IGNORED

2012 London Paralympics

Luke

It was powerlifting and sitting volleyball tonight.

The powerlifting was good. I love weightlifting, it's a perfect Olympic event. The competition format is dramatic and the thin line between success and failure is clear. Powerlifting isn't quite as good as Olympic lifting. It's just bench pressing, so the range of motion is much less interesting compared to the power, speed, balance and technique of an Oly lift. Also, for some reason it's much harder to judge a good lift, I often predicted it wrong.

Saw a set or two of USA v Brazil sitting volleyball, which was fine, but I didn't stay for Rwanda Bosnia.

Same again on Wednesday with wheelchair fencing added to the mix, which I'm looking forward to as I haven't seen any fencing yet.

Overall, excellent value for a fiver. Thanks again Orbette.

With all the different events and stuff some of you may have missed this...because it was SO FUCKING FAST.

Jason Smyth, most likely the fastest paralympian at the games. I knew he was a contender before the games, but I had no idea how good he was. So fast, he only missed out on the real olympics by 4 hundredths of a second, the same margin he's short of the 100m Irish record. Also trains with Tyson Gay!

How come his PB doesn't count as the disabled class world record (his fastest time is 10.22 but the world record he set the other day was 10.46)? Is it considered an unfair advantage to race with non-blind athletes?

Apparently it was run at an event that wasn't overseen by the paralympic people or whoever it is that does these things. I guess he would have done it an able-bodied race, he ran at the european championships for instance.

The bit of Paralympic athletics I caught on the telly was completely fascinating, much more interesting than the run of the mill Olympic heats.

I definitely think some sports, the athletics and the swimming in particular, gain something in the Paralympics. The variety of different biomechanics is so interesting to watch. People can do amazing stuff.

One of the plusses of C4 has been their Last Leg show. You can laugh without feeling guilty.

The British goalkeeper trying to psych out a penalty taker in the blind football by making himself look as big as possible in the goal will go down as a highlight.

Just got back, incredible evening in the stadium! Bought these tickets a few months ago as a consolation, might as well see what we've paid for day out, never believed it would be a evening of so much drama and passion and sheer athletic brilliance, inspiring stuff. They even switched on the funky seat lights when the sun went down :)

Also I was pretty cynical about the Orbit - too unoriginal, too small, too compromised - but having been up to the top - and around, and seen it lit up:

2rpwbo7.jpg

-it's totally won me over.

(don't know how viable it'll be at that location post 2012 mind, and given we have a few viewing attractions in central already I can see it being sold to another city).

Whoa, that Ukrainian swimmer just breaking the world record, and she doesn't even use her arms!

These athletes are simply awe-inspiring.

comments like that are odd I find. Her classification is based on her level of disability. Its a world record for people as disabled as she is.

David Weir has to be another addition to the long list of candidates for sports personality of the year. With three golds and a bucketful of inspiration, I can see him taking it.

That is going to be ridiculous this year. They need to do some mass award for the Olympians or Paralympians or something. Team GB as the winner, and not just of the team award.

Or as someone on Twitter suggested last night, have 2,012 awards!