Weekend fixtures 24th - 26th August 2012

Somebody suggested that if we are going to have a dedicated sports folder then we might as well make the most of it and have a thread for each round of games. Fixtures formatted by the rather excellent whoscored.com I've just done the top two divisions in England for now. I'll just link to the fixtures for La Liga, Serie A, the Bundesliga the Scottish Premier League and Ligue un.

Friday, Aug 24 2012

19:45 Bolton vs Nottingham Forest Sky Sports 1

Saturday, Aug 25 2012

12:45 Swansea vs West Ham Sky Sports 2

15:00 Tottenham vs West Bromwich Albion

15:00 Aston Villa vs Everton

15:00 Manchester United vs Fulham

15:00 Norwich vs Queens Park Rangers

15:00 Southampton vs Wigan

15:00 Sunderland vs Reading

17:30 Chelsea vs Newcastle United ESPN

Saturday, Aug 25 2012

13:00 Bristol City vs Cardiff

15:00 Middlesbrough vs Crystal Palace

15:00 Brighton vs Barnsley

15:00 Blackpool vs Ipswich

15:00 Huddersfield vs Burnley

15:00 Sheffield Wednesday vs Millwall

15:00 Charlton vs Hull

15:00 Peterborough vs Leeds

15:00 Wolverhampton Wanderers vs Derby

15:00 Blackburn vs Leicester

17:20 Watford vs Birmingham Sky Sports 2

Sunday, Aug 26 2012

13:30 Stoke vs Arsenal Sky Sports 1

16:00 Liverpool vs Manchester City Sky Sports 1

Of course the stat always gets wheeled out that Villa vs Everton are the only two clubs who have spent more than 100 seasons in the top flight which of course makes this the most played fixture in the English top flight. This will be the 195th meeting of the clubs in the league, which I think is also the same number of times that Barcelona played Real Madrid last year.

As for the game? Well, the optimist in me sees a Villa win. New Manager, first home game, Darren Bent back fit (etc). The realist in me sees us getting totally overpowered in midfield and our attack being about as much threat to the Everton defence as they were to West Ham on Saturday (ie, not much) and while we will probably have a lot of possession we will create very little. If I were a betting man I'd go for a low scoring draw or a narrow Everton victory.

Another season of struggle is highly likely at Villa Park given how weak and inexperienced our squad currently is and how ineffective creative players like Stephen Ireland and Charles N'Zogbia have been since they signed. I cant see us going down, but I would be extremely surprised if we finished in the top half of the table.

I've added which channel the televised games are on. All the televised games will be on the radio. I dont think BBC Radio 5 Live have a commentary on Saturday at 3pm as they are covering the Rugby League challenge cup final at Wembley, 5 Live sports extra seem to be covering cricket all day. Cant see any commentary at 3pm for TalkSport either. Obviously plenty of games will be covered by local radio stations.

Predictions, anyone? I can see Soton getting their first win, Fulham clinching a draw at Old Trafford and WBA continuing to impress as AVB's Spurs are still finding their feet.

This is when it starts to feel real again for me. Ah, it's good to have Soccer AM and Jeff back :wub:

I've added which channel the televised games are on. All the televised games will be on the radio. I dont think BBC Radio 5 Live have a commentary on Saturday at 3pm as they are covering the Rugby League challenge cup final at Wembley, 5 Live sports extra seem to be covering cricket all day. Cant see any commentary at 3pm for TalkSport either. Obviously plenty of games will be covered by local radio stations.

Absolute radio have United- Fulham with Ian Wright doing commentary. He can't be any worse than Collymore, can he?

Yeah. Clear red card, Jelavic was clean through on goal and Clark took him out. In the past five minutes Everton have hit the bar and should have had a penalty too, but the referee decided the foul was 0.001 inches outside the area. It really should be six or seven nil at the moment, we are being torn to shreds.