The Avalanches - New Album

Art Vandelay

20th anniversary edition of Since I Left You is available to pre-order. Seems to be selling out pretty quick at retailers such as Bleep but managed to grab one from Piccadilly 

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/product.php?pid=138575

What with the Loveless deluxe vinyl and various Dinked editions selling out quickly now it seems you have to be on the ball to grab a limited edition these days.

They've also shared this lovely Prince Paul remix as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not that sure about these remixes to be honest. I'm certainly not being precious about the originals, but reinterpreting heavily sample based music never really works that well. It's like how there's basically no good DJ Shadow remixes either. Saying that, the roster of people is amazing on this so I'm willing to give it a chance. 

1 hour ago, Art Vandelay said:

I'm not that sure about these remixes to be honest. I'm certainly not being previous about the originals, but reinterpreting heavily sample based music never really works that well. It's like how there's basically no good DJ Shadow remixes either. Saying that, the roster of people is amazing on this so I'm willing to give it a chance. 

Your initial feeling is correct. They're grand, but they're one listen at most.

If you're not prepared to go this far then there's no point in bothering:

• 3 weeks later...

I may have been quick to judge these remixes, there's some really, really good stuff on there. The Stereolab and Edan ones are predictably great, but that Canyons track is just immense. I'm tempted to get this now just for that.

After an initial listen it’s not bad - there are some interesting ideas in there. Like, of course the piano hook in Tonight… is perfect for rap verses. (Also - more Electricity is never a bad thing. :) )

• 1 month later...