FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

Quite like it - but it's a bit too brutal for my tastes. So easy to get into "no win" situations.

I do like the fact that each ship config has a different gameplay style.

I'm not the only one who called my 3 people Kirk, Spock and McCoy right?

I have played far too much of this but I beat it for the first time about an hour ago. Used the Engi Cruiser, on easy - I just managed to beat the flagship with a few bars of hull to spare. I was surprised I managed it because I'd lost my elite gold-experience boarding party Mantis crewmen a few sectors earlier, when I stupidly forgot to turn off my beam weapons while they were on board an enemy ship - blew it up with them on board! Idiot. Almost as good as the time I beamed a boarding party onto an automated scout with no oxygen system.

I love this so much. The various ships are all nicely differentiated. I've unlocked the Engi Cruiser (both layouts), Stealth Cruiser, and Federation Cruiser now, in addition to the standard starting ship. They all seem pretty distinct. This game is ripe for user content, though - being able to design your own ships would be the ideal.

It's great. A simple idea executed perfectly. I love games like this where the designer has focused so closely on one or two gameplay elements. It would have been tempting to make a much 'bigger' game, but I don't think it would have worked as well. It reminds me of Atom Zombie Smasher in that regard.

Good music too.

I've got the varient of the standard ship - starts off with 4*1 Damage lasers (1 energy, 1 shot). If you get lucky and get the "Weapons Ready after FTL" Aug, you can massacre pretty much anything in the first 3 sectors.

I eventually swapped out 1 of the lasters for a 3 shot, double damage. It's brutal :)

Haven't really used cloak/beaming. My boarding parties when I did try it (Mantis) always seemed to die before I could beam them back :( (You can only beam back 1 room at atime right?)

Just got this as well and I'm really enjoying it although I've not finished a run yet. I just got to sector 5 and thought I was doing pretty good but then got hammered by the ships there.

I didnt seem at any point to have enough scrap to buy the cloak or drone modules, I'm guessing I spent too much upgrading the core systems. In sector 5 it seemed like I REALLY should have had the drone system.

Tip: Try to visit as many unexplored beacons as possible and never go to the next sector until you have to.

That doesn't work. The rebels are usually pretty close behind so there's very little time to actually explore, you tend to get a good few jump arounds then need to make your way straight to the exit. A lot of it counts on luck especially when it comes to fuel and repairs. I was flying around with over 200 scrap, 7 crew and a couple of bots yet I didn't see a single repair station or fuel on offer for 2.5 sectors. Crazy.

I wish there was a way to bank some of the stuff you find for future runs as well. Makes the early sectors a bit repetitive having to completely restart.