rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Art Vandelay

The Avalanches - New Album

I remember seeing the mysterious tube ad they put out for the last album and listening to a crackly 30 seconds of Subways through an 0800 number outside Edgware Road station. They certainly know how to tease some excitement from a ravenous pack of dorks that’s for sure.

I have a feeling Jonathan Zawada has got something to do with the visuals for whatever it is they’re doing, which would be sensational.

On 10/01/2020 at 11:48, Purin said:

Endtroducing is better.

It absolutfuckinglutely is not.

• Downvote 2

11 hours ago, Festoon said:

It absolutfuckinglutely is not.

It's on another level.

4 minutes ago, Purin said:

It's on another level.

Yes, Level B. 

All the music mags wanked off about it but it just doesn't have the warmth the SILY has. Also, it just doesn't seem to be loved like SILY is, or bear up endless listens. It has some amazing stuff on it but...it's very good, excellent even. SILY is exceptional.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Yes, Level B. 

All the music mags wanked off about it but it just doesn't have the warmth the SILY has. Also, it just doesn't seem to be loved like SILY is, or bear up endless listens. It has some amazing stuff on it but...it's very good, excellent even. SILY is exceptional.

You can't account for taste. But personally I find Endtroducing has more soul, magic, and the touch of real genius missing in your pick.

As for bearing up to endless listens, well Endtroducing certainly does that and will live longer too.

1 hour ago, Purin said:

You can't account for taste. But personally I find Endtroducing has more soul, magic, and the touch of real genius missing in your pick.

As for bearing up to endless listens, well Endtroducing certainly does that and will live longer too.

'Live longer' is very odd. 

I feel End..feels more of it's time while SILY feels more timeless. Still, let a thousand flowers bloom and all that,

18 hours ago, Festoon said:

Sounds like Morse Code?

Anyone able to translate?

See my edit in the post you quoted. :) 

4 hours ago, Purin said:

Live longer in people's psyche, if it needed explaining.

I think that's already been shown? SILY is more often referred to,  certainly where I've seen.

The trick The Avalanches pulled which worked a treat was not to follow it up for 16 years. Shadow’s stock fell because of diminishing returns with any subsequent follow-ups that weren’t ever going to live up to the debut, as unfair as that may be.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

The trick The Avalanches pulled which worked a treat was not to follow it up for 16 years. Shadow’s stock fell because of diminishing returns with any subsequent follow-ups that weren’t ever going to live up to the debut, as unfair as that may be.

This is spot on.

14 hours ago, Festoon said:

I think that's already been shown? SILY is more often referred to,  certainly where I've seen.

We must live in parallel universes. In mine Entroducing is revered, played often, and Shadow often talked about. The Avalanches not so much, if at all. Do you not even have a daemon?!

• Upvote 1

On 11/02/2020 at 16:48, Qazimod said:

https://wwaly.earth/

Make of that what you will...

EDIT: the web page has some morse code audio - the beeps spell "The Avalanches"...

There's a new code on the same page - I think the beeps are "Feb Twenty". I guess this either hints at something this Thursday (February 20th) or this month (Feb '20)

Not relevant but went to see these guys  do a DJ set on NYE in here in Perth. Haven't been to a gig in years due to it being so expensive and fuck all people worth seeing coming here  ,  it was a cracking set , they were awesome live in what was a reasonably small venue.

I like it, but it doesn’t seem to evolve into much. But then I guess it probably fits into a wider tapestry. Probably. Hopefully. 

Yes I hope so, I don’t really like like listening to individual tracks from more album orientated artists, then again Since I Left You (the song) kicked me in the balls immediately first time I heard it. 

Yeah it's sublime. I'm sure it's probably to do with everything that's going on at the moment, and it being something that really effected me last year, but the David Berman/Purple Mountains reference in the middle sort of made me burst into tears as I wasn't expecting it at all. Lovely stuff, music. 

• Upvote 2

They've done it again. This is smashing.

Not sure how they manage melancholy and uplifting at the same time but they seem to have the knack.