTS".

Shocking :(

Did you watch Plymouth vs Bristol Rovers?

I would be interested on your view of the game if you have a moment :)

I'll post again as we won yesterday after being 2-0 down :) fickle fickle fickle

The Argyle vs Rovers game was fairly poor in terms of chances and football. It started well for Rovers and your midfield had free reign to run through ours. Our back four was in disarray for the first twenty minutes and if we'd ended up 2-0 down with 70 minutes to go, I'm not sure anybody could complain but, like my side of late, your early dominance didn't create any real chances. Our local boy Paul Wotton smashed the ball from about five yards away at head height into your dugout - much to their disgust and Lee Brown took him out with a two footed challenge and got booked. I'm not sure what that was all about. Hourihane scored from 30 yards with his left foot completely against the run of play - I was sat directly in line with the shot and I must say that your keeper really should have saved it.

Argyle then took off one of the strikers and resorted to one upfront and allowed Rovers to get back into it. Rovers played some decent stuff in the second half and made a few chances until the equaliser inevitably went in. I didn't really see much of the goal but it seemed like another keeping error.

It wasn't much fun to watch and the away support wasn't great either (around 300) - I'm not sure why this one was a Tuesday night - it would have been better as a Saturday 3pm kick off. I know Rovers usually start badly and get better (a bit like Everton) but I can see both sides really struggling at the lower end of mid table.

Your man of the match was the big bald fella at the back - he controlled the game as soon as we went one up front. I think he's called Garry Kenneth. He didn't look too mobile but he could certainly pass a football.

It looks like the Gillingham juggernaut is still rolling - they're already six points clear of fourth.