IGNORED

Computer and Video Games

Oh Danny Boy

I loved it back in the 80's because it was my first but looking back now it wasn't all that.

Except for the Adventure column. I wasn't big into text adventures but there was something about Keith Campbell's little corner of the magazine that felt like a community, almost like a forum or newsgroup.

Oh and of course Jerry Paris' great strip Bughunters.

Used to buy this every month without fail during that PS1-Dreamcast era!

I remember Steve Key went onto some footie mag that didn't last very long (it sort of bridged the gap between Match/Shoot and FourFourTwo) and I know Alex Huhtahla (?) became a PR guy for Square for a little while, no idea what happened to the (SEGA mad) Ed Lomas but the mag went down hill when the editor changed from Paul Davies.

It wasn't too bad during the era of that Star Wars Episode 1 Racer issue, it got much much worse than that around the time of the PS2 launch before Future bought out emap (I think that was its publisher?) and kind of shoved CV&G and Gamesmaster together without improving Gamesmaster at all (I still can't comprehend how that magazine is still going, worse still one of my colleagues occassionally buys it...)

Used to buy this every month without fail during that PS1-Dreamcast era!

I remember Steve Key went onto some footie mag that didn't last very long (it sort of bridged the gap between Match/Shoot and FourFourTwo) and I know Alex Huhtahla (?) became a PR guy for Square for a little while, no idea what happened to the (SEGA mad) Ed Lomas but the mag went down hill when the editor changed from Paul Davies.

It wasn't too bad during the era of that Star Wars Episode 1 Racer issue, it got much much worse than that around the time of the PS2 launch before Future bought out emap (I think that was its publisher?) and kind of shoved CV&G and Gamesmaster together without improving Gamesmaster at all (I still can't comprehend how that magazine is still going, worse still one of my colleagues occassionally buys it...)

I know Ed Lomas ended up on Official Dreamcast Magazine but since that died i have no idea

A quick internet search sent me to an old rllmuk thread:

Maybe Ed Lomas gave up gaming after the end of SEGA? waiting till the day when he can be the editor of an official mag for a new SEGA console

I'd agree that the redesign was when it died. CVG was never a magazine filled with words as everything was in box outs but if you put them altogether you'd have a good solid page of writing. The redesign basically became the captions under pictures in a slightly larger font and that was the whole article. Lots of pictures and lots of captions, no in depth editorial just explaining what was in the picture and sometimes not even that.

The online side got worse when every article had BOK! or Shit the bed! in it and i stopped reading it very quickly. For me the xmas 96 or 97 issue was one of the best magazines ever made, filled with reviews and previews of exciting games for all the 3 major formats like Diddy Kong Racing or Virtua Cop etc along with this issue.

gallery_8976_81_369000.jpg

I started reading it around 1987; it had some review of Silkworm in it, and I was obsessed with shooters as a kid, and wouldn't play anything else. I've got vivid memories of reading some review of Strider in it out of boredom, then playing the coin-op minutes later on holiday, and my mind being blown at all these genres I'd completely neglected.

Kept buying it until the first utter shambles of a makeover, with the MASSIVE pages, terrible artwork, and completely weird screenshots that looked like their printers were broken - and then of course picking it up again during the Lomas/Davies era. Man, it was so fucking good - like a proper update of the old CVG, with mentally-enthusiastic staff who were obviously having far too much fun at work.

Fucking EMAP.

I remember one of their back page spreads being about Sonic Adventure and they'd gotten hold of a Sonic and a Knuckles plushie and stuck them in front of some Aztec looking structure (SEGA may have done that, but looking around it seems the mag had an excellent relationship with SEGA). My mate was ridiculously excited for that game and bought four issues of it so he could sick the photos and artwork all over his art folder.

From then on, our art folders became shrines to the Dreamcast with cut up bits of CVG stuck to them (I had PSO, Crazy Taxi, ChuChu Rocket on mine :) )

I think their lack of bias in regards to platforms is the reason I've always ended up with multiple consoles (the only one I've missed out on whilst it was still current was the N64, I've got one now though :D )

Only ever bought a couple of issues, tended to read a friend's copy when they bought it into school. Hated it in later years when the horrendous page layouts seemed to be competing with Gamesmaster for who could produce the most garish page possible...

The first videogame magazine i ever regularly read between 1997 and 1999.

Often referred to as "when CvG was good. The whole stable of Emap publications around that time period were great, Mean Machines, Sega Saturn magazine, MAXIMUM, Playstation Plus (Not sure of the title) but the one they did. There was a lot of cross pollination between the staff writers as they were all in the same building and helped out when needed.

