FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

As an addendum to Tunisia's advice:

Teleport in and destroy all the weapons except for the burst laser (and leave that crewman alive too). The laser isn't enough to get through your shields by itself even if you've only got shield strength 3, and so you can safely leave it up and running, while that particular irrelevant crewman means you can kill everyone else on the ship (in the main area) without triggering the ship's AI takeover.

Whatever happens, you've got to leave at least one crew member of the rebel flagship alive, otherwise the game sticks a middle finger up at you and lets it jump away intact. My other findings:

Trying to away team into their drone control room didn't help much- I had 2 well-trained mantis slugging away at it as soon as I met the ship and they didn't do anything to prevent the power surge wave. However, getting away teams into their weapons rooms is great- port them in, kill the crew member and destroy the weapon, port out again, rinse and repeat. Once you've taken the weapons, there's nothing they can do to you (on the first stage) as they can't get in to repair them- so you can use that time to experiment with what combinations of weapons works well to get through the shields!

It is much easier to deal with the mass drones if you have a cloak, but I've definitely done it without (on easy! :D).

You can't prevent the power surge as far as I know but it definitely helps knocking out the general drones that float around as often that seems to push the power surge over the edge for managability (I'm assuming it also stops the invading drones). The power surge also seems to get shorter but I'm not sure if that is an effect of taking out the drone control or if it generally happens over time.

Just beat the flagship. Get THAT up ye, you rebel fucks.

I found that a combination of a SHITLOAD of laser weapons (I won with two Burst Laser Mk1s and a Heavy Laser Mk2) manually controlled so that they all fire simultaneously - this will usually overwhelm all shields and do damage to the system you're concentrating fire on - and a cloaking system to avoid the special attacks meant that I took virtually no damage.

Snap, tried the Engi B out, first jumped straight into a solar flare. Deal with that, just. Second jump I investigate a group of horselike animals. Try to bring one on board to sell, they turn crazy and trample a crew member. The only crew member... :doh:

Untitled1-4_zps7a3d25bc.jpg

After 40 hours the only ships I've unlocked are Engi A&B, am I doing it wrong?

Some of it is luck, some of it is down to what load out you're equipped with, some events / unlocks require certain criteria to be in place. Here's a guide.

Just had a ridiculously lucky run, ended up with 3x Burst Laser II and a decent beam, crew fully maxed out, easiest run yet.

post-6745-0-19560400-1357416987_thumb.jp

I passed through one of them dense astroid fields and found I could soak up enough punishment with my shields + dodge to basically just sit there whilst maxing my engine and shield guys out.

We've not had scores yet, so I shall get the ball rolling:

post-6745-0-56559500-1357417208_thumb.jp

Going to need to man up and try finish it on normal at some point...

(43 hours played)

post-6745-0-19560400-1357416987_thumb.jp

post-6745-0-56559500-1357417208_thumb.jp

Definitely makes a difference.

Shields:

Manned: 10% faster recharge

Level 1: 20%

Level 2: 29%

Engines:

Manned: +5% Evasion

Level 1: +7%

Level 2: +10%

Weapons:

Manned: 10% faster reload

Level 1: 14%

Level 2: 19%

Piloting:

Manned: +5% Evasion

Level 1: +7%

Level 2: +10%

So you get 20% evasion just by having your captain and engine dude maxed out.

I completed this the other day with the Engi ship on Normal (satisfying run, I had 2 anti-ship drones, an Ion Blaster, a Burst Laser 2, and a Hull Beam - I was wrecking everything).

I'm now trying out the Federation ship I've unlocked, and I can't get anywhere with it. I think the furthest I've managed is the 3rd sector.

I just had a go, and on my first jump I went straight into a Nebula - not a problem. As soon as I arrived I noticed there was a plasma storm, fuck. I also got attacked straight away by an automated drone (who annoyingly is completely unaffected by the plasma storm). I quickly rebalance the power so that I have a weapon active (take power away from the artillery laser and O2 room and put it into the Burst Laser).

