FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

Aye right after posting that I kinda worked it out - I started actually paying attention to the info on screen and could see what was happening! :facepalm:

I managed to get to sector 8, but basically was way underpowered, and had been running away from things since sector 5, ha. At least I know what happens once you get to the final sector now!

It's a bit tricky managing to secure extra weapons though, I find. Balancing between ship upgrades and new equipment is trough too. Obviously part of the game, but nnnghh I hate when you get to a shop and it has junk!

Finally finished it on easy, was a pretty lucky run as I found a mk2 burst laser floating in space, then i bought another mk2 burst and then I found a mk1 burst. Dropped the missiles as they were pretty redundant when I was throwing out 11 simultaneous shots every 12 seconds. I've got to the end enough times to know the boss ships strategy so I wrecked his systems before he went crazy with them.

Even with a drone compliment like the engi, it pays off to boost weps enough that you can support a wide variety of weapon types. That way you have a few ways of dealing with different situations.

I find an ion weapon, mid range laser and beam works well. That way you can use the laser to initially knock a few points off the shields or drop them entirely, then keep them suppressed with the ion while the beam does general damage and the laser picks out priority targets. Tbh the drones can quickly become simply an extra ace in the hole for when you need a quick decisive win.

Definitely worth having a burst laser mk2 though.....reasonable power requirements, may not do so much hull damage but really you want the multiple shots to bring shields down. And unlike the mk3, with a good gunner it can fire every few seconds.

So yeah, you can go one of two ways....weak rapid fire to slowly whittle down their systems and win through attrition. Great so long as you knock out their weapons quickly. Alternately a couple of powerful slow weapons.....good if you have a cloak or pre-igniter to allow you an alpha strike with all weps simultaneously, problem is that otherwise you have a long wait. Not good if they're ftl'ing or are wielding lots of missiles. Generally less flexible all round.

Get to the final boss. All the crew are levelled up nicely. Have a ion laser thingy which fires every 0.5 seconds to knock shields out. Then two beefy lasers for damage. Two offensive drones for quite a lot of damage output.

Evasion was quite high, cloak was on maximum and i'd managed to get four shields.

By the time i'd gotten to the final boss I'd managed to do it without losing a single crew member, which I was chuffed with. Lost a couple in the final fight though...

I managed to fatally [sic] damage the ship with a tiny bit of hull life left. In a mad panic I thought that was that. Jumped to where the ship was, the destination was marked 'repair', figured you just had to leave the sector to complete the game.

.....Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

ftlnoooooooooo_zps3477654f.jpg

Currently about to jump to sector 5.. things going well for once! I've even picked up a Mantis from somewhere (I keep accidentally hitting 1 to those 'we surrender' messages while trying to get my ion cannon ready!!)

I really like that you can have repair drones activate an just leave them on the ship without power, and turn them on as needed.

2013010300002.jpg

Aye, I always kill unless I need the fuel.

That anti-ship mk2 should be handy btw dood, but your primary armaments are a bit missile dependent.

Remember both drones and missiles are a finite resource, and against awkward targets where shots fail to connect they can run out quicker than you'd think.

I had an epic 3 hour game last night including unlocking the rock ship. I thought I was a shoe in to win the game but made a couple of mistakes which cost me. The first was experimenting with the teleporter. It was the first time that I had bought the teleporter and had 6 crew, 2 of which were butch 150 health dudes. I had read here that 2 dudes were usually enough to take a ship so I sent them in. I lost both in the fight.

I also managed to end up with 3, 3 energy using weapons. I didn't realise that the maximum slots was 8. Hence I couldnt use all 3 at once. I think this made all the difference in the bose battle as I made bad judgements about which weapon to use. Had I had all 3 weapons available, I would have won easily.

Yeah I'm hoping to find a good laser weapon tbh :( none of the shops have had one yet ffs! Random bastards.

Edit - GAH drone recovery arm in the shop. Not enough cash :(

My tactic last night was to hold on to as much cash as possible for the stores. The level of the enemy ships are fairly predictable so you can hold off upgrading until necessary. This approach allowed me to get all of the ship upgrades and engi and Mantis crew by about sector 6.

Depends what the combo is. With ships that support 4 primaries, I do sometimes have a couple of reserve weapons I can switch between if I need something for a certain job.Key example being spamming lasers/ion/misiles til shields are down, then switching to beams or heavy lasers.

Also, I'm fairly sure the level of enemy is loosely tied to your own upgrades, so if you're desperate for something in particular it may well be worth saving.

I've had a couple of victories on easy. Engi ship with three attack drones and support beams. Fed cruiser with two breach missiles, weapon preigniter, and a couple of lasers.

But it's high shields, dodge and preignite that seem to make the difference with my current tactics.

I have reached the end boss ship a few times now, but I always get annihilated in the second fight with it (where one of its wings is destroyed). Too many attack drones beat the shit out of me, while I can't get through its 4 shields fast enough to achieve any damage. Perhaps I need a strategy where I can beam an attack team to their drone control room? Or maybe ion weapons... do they go through shields to knock systems out? I don't know.

Playing on easy. Not unlocked any other ship except the Engi.

I have reached the end boss ship a few times now, but I always get annihilated in the second fight with it (where one of its wings is destroyed). Too many attack drones beat the shit out of me, while I can't get through its 4 shields fast enough to achieve any damage. Perhaps I need a strategy where I can beam an attack team to their drone control room? Or maybe ion weapons... do they go through shields to knock systems out? I don't know.

Playing on easy. Not unlocked any other ship except the Engi.

An away team makes it much easier. My general tactic on the first boss stage is to send an away team to the rocket room first to kill the dude and destroy the weapon, do the same for the ion room and finally the laser weapon room (leave the guy alive in the beam weapon room). If you have 4 shields and cloak you shouldn't take much damage if any (save your first cloak for the first shot of the rocket weapon). Once the rocket and ion weapons are down you shouldn't really be taking any damage.

Then it's a matter of killing all of the crew on this stage (except the guy in the beam weapon room). It's not easy as you need to disable their sickbay so they cannot heal. When you have killed all of their crew except the beam guy finish off the first stage and then when the next stage begins all of the crew remain dead except the dude we left alive (you need to leave one alive or else the ship starts to auto-repair I believe). For the second stage I prioritise the rocket and ion rooms again and then send the away team to the drone control on the enemy ship asap to knock out those bloody drone. Then all you need to worry about is when you see the warning about a power surge but your cloak can deal with most of these.

Whatever happens, you've got to leave at least one crew member of the rebel flagship alive, otherwise the game sticks a middle finger up at you and lets it jump away intact. My other findings:

Trying to away team into their drone control room didn't help much- I had 2 well-trained mantis slugging away at it as soon as I met the ship and they didn't do anything to prevent the power surge wave. However, getting away teams into their weapons rooms is great- port them in, kill the crew member and destroy the weapon, port out again, rinse and repeat. Once you've taken the weapons, there's nothing they can do to you (on the first stage) as they can't get in to repair them- so you can use that time to experiment with what combinations of weapons works well to get through the shields!

It is much easier to deal with the mass drones if you have a cloak, but I've definitely done it without (on easy! :D).