FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

I was playing the other day and came up against a tougher than expected enemy in an asteroid field. I took him out but sustained moderate damage to various systems, including my shields. At this point I had a simple choice - I could either jump out immediately and risk running into another ship in my damaged state, or repair my ship whilst getting hit by asteroids. I chose the latter. My crew of three were already halfway through repairing the cockpit, O2 and weapons, so I made a judgement call to allow them to finish before I sent them to repair the shields. They all finished about the same time and I sent all three, by this time all low on health, to repair the shields.

Just as they finished an asteroid hit the shield room and killed them all, game over.

Man, I'm having my best run ever. I'm about to head into the final sector and am fully expecting my shit to get ruined.

FINGERS CROSSED. Though real life interferes right now so I won't die horribly til much later

2013011000004.jpg

I had an amazing run in the Mantis Cruiser earlier, but just at the end of Sector 6 disaster struck and my elite boarding party were lost in a freak piece of incompetent micro management. So I was left facing sector 7 with weapons so wimpy they couldn't hurt a Barbie doll and a total lack of combat trained people. Suffice it to say it didn't go well :)

Almost had a proper FFFFFFFUUUUUUUU moment!

I got the damaged stasis pod. I then met the Zoltan survey crew who could open the pod. Then I found the Rock Homeworlds and I thought this is going to be easy, the Crystal Ship will finally be mine. Of course the marker to get the Crystal Ship after requiring three random events to happen just to be in a position to do the quest is unmarked, and en route I landed here.

sGnni.jpg

Fucking solar flare took me out as nastily as it possibly could. Enemy missile breached the hull in a couple of places and the flare started fires in pretty much every key room on the ship. It killed everybody in my crew except for the Crystal guy and I managed to escape with about two bars of hull left. Thankfully I could jump into a store from here and get patched up but then I had to fly solo for several jumps before finding the wormhole to the Crystal Homeworlds. Got there and I unlocked the ship! :D

It's the first time I have been to the Crystal Homeworlds and it seemed to me that it is much more generous with giving out loot than anywhere else. If I still had a full crew coming in to it then I would have probably came out resembling the Death Star. As it was I got beaten down by a rebel fighter somewhere, but at least I have unlocked the Crystal Ship at long long last!

Bah well my really good run ended valiantly, but in death. I got totally owned by the flagship's second phase, jumped away and then got smashed by a single rocket from a rebel fighter. Sigh.

Next go is looking promising though, my crew is looking strong again, my boarding party are hard-as. I've not really used boarding parties before now, but killing the crew of a ship seems to increase the chances of loot dropping :D

I don't want a literal answer to this, but I assume I shouldn't go for the drone control on the second stage of the flagship fight. Hmm.

Just got my first win! I wasn't sure how I'd get on, but the combination of an Ion blaster, Ion blaster II and Anti-Ship II drone knocked its shields down in no time, then I just used my hull beam to carve it up (kudos to my boarding party too). Very satisfying to finally take the big bastard down!

ha me too! Down you go, rebel scum. I didn't even do anything particularly special, just used maximum dodge / cloak potential during power surges. HULL DAMAGE WINS. Got to the last sector without losing a crewmember too! :D

What a fantastic 20 odd hours for 3.79 or whatever it was. And I'm not done yet, I'll be back once I clear some more of the pile of shame. Top game.

This could all go horribly wrong still, but I just gave phase one of the flagship an almighty kicking:

nyX3B.jpg

Tried to pause it just as my last shot hit. If you look closely you can see it hurtling towards the poor guy in the shield room.

bWHjj.jpg

No drones but a boatload of cash and three augmentations I got for fuck all. I have a full reactor so I am deciding what to spend the money on now I am in the endgame. I need missiles I think but there is no store nearby. I'll upgrade cloaking and doors probably.

U7arn.jpg

And Kazaaak (who I presume is a World of Warcraft reference) has joined my crew. Of course this means I also unlocked the Mantis ship on this run. :D

I've died in phase 2 quite a few times so I'm not sure how this will go yet, but hopefully I'll finish it. Sadly I wont have time now because I have to step away from the PC for a couple of hours.

Unlocked the Noether (Adjudicator Type B) last time I played and just had a quick look at it. It certainly seems interesting. Comes with a Zoltan shield, which is pretty handy at the start of fights, but lacks an actual shield with the upgrade to get the shield being 100 scrap - so dodge would seem to be the way to go.

It also comes with twin ion cannons and a pike beam, so when the crew member on weapons has upgraded a bit you could probably keep an enemy's weapons and shields constantly on recharge, and use the pike beam to cause the damage.

Didn't have time for a proper run with it tonight, but will be trying it next time I have a run. I expect to die horribly due to lack of shields though.

Had a quick run with the Mantis ship last night, it takes a lot longer to get through sectors because every fight involves boarding (the starting weapons are awful) but it is a lot of fun. I want to unlock one of the ships which can send four boarders over, that would be great fun. :D

I don't think a teleporter is necessary at all to a good run - I've never used it, really. Instead if I want to do nonlethal hits, I either use three ion weapons or one fast-firing ion weapon and one normal weapon to knock out shields + O2.

Cloaking is a must, though, although I only really use it for the flagship - only because I forget in normal fights.

You can take out the flag ships big guns in seconds with a teleporter. Mind you, I've never really played with ion weapons too much and I guess they could have the same effect.

On my Mantis Run I have found myself with a couple of fire beams (got given one, purchased the other) and while it isnt the fastest way to take the bad guys out, check this:

aET0i.jpg

lyYaj.jpg

I got the "slice and dice" achievement with the first shot. Even Fireman Sam and Elvis aint putting that shit out. :eyebrows: