rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Art Vandelay

The Avalanches - New Album

Today is a day I thought would never come, the day The Avalanches release some new material, and jolly interesting it is too. It's a spoken word piece with David Berman.

http://soundcloud.com/tonedeaf/the-avalanches-a-cowboy

Other people featured on the album, which I don't think has a name yet, are Danny Brown, Ariel Pink and Jennifer Herrema. I know someone who's heard a bit of it and he says it's amazing. I've had my hopes up before only for them to be cruelly dashed by these feckless Aussies, but if they bail now I don't know what I'll do with myself.

• Upvote 1

Oh shit that link has so many things! Memories of downloading Gimix via AudioGalaxy on dialup just came flooding back then.

It's happening.

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s4474258.htm

No more teasing. Here it is at last: the first new single from The Avalanches in 16 years and details about their mythically overdue second album, which now has a name and release date.

Given its world premiere on triple j today, 'Frankie Sinatra' is the first taste of the new album, titled Wildflower, and features Danny Brown and masked hip-hop hero MF DOOM.

'Frankie Sinatra' is the track Danny Brown told triple j about backstage at Splendour In The Grass 2014 before it was revealed last month the title had been registered with APRA by band members Robbie Chater and Tony Di Blasi.

Built on a central hook sampling 'Bobby Sox Idol' by 1930s Calypso singer Wilmouth Houdini, the song bounces on a crazed circus tent beat dotted with oom pah horns, while Danny Brown drops some impish rhymes "Like Frank Sinatra, bitch/ did this shit 'My Way'.".

MF DOOM then pops by for a verse that weaves into a sample of 'My Favourite Things' from classic musical The Sound of Music.

The follow-up to the Aussie sample wizards one-and-only album, 2000's Since I Left You, is called Wildflower, and it's dropping in a month's time: on 8 July according to the band's website.

The album features 21 songs and guest spots from Father John Misty, Toro y Moi, Camp Lo, Biz Markie, Dirty Three's Warren Ellis and Jennifer Herrema of Royal Trux (one of several artists featured in that trailer video). Though we don't know who features on what tracks, you can view the artwork and tracklisting below.

Update 2.50pm: In a feature interview with Zane Lowe on Beats 1, Robbie and Tony revealed that Luke Steele (Empire of the Sun), Jens Lekman, and Connan Mockasin were among the artists who contributed but didn't make the final cut.

And the first track is up on Spotify

• Upvote 1

Video clip now up

And tracklisting is up http://doublej.net.au/news/music-news/the-avalanches-announce-first-new-album-in-16-years-hear-frankie-sinatra-now

1. The Leaves Were Falling
2. Because I’m Me
3. Frankie Sinatra
4. Subways
5. Going Home
6. If I Was A Folkstar
7. Colours
8. Zap!
9. Noisy Eater
10. Wildflower
11. Harmony
12. Live A Lifetime Love
13. Park Music
14. Livin’ Underwater (Is Somethin’ Wild)
15. The Wozard Of Iz
16. Over The Turnstiles
17. Sunshine
18. Light Up
19. Kaleidoscopic Lovers
20. Stepkids
21. Saturday Night Inside Out

• Upvote 2

They were playing frankie sinatra on the radio this morning, it's not very good. Actually, it's bad. It's not quite as annoying as wild beast's Floridada, but close. 

Which is a shame as I really liked the first album.

Hopefully the album as a whole will be better. 

Made me go and listen to SILY. Where the fuck did those 16 years go? 

Edited by And
  • Upvote 1

The first album seems generally regarded as a classic. I've never been convinced personally. Interested to hear some new stuff though, so will give it a listen later.

32 minutes ago, englishbob said:

The first album seems generally regarded as a classic. I've never been convinced personally. Interested to hear some new stuff though, so will give it a listen later.

The Worst Poster In 'Music'.

SILY is a masterpiece.

The new song is alright, but their music has always worked better as a whole, so I'm still optimistic.

• Upvote 1

New one isn't great. I'm holding out for the rest of it being a better. As shoes says above the first album was more about the thing as a whole rather than singles. 

Lots of people didn't like Frontier Psychiatrist, but it became fairly big and was nothing like the majority of the album.

I'm seeing them at Field Day. Please be good!

