FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

I discovered, disastrously, that this works on my Mac. Cue a few hours wasted today...

I survived pretty well on my first run, up to stage 6. On my second run I chose the Endi ship, unlocked after that first attempt. Foolishly I decided my second system to visit would be a mantis infested one. I didn't think they'd start beaming over that early!

I also bought my first ever transporter and beamed a couple mantis of crew over during that first run. Can anyone (everyone) guess the obvious mistake I made...

I discovered, disastrously, that this works on my Mac. Cue a few hours wasted today...

I survived pretty well on my first run, up to stage 6. On my second run I chose the Endi ship, unlocked after that first attempt. Foolishly I decided my second system to visit would be a mantis infested one. I didn't think they'd start beaming over that early!

I also bought my first ever transporter and beamed a couple mantis of crew over during that first run. Can anyone (everyone) guess the obvious mistake I made...

Destroyed the ship with your crew still on it?

I did the same the first only time I've managed to get a teleporter. I used a beam weapon to cut across the ship and carefully calculated it to leave the enemy ship on 1 hull strength left, except by the time it fired my crew had taken out the shields...

I had a great run last night with the Engi Cruiser. I hadn't completed it with that ship and it was a bit of a throwaway run to focus on unlocking other ships (I had felt the game was getting a bit stale and that unless I could unlock something pretty soon, I'd probably hang up my hat). Anyway, got the Slug and Zoltan cruisers, and defeated the flagship in record time! Had a scrap recovery arm early, so I was fully upgraded by the time I got to sector 8 with redundant power slots in basically everything. Loadout was 2 ion blast IIs, a pike beam (I was lugging round a glaive beam as well but couldn't afford the power usage), 2 beam drones and an anti-ship. Tactic was simple: wreck the shield with the ion blasts then shoot it with things, and it was highly effective.

Looking forward to trying out the new ships!

I got to the flagship last night, defeated it once, then perished.

If I'd had a bit more health I reckon I could have taken it too.

I unlocked fhe Engi Layouf 2 - I want some more ships yet the unlocking seems pretty harsh...this is a game where I'd pay 69p to unlock the other ships :P

Finally managed to complete an easy run on the Mantis type-A cruiser. I hadn't realised quite how much a boarding party (of fully leveled mantis' no less) makes the boss fight almost trivial, once you've killed 3 of the four weapons dudes you can just beam in and out picking off the rest as long as you have an s-bomb or ion bomb to take out their first aid bay with your ship taking no hull damage at all. Still not worked up the stones to have a go on normal though ;)

How frustrating. I had 2 Pegasus launchers and was certain to defeat the final boss. Except I ran out of rockets :facepalm:

I thought my boarding drone might be able to take down the guys on board - except he got stuck in a weapon room.

I had a fair bit of cash too and upgraded most things, yet my crew compliment never got above 4 due to starting with the Engi 2 layout.

I want to try teleporters, after much success with the boarding bot. I'm just worried I will kill everyone again!

I guess ion weapons and transporters are the best combo.

I got hold of this game a couple of weeks ago and finally decided to try it out last Sunday and over the last few days this week have been playing it in the evenings a fair bit. It's really really well made and is also the first of this kind of game for me to play. I never ever got into PC style space games or stragegy style games at all and even the look of this wasn't doing me any favours from the screen shots upon early glances. The thing is though, I'd seen many people on here rave on about it, that and it's a Kickstarter success which really intreagued me. The more you play, the more it opens up different ways of thinking and really seems fairly simple at first, but really it has so much depth and certainly a great deal of replayability.

The idea of "Rogue Likes" put me off, as I'd heard them mentioned on a guy's Youtube channel a few times in the past, and he'd once talked about playing that overhead RPG that's about a year old or something (oldschool looking RL thing) on the PC (forget the name of it) stating that you could spend dozens of hours on it only to die and lose everything. Well both Spelunky and FTL do it right as far as RL's go as they aren't time consuming enough that you simply wouldn't want to restart, yet they are brilliant because of the unique journey each time you start out from the beginning again.

I did have a few video graphic issues which caused the game to shut down initially, but that hasn't happened for a bit. That was extremely annoying as you'd lose everything. I was doing alright on one game spanning a couple of days which disappeared at sector 4 while I was in the kitchen making some food, only to come back and nothing was on my computer at all only the desktop.

