IGNORED

Shin Megami Tensei IV, first trailer

Preacher

Here's the trailer for Shin Megami Tensei IV, the sequel to Lucifer's Call/Nocturne, that came bundled with the recently released remake of SMT: Soul Hacker (also on 3DS):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynm0dZ5mcTY

No other news to report, besides this being 3DS exclusive for the time being. It's not a lot to go on, admittedly, but might as well start the thread now. In the meantime, here's a subbed trailer for Soul Hacker. It's a remake of the 1997 Sega Saturn game which, by most accounts, is actually very good. I'm sure it'll warrant its own thread at some point, providing it gets localized:

I'm hyped for Soul Hacker right now. An American release seems likely, but I don't trust it'll find its way to Europe, which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just get an American 3DS come the time and save myself a lot of grumbling.

EDIT: Incidentally, Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey was originally intended to be the fourth installment of the main series, but because it wasn't set in Tokyo, they decided to make it a separate entity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Some new footage is out courtesy of the official website http://megaten4.jp

Looks good - seems you can see your enemy encounters now, which I'm not sure about. As long as the trademark difficulty is still there then I don't think its an issue. Soundtrack is already amazing.

Recent interview stated there are over 400 demons in this, which also probably explains why the battles are completely in 2D.

Really hope it gets a translation.

EO4 was (amazingly) announced in the last EU Nintendo Direct so I have vaguely more hope now that SMT4 or SOul Hackers might come out too.

Like Code of Princess, they'll probably all be eShop releases published by Atlus but at least it's something.

Nocturne was my favourite game on the ps2 with it's minimal, subtle but very adult way of storytelling, jaw dropping enemy designs, spectacular levels (tower of Katatsuchi, Amala Labyrinth) and overall aesthetics. It kinda feels like dark souls in that it's clearly a labor of love but you will have to make a real effort to get the most out of it. Very excited it's successor is finally coming, sounds awesome and looks almost as good as Nocturne ;)

I've very high hopes for this. Strange Journey and Nocturne were excellent.

Like Code of Princess, they'll probably all be eShop releases published by Atlus but at least it's something.

I'd be happy with that. I really can't see them not bringing SMT IV over in some form - it's the latest installment in their flagship series.

• 1 month later...

As I expected, the game will be released this summer in North American regions: http://www.atlus.com/smt4/index.html I'll hit the pre-order button as soon as VGP has updated its website.

Although Strange Journey was superb and Soul Hackers will undoubtedly be great as well, I'm eagerly looking forward to IV. I always imagine the creation of a numbered Shin Megami Tensei as a decennial event at Atlus Japan's development studio, where other franchises just happen in between. All development is halted and the best of each development team is allowed to work on the new MegaTen. Just my imagination, heh. Of course, with Cozy gone, Meguro working on Persona 5 and Kaneko bizarrely absent, it's going to be a unique adventure - for better or worse.

• 3 weeks later...

The US is getting a gorgeous special edition

https://www.videogamesplus.ca/images/smt4_limited_open.jpg

A 176-page Strategy & Design Book that includes the official starter strategy guide and full-color artwork ranging from concept art to in-game pieces to never-used designs from the new Shin Megami Tensei series character designer, Masayuki Doi. (Not available for separate retail sales.)

· The Shin Megami Tensei Music Collection CD that offers a collection of tracks specially selected from across the 20-plus-year history of the SMT series

· A deluxe-sized Collectible Slipcase featuring key art designed by Masayuki Doi.

· Shin Megami Tensei IV Game

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Reading NeoGaf (where else?) it seems like this is going to be a sequel in the same universe like Final Fantasy X-2 or something. I was hoping the final moniker meant it was to be a re-release of IV onto some platforms I own.

Anyway, expect this in europe in space year 2025, download only, featuring Dante from Devil may Cry and Hatsune Miku.