FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

You don't even need the better doors, just vent all rooms except the medbay, stick your crew in there (and a neighbouring room if necessary) and let the boarders come at you, bro. Had a very successful run with the Fed Cruiser, got a pre-igniter and shield charge booster, and for some reason also had loads of scrap so could max everything out. 3-shot laser, 3-shot hull laser and a halberd beam took the rebel flagship apart in no time.

One of these days I'll have to try it on 'normal' :unsure:

What happens if they then take out the o2?

I just beat it, after my 3rd run through today. It was easy in the end: Ion Bomb the shields, then hammer with with my crappy lasers. Defensive droids, cloaks and lvl 3 shields soaked up the rest.

Managed to unlock a new layout too (for dodging 9 damage in one go and for getting to sector 8 without encountering a natural hazard).

What happens if they then take out the o2?

If a room is closed when you're venting, it'll still have O2 left but it'll run down. Then it comes down to the rate of healing vs the loss of health from lack of oxygen.

As well as that, it also means you're pulling people away from their stations, which is ok if you have boarders alone as an isolated event, but no good if you are engaged against a ship simultaneously. Medbays can only hold so many guys anyway.

I much prefer to leave them at their posts and vent around them, and if they need help in their room I usually have a couple of spare crew for security early on.

I've beat the game a few times on easy and got to the boss on normal quite often, but that can be such a harsh fight depending on how that last sector is laid out.

I've started avoiding the random encounters now, the ones where you get a choice, it's such a pisser when you lose a fully trained crew member. I do like the implementation of the 'blue' options though, for when you meet certain criteria; for a long time I didn't use the teleport or beam weapons, so it was pretty cool to see what they open up.

Teleport is damn near essential for one of the ship unlocks too, I think.

But yeah, I normally go all in with those events, but started holding off recently where the main objective of my run was merely to unlock ships/layouts.

A couple of those are crew dependent, I'm not risking that to fucking space spiders!

Some of them where you can either risk the ship or the crew are easier though. Ship every time. Even if luck is against you, the meagre scrap you do get tends to be enough to offset any damage taken, assuming you can make a pitstop.

Alright. It's the penultimate sector and I just bought a weapon pre-igniter.

I'm chilling in the Zoltan Cruiser, equipped with four levels of shielding plus the special Zoltan touch, a fully-upgraded cloaking device, some loyalist settlement gave me a Glaive Beam, I have six crew members including two just to kill boarders, 48% evasion and a choice of HULL SMASHER MKII or Ion Blast Mk II as my secondary weapon depending on the circumstances.

This should be easy. I will probably die.

Took out the first stage of the mothership without even losing shields; hit with a one-two of the laser to get its shields down a bit, then the glaive to carve up its shield system (semi-)permanently. Did that a few times, fired up a defence drone to stem most of the missiles, bob's your uncle.

Attempted to continue this strategy (specifically focusing on negating its shields rather than its drone control) in the second stage. Got bumrushed by drones. Panicked. Didn't change strategy. Got bumrushed again having done practically superficial damage to the mothership, dropped to low health, then attempted to avoid death by quitting the game like a bitch even though I know FTL has a particularly nasty surprise for you if you do that.

Namely, I started it back up, the continue button was greyed out, but I prodded my laptop trackpad hard enough pressing it that I made my laptop short-circuit itself, restart and lose two hours progress of transcoding an MKV.

I think I lost that game as thoroughly as it's possible to do.

"Popped" this on for another quick go while I downloaded Episode 4 of Walking Dead...Big mistake.. Fast forward 2 hours and I end up getting my arse handed too me by a rogue pirate ship in sector 6... Got far too cocky, my Mantis boarding party failed miserably, and they got a few lucky hit on my shield generator which took out key crew members and finished me off!

Still atleast I unlocked the stealth ship during this run so not all bad!

The game can be evil sometimes, cant it? This was in sector two. On easy.

pq1Jv.jpg

The ship is the Engi B. I dont know whether I just had Emile Heskey on guns or not, but I must have had a 50-60% miss rate with my weapons, it was awful because I would take so much damage in every fight due to my lack of accurate firepower that I would need to spend all my scrap in shops on repairs. This nebula then wiped out my power supply and the ship I was facing had huge shields, a beam weapon and some kind of three shot burst laser. Needless to say, it fucked me up good. Sector two on easy.

Aye. It was the first (and will probably be the last) time I used it. I still dont have a favourite ship yet, I havent unlocked that many (default, Engi A & B, Zoltan A & B and Rock) and I still havent beaten the game yet after 18 hours of trying. I'm not really focussing on trying to "win" that much though, every time I play through I will try a wildly different strategy rather than attempting to refine one which I think will work. I am having quite a lot fun playing like that so I will continue to do it. I might focus on trying to unlock a new ship next time I play though, what does the forum recommend?

I got the furthest with Engi B.

Had the gun which knocks out system autofiring on shield. Gun drone attacking the ship and a beam laser taking out the weapons or engine.

It got me through sector 2 and 3 with barely a scratch!

Was pummelled to death in sector 4 though.

Might be Engi A though, doh....

That's the Engi A.

Engi B starts with two sub-par weapons (the Heavy Ion is particularly bad, hugely inferior to the Ion Blast Mk. 2 that the Engi A starts with) and only one crew member, with two on-board drones (system repair and anti-personnel) supposedly making up for it. It also starts with no sensors. It's a really awful set-up; the Engi A on the other hand is bloody great.

Engi A is as far as I've unlocked, so far.

I have a question though, my current ship has the following offensive capabilities:

- Ion Blast MkII

- Pike Beam

- Anti ship drone

Now, I'm trying to time my use of the Pike Beam for when my opponents' shields are down, but their shields always seem to IMMEDIATELY recover. What gives? What should I try to do?

How come when I disable their weapons with my Ion Blast it seems to do fuck all, whereas if it's done to me I can't fire for like 8 seconds? :( It all seems a bit unfair at times.

There is no weighting of weapon capabilities - if you and the enemy are using the same weapons, they'll have exactly the same effects on both your ship and theirs.

The best explanation for what's happening there is that you're not in fact knocking out the enemy's weapons. Ion weapons will do ion damage (temporary shut-down damage) to systems that they hit, but they cannot penetrate shields, so if shields are up, the ion weapons will instead damage the shields temporarily, much like laser weaponry that hits active shields. The weapon set-up you have there gives you the capability to take out 2 blips of shield strength, but not to actually damage systems or hull unless you use the pike beam the very instant the shields are knocked out (so that you get the damage in before the shields recharge). You really need at least one other weapon (with shield pierce, so not a pike beam - halberd beam would work, though) or a second anti-ship drone to do damage reliably, particularly as you start running up against ships with upgraded engines and a decent amount of evasion (so you're not even reliably doing those 2 blips of shield damage).

The other thing to note about targeting weapon systems with ion weaponry is that almost all enemy ships have at least two weapons. If you land one ion blast hit on the weapon system, it will probably knock out enough of the systems that they have to shut down one of their multiple weapons temporarily - you'd need to land multiple consecutive hits to shut down all their armament. The Engi A, by contrast, starts without much in the way of an upgraded weapon system, so even a single hit (ion or otherwise) is enough to render your weapons inoperable.

Engi A is a great ship, though. And the Ion Blast Mk 2 is probably one of the best weapons in the game right through the final sector - you just have to get additional offensive capability too.