The first few games took me as far as the first few sectors, but over the last three days or so I have gotten my furthest but not quite finished it yet. I got to the second confrontation of the final ship in sector 8, only to end up dying as my main power had gotten too low. I was doing really well and murmured a "YESSS" upon defeating that first battle until it mentioned that I had to re-visit and take it out again. My game plan for that whole game was based around missiles, a fire gun and a couple of lasers. I'd use the missiles to take down the shields more often than not and try to get the lasers to damage the rest of the ship. Luckily I'd seen someone on here talk about how important it was to use a cloaking device and decided to sell unused weapons in the end of sector 7 to get it. At fist I thought it was useless with its 5 seconds of hide time, but by the time I'd gotten to the last ship, it was upgraded to the full 15 seconds, and seeing their ship hide with one too, it really proved to be useful gaining time. The problem with the first encounter is that I'd run out of missiles entirely just as I'd blown it up. As I'd come back to fight it a second time, I was only using lasers, and as they have a harder time getting success through the 4 bloody shields, it was hard to damage. I had a full crew of 8 people on board so could take out problems on board.

Eventually, I ran out of ship health and the whole thing blew up. That's one thing I tend to forget about entirely. I managed to unlock the engi ship you get for reaching sector 8 on easy, so have started with this new one (up to sector 4 now) and have started using drones for the first time. In the previous game, I got all the way to the end without using a single drone so you get an achievement for that it would seem.

I have to mention that the music is extremely well suited and well done. I love that music in the last sector with the bassline that reminds me of Tomcraft Lonliness.

I got to the second boss fight for the first time last night, and just like you, I managed to use all my missiles in the first one. I had a standard laser & bio beam which were obviously pretty useless without the missiles. I'm attributing my success to the fact that I picked up the Pre Charger which was invaluable for the last two sectors, I could take their shields down straight away & then hit them with the lasers / beam.

I had crazy luck though, every asteroid field I investigated resulted in treasure, I got the scrap arm early on & had plenty of encounters which just gave me free weapons & scrap. Got the achievement for reaching the last sector without losing a man too.

The idea of "Rogue Likes" put me off, as I'd heard them mentioned on a guy's Youtube channel a few times in the past, and he'd once talked about playing that overhead RPG that's about a year old or something (oldschool looking RL thing) on the PC (forget the name of it) stating that you could spend dozens of hours on it only to die and lose everything. Well both Spelunky and FTL do it right as far as RL's go as they aren't time consuming enough that you simply wouldn't want to restart, yet they are brilliant because of the unique journey each time you start out from the beginning again.

Most Roguelikes are actually like that, being a hour or less to complete. The "dozens of hours lost" thing probably refers to the fact that you can play it dozens of times failing to get any further each time. "Coffee break" roguelikes tend to be even shorter.

The Binding of Isaac is a nice sort of twin-stick shooter/old school Zelda roguelike that's shorter and is very good.

Victory, I have ensured the future of the Federation at last ( on Easy )! :)

After my last epic fail where I ran out of missiles for the second phase, I decided not to bother with them at all, in fact I used the Zoltan Type B ship & didn't really change the initial weapon configuration, kept the two basic Ion blasts, swapped the Pike for a Halberd & added a Heavy Laser. Lots of reactor power, shields up to level 3 & managed to get two drones which really helped on the last two sectors; Defense II & Anti-Ship I.

So, so pleased with myself, when I beat the second phase I was literally on the edge of my seat & couldn't believe there was a bloody third one too! Barely managed to get my hull back up to 75% for the last battle & nearly everything was on fire / disabled when I won.

GOTY! ( well its between this & Hotline Miami ) :) :)

Finally got the stealth cruiser. 4 ships to go now. Never seem to have any luck finding the rock mantis or slug home worlds.

Stealth is gonna be hard to finish with. I've never been a fan of the cloak. I'm more of a victory through overwhelming fire power sort.

Stealth is gonna be hard to finish with. I've never been a fan of the cloak. I'm more of a victory through overwhelming fire power sort.

First ship I managed to complete it with! So long as you can get a shield system reasonably early it's a great ship, because you can get through a lot of combats without damage.

If you aren't already doing so, make use of the pause button. I'm not sure if this is different on Normal, but on easy pause can be a life saver. While paused you can still select targets to fire upon with your weapons, and also open and close doors. When things get a little crazy on your ship, you can pause to think about what action to take next and who to send to the medic room while keeping on top of firing.

Maybe 90 minutes or so, does somewhat depend on your play style. You can save between encounters.

Worth noting that its all auto saved on exiting the game, but don't quit during a battle or your save will be trashed.

Had a decent run with the stealth ship. Encountered the ship unlock event in the mantis homeworlds but hadn't had a chance to install one of the necessary systems for getting that which was a bit annoying. Did unlock the rock ship in the same playthrough and I'm starting to see the benefits of an upgraed cloak. Unfortunatly I had criminally bad luck with weapons through the entire run and there was simply far too underpowered by the time I reached the last sector to be able to do anything against 4 shield ships.