IGNORED

2012 London Paralympics

Luke

I watched the men's t46 200m heats last night and all of them had either one right arm or both hands/ forearms missing. Is there a distinct advantage to running the bend with that arm which means without it, you fall into a less able category or something?

My friends sister just won silver in the swimming,Stephanie Millward, keep an eye on her for more!

Swansea girl as well! :)

Actually so is Ellie, probably because of the Welsh National Pool. Which I'm 10 minutes away from. Need to take up swimming again...

I'm a bit worried about how GB are doing in the medal tables. OK, 3rd on golds and second on total medals is nothing to be ashamed of, but I did genuinely think GB stood a chance of topping the table on golds, but am becoming less confident.

I mentioned in the Olympic thread that if the GB Paralympic team saw the same improvement since Beijing as the Olympic team, and the Chinese saw the same decline, then GB would be just two golds behind. I didn't think it would be unrealistic that they'd see even more of a boost.

So far, it looks like GB are missing gold and hitting silver a few too many times, and are not doing as well in the velodrome as would be hoped. Whilst China are storming ahead on golds. Still early days, mind.

I think I posted this in the other thread too, but GB have finished second at eight of the previous thirteen Paralympic games, and have only finished lower than third on two occasions. GB have a Paralympic record to be much more proud of than the Olympic one; I actually think GB's Paralympic record is something to be amazingly proud of.

The host nation have also topped the table at 3 of the last 4 games, which would also seem to bode well.

It would be amazing to top the tables, but China have dominated at the last two games, and look set to do so again.

America probably weren't pleased with their result in the last three games, and it looks like they may do worse still this time round. Though, they'll probably just adopt the same attitude they have with other sports they don't excel at.

Had an amazing evening in the Aquatics Centre today. Ellie Simmonds winning gold was obviously the highlight - with a wall of sound accompanying her - but all of the races were inspiring in some way. The blind swimmers being prodded as they neared the edge; the Ukranian being tipped out of his wheelchair into the pool since he had such limited upper body movement.

I disagree with Graham - the atmosphere has been at least as good as for the Olympics. Maybe it's down to the events you attend.

I mentioned in the Olympic thread that if the GB Paralympic team saw the same improvement since Beijing as the Olympic team, and the Chinese saw the same decline, then GB would be just two golds behind. I didn't think it would be unrealistic that they'd see even more of a boost.

America probably weren't pleased with their result in the last three games, and it looks like they may do worse still this time round. Though, they'll probably just adopt the same attitude they have with other sports they don't excel at.

That's a lot of ifs

And what attitude? To not bother?

Spent the evening at the wheelchair basketball. Saw GB have an easy win over Colombia, before a much better game between Canada and Poland. Looked like the Poles might have given the Canadians a stern test, but they have a guy called Patrick Anderson, who is clearly the wheelchair equivalent of Michael Jordan.

Much more interesting sport than it's able-bodied equivalent though. And with aiming for the same height basket from four feet lower, arguably more skilful.

The general atmosphere in the Park was way down compared to the Olympics. Felt a bit like the last day of a festival when everyone's tired and ready to go home. I feel a bit melancholy really. A bit of a simulacrum of the Olympics, without the same thrill and flavour. For a while it felt like Stratford was the centre of the world, but not any more. It really is over.

Not yesterday, the whole park was absolutely heaving. I reckon they must have sold 50k of those general access tickets. There were huge queues for absolutely everything - McDonalds, the megastore, the various events for kids. I've never visited Disneyworld which may be similar, but the whole atmosphere seems out-of-this world somehow - all the relentlessly happy volunteers, the exhortations to pick up litter and recyle, no-one causing any bother.