Yeah, I'm not really keen on Frankie Sinatra but there are sure to be better things on the album...

Like most people above I adored SILY and still do and I'm not convinced by The track but I don't think they are a 'singles' band.

I really like the new one. It's very silly, but there's not much wrong with that.

I just can't shake the thought that it sounds like a Gorrilaz record that was left on the cutting room floor & rightfully so. 

• Upvote 2

I didn't really feel Frankie Sinatra much either.  But the "these are a few of my favourite things" bit did remind me what technical wizards they are, and I'm hopeful that it'll work really well as a song in the context of the bigger album.

If I thought about it there's probably a lot of SILY songs that wouldn't work outside of the album, but it's the journey.  I have absolutely no idea what to expect from them live.  I've got a ticket to their gig at Oval Space, so I'm looking forward to it.  It's quite a long night (well, until 2am on a Thursday) so I'm hoping it'll be a big old mash up.

This is still one of my favourite dj mixes of all time, from anyone, it's just such a fun journey.

• Upvote 2

Also to add, I wonder if part of the reason I'm disappointed with Frankie Sinatra is that I want Since I left You lush, large, summery soundscapes.  I don't even know how to describe what the first few tracks of SILY are, but it's certainly not gypsy swing hip hop.

Which I hate.

I fucking hate Gogol Bordello.  It's that kind of vibe.  Yuck.  Fuck that man. 

If FS was anyone other than the Avalanches, who released an album so great and then did nothing for so long I couldn't help but deify them, I'd just dismiss whoever it was and never look back.  

ANYWAY I STILL HAVE THE FAITH AND ALSO TICKETS.

14 hours ago, myoozikk said:

I just can't shake the thought that it sounds like a Gorrilaz record that was left on the cutting room floor & rightfully so. 

I got that Gorrilaz vibe from it as well.

I'm not sure that I like it, and I don't like it near as much as the material from their first album which is annoying since the damn tune is stuck in my head now.

Danny Brown only recorded two tracks with them, so it isn't going to be a hip-hop album, thankfully.

They started off with a hip-hop EP, actually, which I didn't really like, and their new album was made by Robbie Chater only. The creative process on Since I Left You was fascinating:

Since I Left You is the debut studio album by The Avalanches. They started recording in 1999 and had used the working title of Pablo's Cruise. The duo primarily worked with a Yamaha Promix 01 and Akai S2000 samplers. 

Band's members, Darren Seltmann and Robbie Chater, spent hours sampling music from vinyl records to create the songs on the album: Chater estimates that there are over 3,500 samples. After sampling and arranging, the pair would swap their tapes, listen to each other's ideas and expand on whatever they had heard. Despite working separately, both Chater and Seltmann had nearly identical studio set-ups.

The Avalanches' are the sound of my summer, too. I always dig out their mixes when the weather gets nice. This is my favourite:

Calypso, house, rock, hip-hop. So good.

I saw these guys, well, 2 of them, at Oval Space the other week.

I had a great night.  It wasn't mind blowing, but I'm not disappointed, and I'm just glad to have been in the presence of some guys who made one of my favourite albums ever.

All it  was, was just an absolutely amazing DJ set.  Nothing more really.  Really eclectic mix, great vibe in the crowd.  I think I'd have enjoyed it more if it wasn't a school night (so I could have gotten riggity riggity wrecked) and if Oval Space wasn't so goddamned hot.

It was great to hear some of those amazing tracks mixed with some others, they danced around like idiots and so did we.  

I guess they're never really going to be able to recreate their magic live, because their process can't possibly be done on the fly.  Anyway, worth seeing them if you can, but I imagine after Field Day and Oval space that moment's passed for the UK until another 20 years.  

Oppffff Tame Impala's Kevin Parker (who turns out is just Tame Impala, so reads like Kevin's Kevin) plays drums. :facepalm:

Capture.JPG

Every thing I've heard from this album has been disappointing so I might skip it, unless reviews are fawning.

17 hours ago, englishbob said:

Oppffff Tame Impala's Kevin Parker (who turns out is just Tame Impala, so reads like Kevin's Kevin) plays drums. :facepalm:

Capture.JPG

Why the facepalm? Btw Tame Impala are also a live band, so whilst studio production is all down to him the project as a whole is more multi limbed.