I was lucky enough to go to their offices one time to pimp my companies wares. I was so excited and it lived up to my expectations, all really cool guys.

I don't think I ever bought a copy, but I always saw them on the shelves. I think there were always one or two magazines in our library and I sometimes picked it up to skim the tips section and find out if there was anything worth knowing about the games we had. I seem to remember discovering the Sonic 1 "editor" cheat in one of the magazines but I couldn't get it to work back home - I think I was pressing some buttons consecutively instead of simultaneously, or something... :hmm:

I used to love reading about the new arcade games - it was the best at the time for that compared to most of the "computer mags" i was reading.

it made me the graphics hoar that i am today but i grew out of it by the Amiga days and to be honest - ZZap was a much better read.

But i recall the issue where they first showed Marble Madness, and i also recall some mental looking arcade racer by Konami (i think) which to this day i can't recall the name of.

They also had a Gyruss compo once. Not sure why i recall that either.

But yeah, it pretty much got me hooked on shmups because they always looked so busy and exciting in that mag at the time. They still do.

I only have a few issues from the late90s-2000 Davies/Lomas era, and a few later ones from that "monstrosity" redesign with the flap cover. Freeplay was excellent: in the section on readers' game ideas, someone came up with an idea for a Jackie Chan game - which was the first time I'd ever heard of him! Funny the things you remember...

Not sure if it's been posted on the forum before, but on Youtube I found a video of the EMAP offices in 1998, featuring Steve Key playing a football game and Paul Davies picking his nose. Filmed by Ed Lomas, I think!

Funny he should point out those South Park stickers - I remember when South Park first got shown in the UK and Drawinz Wot You Dun got completely overwhelmed with fanart based around "Oh my God they killed Kenny" - so all SP fanart printed in the following issue received turds. :D

I have a copy of a tie-in book called "Computer and Video Games: The Essential Guide" (published by Boxtree), which was published in 1994, a slightly earlier C&VG era. It's in pretty tatty condition as I acquired it from a sale in my school library.

Some interesting features in there, like a developer diary from Bullfrog staff as they were developing Magic Carpet. It's always fun to go back and look at what games mags thought of the Saturn and PSX before their release - want me to scan in some pages from it?

In the same library sale, I got another book from around the same time, "Mean Machines: The Essential Sega Guide", containing lots of MD/SMS/GG/MCD reviews by Jaz Rignall and Rich Leadbetter. :wub:

First issue was in 1991 with Snow Brothers on the cover - it had a whole Tips section for The Adventures of Link which I was stuck on but it just didn't seem to make any sense (taking keys from other castles probably didn't help). Stuck with it through the Mark Patterson era (Rise of the Robots getting 92 and 91% for the Megadrive and SNES versions respectively) into the glory of the 32 bit age.

I stubbornly held out for an Ultra 64 (which wasn't bad by any stretch but lacked all those Capcom fighters, NiGHTS and Guardian Heroes) so I used to pour over the PlayStation and Saturn pages with a great deal of envy. Years later when I picked up a Saturn second hand, I went back over all those old issues playing catch-up. The sheer relentless enthusiasm for truly great games was just unmatched.

First magazine I bought back in something like 1983. Used to love the arcade sections and reading Tony Takeshi (sp?) talking about the PC Engine. Oddly, it got me into the best magazine of that time - Crash. I went to the newsagents but they didn't have the Christmas C&VG in stock, only a Spectrum only magazine called Crash. The rest is history. Still bought it for a few months after but it was never the same again.

My dad used to love the type-ins!

Only torrents available of the issues? No NZB? :(

Ed Lomas apparently works for Yahoo! now: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ed-lomas/10/15a/301. I was actually looking him up and some other journalists from my childhood a few weeks ago for some I can' remember.

I remember the glory years mentioned by the OP and getting seriously excited by the releases of Resident Evil 2 and the Tamagotchi just from their coverage of them. There was a genuine feeling of love for games in the writing. Heck, they even made me want a Saturn after reading about the superior ports of Quake and Duke Nukem by Lobotomy to the system. And yes, the magazine went to shit when it changed format and got its "new look". From what I remember that coincided with Dennis Publishing buying the title and presumably that happened because of declining sales, so they would have wanted to go in a different direction. However, it wasn't close to an improvement and I gave up reading it.

I came across a site with scans recently. It may have been this one although I had thought there were more issues there than that. I usually bookmark these things but can't find it. :(