As for the sport, I was priviliged to be at the sweat-box known as the velodrome to see gold, silver and bronze for GB, standing at the very back to add additional oomph, and then to get into the athletics stadium which was almost full. You don't realise how all the facilities - concessions and toilets principally are external to the main structure, making for a rather unusual construction. I was up in the gods behind the flame and the view was superb but my eyesight isn't good enough now to read the scoreboard which was at the opposite end of the stadium. The commentators did a good job though in trying to keep attention on all of the various field events as well as the track - the various classifications mean there are multiple events at each distance, so there is a very full programme each session. Th dj also had an interesting selecton of classic tracks, which with the generosity of the crowd ,made for a very mellow evening.

It wasn't the number in the crowd I was referring too, but the mood, and the crowd's composition. It was less intense, less fevered. Bit more relaxed, and enjoyable in its own way, less tense and corporate, but different. The difference between a European Cup Final and the Charity Shield.

I'm not trying to put people on the defensive, or assert that the Olympic experience was better somehow, I just was relating my own impressions.

Also many fewer people holding up signs with little groups of sponsor folk following them, and gold medal winning wheelchair athletes cruising very very slowly from the stadium back to the village being stopped every five feet for a group photo.

There were quite large groups of overseas folk in the stadium and wheelchair basketball arena though. I suppose that's one of the big advantages of holding this kind of event in London, rather than in the likes of Bejing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta, Barcelona...

British girl just got a silver medal for a walking her horse around in a fancy fashion. To my eyes, was completely indistinguishable from every other performance. Completely saved as an event by the easy listening, which was highly enjoyable, would listen again.

I'm a bit worried about how GB are doing in the medal tables. OK, 3rd on golds and second on total medals is nothing to be ashamed of, but I did genuinely think GB stood a chance of topping the table on golds, but am becoming less confident.

So far, it looks like GB are missing gold and hitting silver a few too many times, and are not doing as well in the velodrome as would be hoped. Whilst China are storming ahead on golds. Still early days, mind.

I think I posted this in the other thread too, but GB have finished second at eight of the previous thirteen Paralympic games, and have only finished lower than third on two occasions. GB have a Paralympic record to be much more proud of than the Olympic one; I actually think GB's Paralympic record is something to be amazingly proud of.

The host nation have also topped the table at 3 of the last 4 games, which would also seem to bode well.

As you say, they're not converting enough of their silvers into golds, but remember they were starting from a much higher initial point than TeamGB. I think 2nd is always the best they're going to hope for.

Had a day pass for the ExCeL. 10 quid to watch any event that had spare seats. Just squeezed in to sitting Volleyball to watch Team GB beat Morocco. Fantastic atmosphere.

Then a Gold Medal match and ceremonies I the table tennis. Great sport to watch live. Only thing was that the gold and bronze matches were taking place at the same time which meant noise and concentration was divided. (in fact they finished within a couple of seconds of each other).

Then to the end of the power lifting. This was fascinating. Bloke comes in on a wheelchair and has two minutes to lift over 200 kilos. He has to get three white lights off the judges. In the end, the winner failed at 225.5kgs with one white and two reds. Not sure how, but he came back for a last go at a new world record 226kgs. Arena was really noisy, then who could hear a pin drop for the lift. Slight pause, three white lights and people *erupted* out of their seats. 3000 on their feet for a world record by some bloke we had never heard of. Just spine tingling.

So. Team GB win, two Gold Medals and a world record. For a total ticket price of a tenner. Brilliant value.

I had a day pass for the ExCel yesterday with a session pass for the Powerlifting. So so so many people. The queue to get into one of the volleyball sessions was halfway down the hall. Saw some table tennis, Joe Ingram in Judo, womens volleyball match, then the powerlifting.

I bloody loved it, nice atmosphere, everyone happy to chat, nice to be able to dip in and out of things and everything I saw was at least 70% full at any one point.

Wheelchair basketball tomorrow evening. USA vs Spain should be good!

I did not expect THAT. It's like Bolt getting beaten in the Olympics.

Not so much - he's been quite clear that all his training for the last year has been focused on the 400m.

He'll almost certainly get beaten in the 100m too.

Still got the WR in the 200m.