Press Reset: The Story of Polygon

Comrade

http://www.rockpaper...sins-creed-iii/

Inside a Post of Inside Assassin's Creed III

It’s one of the most anticipated blog posts in internet history. Now, in a one-part series, get an inside look at the creation of a blog post about a making of trailer for Assassin’s Creed III. Inside the process that’s behind one of the most exciting articles ever written. Inside the technical breakthroughs that made it all possible. And inside the mind of John Walker, one of the greatest games journalists ever to have lived.

“I just sit in front of the keyboard, and the genius falls out.”

This is, Inside A Post About Assassin’s Creed III.

Thursday morning, 9.25am, legendary games journalist John Walker looks at the schedule and sees there’s a space that needs filling at 10am. But what to do?

“Guys, there’s a space that needs filling at 10am. But what to do?”

The team scrambles into action. “I dunno, have you checked the email?” mumbles Jim Rossignol, carefully concealing his panic. “Sorry, what?” says Adam Smith, abandoning his extreme concentration and lifting his head from his desk. Alec Meer stirs, as Nathan sits thousands of miles away, knowing something is wrong. The team is in full action.

“The 10am slot is an incredibly pivotal time for gaming websites,” explains game blog historian, Simon Underpreach. “Making a mistake here can leave a site in dire straits until 10.30.”

“The right man for this is definitely John Walker,” says former RPS staff writer Kieron Gillen. “No one could do a better job than him – he’s the best in the business, and the only man we can trust to put up a video in the morning. And he’s an amazing healer.”

“The fascinating thing for me,” explains Walker, “is that I just paste the embed code and it all happens.”

“Then,” contributes Professor Anthony Stretchtree of Middlesupperborough University, “Walker just blends into the background.”

I wondered what had happened. I checked my phone earlier and a couple of names that are probably only familiar to those who post in the Gaming Podcasts thread were having a hugely entertaining argument, Arthur Gies (Rebel FM & Polygon) was desperately trying to defend himself against Rory Manion (ex 1up.com and star of most of Shawn Elliot's anecdotes) and not getting very far. I guess I should now watch the video in question!

I can't say I find Justin McElroy that funny at all, no hatred towards the guy or anything but I don't find him or his brothers humorous in the slightest. I did laugh when someone tweeter Arthur Gies asking if they could have a new PC and he called them an asshole lol.gif I do wonder what happened to all that money though that people (daftly) gave to them.

They actually answered that on Rebel FM fairly recently (within the past month or so) and they said they still have a lot of the money sitting in a bank account. They spent a couple of grand on new podcasting equipment and another grand or so on building a gaming PC for Tyler Barber who appears on the podcast regularly. They also use the money to get the food in every time they podcast because they feel they should feed anybody who appears as a guest. Not as interesting an answer as I'd hoped for sadly. :(

A few of the people involved seem to be taking the criticism very badly. Some of them contacting John Walker and insisting he 'reach out' (WHY do US journalists use that shitty phrase?) to correct factual errors. Mad.

Odd that a bunch of reviewers don't understand the concept of an opinion piece :S

Does anyone else find the gaming bit of theverge absolutely unreadable? It's like Kotaku fed through the Lings Cars stylesheet.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming

Here's the link to episode one.

http://www.theverge....-be-certifiable

The very first line of the video is 'the beginning was humble' (in reference to something else). They've got to be trolling now!

If you go to their site polygon.com it's currently 'sponsored by ClearMen Scalp Therapy'. :lol:

I honestly thought Indie Game: The Movie was satire when I saw the trailer. I still can't believe it's actually serious.

Indie game the movie is very good. It's very easy to bounce-off most of the guys in it, but Ed McMillen carries the film with his big personality.

So the future of games journalism is a heightened sense of self-importance coupled with a complete lack of self-awareness? Bring back the days when editors would insert witty, and not so witty, asides into the reviews and you knew what the journalist looked like because they had an exaggerated cartoon version of themselves next to their name.

From someone who plays a hell of a lot of videogames but pretty much avoids all forms of games journalism, the few dips I do have I find impossibly po-faced and inpenetrable.

Chet and Jon are great, though. I love their podcast. No forced jokes, no heightened sense of worth. No idea if they're on here but keep it up boys.

So the future of games journalism is a heightened sense of self-importance coupled with a complete lack of self-awareness?

Don't forget the website built using responsive design. Innovation, yeah!

After countless tweets, a few blog posts, a teaser, a trailer, and now one episode in, and I'm still not sure on what it is that they are doing they so fresh and new.

After countless tweets, a few blog posts, a teaser, a trailer, and now one episode in, and I'm still not sure on what it is that they are doing they so fresh and new.

It's a website which is sometimes not as wide as it can be.

From someone who plays a hell of a lot of videogames but pretty much avoids all forms of games journalism, the few dips I do have I find impossibly po-faced and inpenetrable.

Chet and Jon are great, though. I love their podcast. No forced jokes, no heightened sense of worth. No idea if they're on here but keep it up boys.