First round of attacks, my weapons are taken out and my weapon room catches fire. No biggy, as I have the rockman in there. He sets out to put out the fires and I send over the engi crewman from the engine room to help him repair.

Second round out attacks come in and take out my shields, and set the shield room on fire. I divert the engi there, and the human and engi start putting out the fires and repairing. I take the mantis dude off the helm and send him to help the rockman in the weapons room.

The next volley comes in and the O2 systems are taken out and a fire starts in the door control room, quickly taking out the door controls. By this point my O2 reserves are down to 30%, and my hull reports a 50% warning. I have no weapons, no shield and the FTL has not charged.

I divert the human and engi from the shield room to the O2 room (which is turns out is also on fire - at some point, the ships internal sensors also went out). They start repairing but I have to take them out of there pretty quickly as there is no O2 in there and the fires have damages them too much. I return power to the med bay and send them there to recover for a second or two.

By this point the weapons are back up, I set my sights on the enemy ships weapons and send my mantis to the shield room to work on bringing up the shields. The crew in the med bay have healed enough so I return them to the O2 room (20% left!). More volleys arrive in the meantime, the med bay is hit (probably on fire), and the bridge takes a hit too.

The only consolation to all this is that hopefully the crew all died instantly when the ship exploded as the hull gave way, instead of asphyxiating or burning to death. It was a short run for The Osprey, and I'm not really sure where it all went so wrong.

:(

Ha! Good story. I had a great run the other day with Engi A, picked up a Heavy Laser Mk 2 in the first sector (thanks to a random event, the one where some people just give you a cool weapon for no good reason) so proceeded to ruin everything until I went up against a Zoltan bomber in sector 6. For some reason, my combination of attack drone / ion gun / heavy laser couldnt drop his shields. I had about 5 blocks of hull left thanks to a hairy battle near a solar flare (fucksakes). The zoltan launched a double missle. We died. :( AND I WAS FEELIN INVINCIBLE. :( :(

Oh fuck. I am rubbish at this. I just had a run that started well, picked up a teleporter right at the start and managed to get a second mantis crewmember straight after that. All good so far.

I try out my teleporter in the next fight, I power down the artillery laser (don't want that damaging the ship or my guys while they are over there) and power up the teleporter.

I set me weapons to attack the enemy ships weapons room, and send my two mantis guys to the teleporter. I send them into the shield room of the enemy ship, and they quickly mince the first guy to respond to them.

Then the enemy ship blows up taking both my crew members with it, because I FORGOT TO TURN OFF AUTOFIRE FFSIMSUCHAMONG!!!"

I died on the final section off the end boss. I was annoying because I was doing well but misjumped and had to fight 3 rebel ships before I found it again and by then I was on5 hull and got fucked.

(BTW: Star Wars as taught me that rebels = Good. I bet we're the Evil Empire.)

Any more tips guys.

Been playing for about 3 hours but if anyone gets on my ship I always instantly die.

How do I make my crewmen be able to kill anything, it's just instant death if I get boarded.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious cant work it out though.

Thanks

J

1. Upgrade doors asap

2. When boarded, pause

3. Try to airlock suffocate the boarders (may not work dependant on type of intruders)

4. Go Engi A ship for the nano medbots

5. Select a bunch of crew and right click intruders to fight

6. Send crew to med bay when health drops below 33%

7. Get Mantis crew for 2x dmg

8. Keep attacking enemy vessel; if you do enough damage they'll call boarders back to repair.

9. Use firebombs on your own ship if you have them

10. Ensure to keep pilot / shield stations manned

11. Don't forget to keep fighting the enemy ship too :)

Are you using the Engy ship? They are crap at brawling, otherwise I normally just try match the number of invaders with defenders and keep running them back to the medical bay as required. Pausing the game frequently is the biggest tip you can give in FTL I would say. The first door upgrade is also pretty cheap and doesn't require any extra power to run, it's particularly nice when they teleport right by an airlock and you can hold them there for a while, slowing depleting their health.