Mark of the Ninja - 360 & PC - 2D stealth - Metacritic 90 - Buy this game!

Love this, about 5 hours in. It's so good observing an area, planning your actions and then jumping, falling, smashing lights, hiding, climbing, grappling, setting off smoke bombs, luring a target into a spiked mine and freaking out their mates, taking guards down from above, below and creeping up on them, or send something crashing down on them... All without anyone seeing you coming or going. Animation, sound and control are all joys. What Batman AA was for 3D stealth and combat.

Feel like proper badmans.

Bought this based on a friends recommendation and its bloody amazing, great to see a positive response here too. Spent the entire evening thinking i'd finished it and it keeps throwing more at me, what I presume is the last section will have to wait til tomorrow.

Every part of the game hangs together so well, and not once have I felt cheated or frustrated, easily one of my favourite XBLA titles!

One thing not many have mentioned yet is the games generosity. Its not easy, but the restart points are well placed and you get no punishment at all for restarting at the last checkpoint.

It works out brilliantly.

As darksteve says, the compulsion to complete all the objectives and check out every dark corner is fierce, so allowing the player to try again as much as they like (along with the level select and mid-level talent reset points) really takes any frustration out of it -but the mechanics and complexity manage to prevent it becoming boring or too easy.

Not finished it yet but certainly one of the best arcade titles I have ever played. I spent the summer looking forward to Counterstrike Go on the 360, which on my connection is an absolutely unplayable farcical laggy mess, but it turns out I should have been looking forward to this!

Mark of the Ninja now and Borderlands 2 on Friday. Its fair to assume I wont be getting much done this weekend.

• Upvote 2

One thing not many have mentioned yet is the games generosity. Its not easy, but the restart points are well placed and you get no punishment at all for restarting at the last checkpoint.

It works out brilliantly.

As darksteve says, the compulsion to complete all the objectives and check out every dark corner is fierce, so allowing the player to try again as much as they like (along with the level select and mid-level talent reset points) really takes any frustration out of it -but the mechanics and complexity manage to prevent it becoming boring or too easy.

I was going to mention this but couldn't find the words, spot on :)

This just gets better and better, and the replay value is off the bloody scale. New move-item-upgrade? Suddenly an earlier level is calling out to be played in a different- or additional- way for even more lovely points.

My current favourite way to play?

Spoiler!

Friendly fire! And the ways you can do it.. a terror dart when standing behind another NPC so he opens fire and kills his pal ..and the gunfire attracts more guards!

But the best way to do this IMO is using the Way of Nightmares. You cant equip any distraction items.. but stealth killed corpses terrify other guards.

I kill one, hang him to a lamppost then put out the light when a guard close enough and another guard is nearby (or shoot the hook to drop the body on a passing comrade .. or pick up a corpse and sneak behind a guard then throw it into his line of sight or.. ) One guard checks out the source of the smash and shits himself, shoots the other and the shooting attracts more if they are close. Only stealth killed corpses work so you have to clear the friendly fire corpses if you dont want to lose the alarm bonus.. that adds to the fun.

Then you are free to tag the terrified one from time to time to tempt him to follow you - crying and screaming- through the level, jumping at shadows and shooting his friends.

Loving it. Right now, I think killing is slightly better scoring than complete avoidance but I still have a few goodies to unlock.. back to it!

• Upvote 2

Level 3-2

Man, that was tense. Those motherfucking stalkers, I'd managed to get nearly to the end of the stage when one suddenly leapt up to my level and I pegged it, turned out I was right by the end. Please tell me you can replay that level with your sword as each and evey one of those Sam Fisher wannabe twats will be getting a metre of cold steel shoved up their rectum.

• Upvote 1

You can use your sword but I've yet to kill one with it because you're seen instantly (even if you're hiding in shadows close by) and they have very powerful guns that, in NG+, kill you instantly. I like to kill them in other more inventive ways that don't require me to get too close.

Karzee, I came within two kills of beating your score for the first level. Looks like I missed out on killing two guards somewhere and I should have used my items to bump my score up. We're both in the top 100 though. I'm only above you on 'A Sword At His Neck', damn you!

Oooh a challenger, excellent. Well there's plenty of room for improvement for both of us on that level because when you check the world leader-boards I've got something like 44k and the No.1 guy's got over 50k. Last I looked I had dropped to something like 47th so I've still to figure out where the top 46 people are getting the extra points from.

I've only used the standard Ninja so maybe one of the other styles would be better, and I haven't been purposely bumping my score with distraction items but I do use all the items trying to get guards into positions I want. I do however try to terrify as many guards as possible.

Oh man this is good. That's all.

I can't decide whether to wait for the pc or get the xbox version.

Well, I don't think the difference between the two versions will be as big as with something like Borderlands 2, so why not go for it now? :)

Quick question guys - should I unlock NG+ before going for the high scores or is the scoring system the same?

Thanks.

There are two leaderboards, one for NG+ and one for standard so focus on either. I've only done a few levels on NG+ as I've been focussing on the the scoring for standard difficulty.

I'm finding the closing levels a little bit of a slog. I think it might be the same reason I didn't like Hitman: Blood Money the first time I played it, though - I'm being too meticulous in pursuit of 9/9 for each level and reloading when I don't need to. Much like Hitman I will try once more with the rule that what happens happens and I can't reload. My favourite times on Hitman were when things went wrong and I had to improvise! (Pretty much every level, I'm a terrible Hitman).

I'm in 9th place on the leaderboards on Trail Of Shadow now, because I missed an artifact and went back to complete the level only to be sidetracked into but obsessively trying to max out my points out while I was there.

Add me if you want, Gamertag is Dark Masu.

Edited as I decided to post on my phone post while I was being dragged round Morrisons by the missus. :coffee:

Unfortunately, getting so high on the leaderboards might reflect how few sales this has got. Does NG+ change the scoring at all? Would adding a timed element to score runs ruin it? It'd ruin it for me at least. I take far too long to work out what to do sometimes.

So far my most Ninja moment was standing right in front of a guard as he looked the other way and jumping over his head as he turned back before Le Murder.

I finally managed to finish this last night but I'm still having to fight through occasional crashes. From their forum it seems like I'm not the only one.

Not had any crashes yet but I have seen a variety of bugs (the cramped grate, hinky AI on the fella you follow & even an insta-fail restart point) which have culminated in me booting up to continue my NG+ only to find myself back at the last level of normal mode :facepalm: It doesn't seem quite sure which title screen to show either :D Bit of a scuff on an otherwise excellent game, I hope they patch the kinks out of it.

I just discovered yesterday that the wingsuit will let you murder your enemies from the sky. :eyebrows:

Also, the path of nightmares is the way to play this game. It's so fun dropping in corpses from above and just watching them go mental. Couple that with the upgraded Hisomu terror dart and you're onto a winner.

Unfortunately, getting so high on the leaderboards might reflect how few sales this has got. Does NG+ change the scoring at all? Would adding a timed element to score runs ruin it? It'd ruin it for me at least. I take far too long to work out what to do sometimes.

Im thinking that too, its only had 400 odd people rating it - I know many people don't bother with rating but..

I really hope this does well, its so finely crafted it deserves to.

NG+ has its own leaderboards.

Heading back in- 16th last night on Level 1 and I still havent completed the first run through..!