Yeah same here. I quite like Giant Bomb as they seem to not take it particularly seriously.

What an odd video this is, though. Have they said how many they're going to do?

The gaming media is so much worse lately than its ever been. Remember a time when you saw a new screenshot for GTA3? People either went, 'that looks interesting' and got excited or 'that looks a bit pants' and that was it. Now every single polygon is scrutinised in detail. Look at sites posting GTA 5 screens, they are going into detail over whos ear matches who and what that alley way could possible mean for a mission and how that texture is a slightly different shade to that one. Everyone is going into microscopic detail about every little thing, coming up with their own theories.

E3 used to be exciting in the lead up but now its filled with a bunch of nobodies going on about what they think will be shown in 5 minutes time instead of keeping their mouths shut and throwing out wild theories and guesses to fill posts with. Gaming is losing its fun side because all the writers out there fill countless pages with waffle leading up to the games launch, ejaculate with a review of the game and then forget it ever existed, never once going back to the theories they were making up just a week before. Magazines used to for years talk about old games they were playing, new things they'd found or games they'd forgotten about but decided to give another try, not now, its always a march forwards with no looking back. Back when Daily Radar first started out you'd be lucky to get one or 2 news stories a day, but at least they were news and interesting, now its a constant 5 minute stream of new thoughts from multiple writers with no thought or investigation and at times little knowledge.

It wouldn't be so bad if most of these writers knew what they are talking about but they just say buzz words or half sentences they heard a developer once say without knowing what they are talking about, especially when talking about actual development of games. Then on their podcast using segue ever single sentance as if its some kind of relay race. Gaming should be fun, not analytical on all the detail. And polygon looks exactly like that, trying to be mature in the same way Mortal Kombat was a mature game for its day because it had red pixels.

The first episode is... not as bad as I expected?

But the complete American-focused history of games journalism at the start easily explains their awful attitude. Apparently shitholes like IGN and Kotaku set the standard because they get the most traffic. Righto.

It seems that most American journos are fine to never question the status quo and happy to get exploited, I mean just look at this idiot:

http://www.punchingsnakes.com/?p=679

Holding up hacks like Ben Kuchera and Jim Sterling as people to aspire to, simply because they've managed to get a platform for their terrible, debased stream of consciousness drivel through sheer persistence. Woeful.

The main thing that hamstrings Polygon's credibility and aspirations are the involvement of Brian Crecente (the embodiment, along with the inexplicably still employed Brian Ashcraft, of everything lazy, cynical and shit about Kotaku) and Russ Pitts (the guy who turned The Escapist into a clearing house for unwatchable film school nonsense, dragged along on the coat-tails of Zero Punctuation, for whom humility is an alien concept - presumably Press Reset is this guy's idea.). If these two jokers were shown the door and even one respected, known name journalist brought on board Polygon might have a chance to live up to their claims.

Emily Gera is awesome, but I have no expectations whatsoever that Polygon's international writers will get any say over the direction of the site.

Sure remember when CheapAssGamer did the competition to see who could do the best fake story reported on Kotaku ? It was absolutely hilarious and Brian Crescente fell for it, got caught out and then basically blamed CAG for it rather than them admitting to being the shitty website they so obviously are :lol:

The first episode is... not as bad as I expected?

But the complete American-focused history of games journalism at the start easily explains their awful attitude. Apparently shitholes like IGN and Kotaku set the standard because they get the most traffic. Righto.

It seems that most American journos are fine to never question the status quo and happy to get exploited, I mean just look at this idiot:

http://www.punchingsnakes.com/?p=679

Holding up hacks like Ben Kuchera and Jim Sterling as people to aspire to, simply because they've managed to get a platform for their terrible, debased stream of consciousness drivel through sheer persistence. Woeful.

The main thing that hamstrings Polygon's credibility and aspirations are the involvement of Brian Crecente (the embodiment, along with the inexplicably still employed Brian Ashcraft, of everything lazy, cynical and shit about Kotaku) and Russ Pitts (the guy who turned The Escapist into a clearing house for unwatchable film school nonsense, dragged along on the coat-tails of Zero Punctuation, for whom humility is an alien concept - presumably Press Reset is this guy's idea.). If these two jokers were shown the door and even one respected, known name journalist brought on board Polygon might have a chance to live up to their claims.

Emily Gera is awesome, but I have no expectations whatsoever that Polygon's international writers will get any say over the direction of the site.

Appreciated, MK <3

Holding up hacks like Ben Kuchera

While I wasn't a fan of Kuchera's stuff in the past I like what he's doing with Penny Arcade Report.

Part 1 wasn't as bad as I feared they all lack a sense of perspective. This isn't a group of guys deciding they could do it better and doing it themselves, like say Rock Paper Shotgun. This is someone with huge corporate backing getting a group together to make a new gaming website. They all talk in apocalyptic tones about how much is riding on this, what happens to all the little people if they fail. What happens to them?!?!?! I guess they go get jobs with another website, well maybe not now they called the rest shit in a self serving documentary.