FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

Wooooo, I finally saved the federation and got a victory on the easy run last night. It was the second time I'd gotten as far as the 8th sector and I managed it with the default ship you get. I did have the Engi ship, which was interesting with its droids and ion stuff (i think), but I missed the missiles and didn't get many while using that ship type. Started the last game just a bit after 10pm and didn't get to sleep until 4am.

Things just seemed to go in my favour this time right from early on. I managed to given a basic ion beam in about the second encounter and this thing really helps save missiles when combining it with the laser in those first few sectors. At one stage I think I had about 44 missiles and by the end of the second sector, I had a complete set of 8 crew members. There was a point where I must have gotten to roughly sector 5 or so and I was dangerously running low on health for the hull with no stores knocking about at all. At that exact moment I completed a quest, but this time it must have been some important assignment because the federation repaired my entire hull, gave me a weapon, gave me a load of scrap and I unlocked a new ship at the same time. There was a point where I lost a character without realising I'd been boarded. Eventually leading up to the last sector, I had plenty of missiles, the ion beam, the laser, the pegasus missile gun and the fire gun as my main weapons of choice. My shields finally got to 4, I had a cloaking device levelled up to 3, twin driods on the go, one for defence and one for attacking with, about 16 driods for the run and some other general enhancements with a full 8 crew members.

The tricky part here was thinking what to use for weaponry as I had a few stock weapons and droids, but some were healing of various types, some were breaching. The problem is, once you start a battle then that's it, you have to stick with what you got until it's over. I was taking my time trying to work out what I should be using, what I should finish upgrading with my last bits of scrap and which path I should be taking to get to the rebel mother ship. When I got to the spot on the map before the ship itself I was fighting another battle and very very almost had a disaster with some of my key crew members and the ship entirely. I had some blackout happen and holes in rooms I couldn't see, then several people's health started decreasing and most of the ship was becoming red. I was at like 14% oxygen and the cameras were out, then I stupidly pressed the open all doors button to circulate oxygen around the whole place....TWICE! accidentally in a panic resulting in all the outside doors opening and my oxygen plummeting right down to 3% in seconds. At this stage I paused the game in horror. I'd been doing so well and couldn't believe what was going on. Somehow when I returned the hole must have been fixed and I got everything up and running again having only lost one crew member or so of all 8.

Finally moving onto the mothership, it proved to be far easier this time as I had about 38 missiles and with pegasus, you can fire two missiles for the price of one. That was a big life saver itself, in addition to the droids. Before I knew it, I had beaten the first instance and was onto the second one very quickly. This didn't too long either but I had to pause it often to ensure I wouldn't miss a single thing. I think it was about here that a droid was teleported onto my ship which proved to be tricky to kill as its health was huge in comparison to the rest of the crew. This is where pausing is so important, as you have to ensure that the person can survive long enough fighting but still get out in time while another set of people enter the same room from your ship to continue the fight. Leave the enemy on its own and it will tear away at your systems and hull.

Eventually I shot it down before seeing the mothership fly away again. On the main map I was unsure as to where it was headed next as it seemed to look like it was facing in the opposite direction to the red path line. My worry is that if I cocked up and it managed to escape, I'd have to then fight lots of other rebels trying to catch up again, wasting resources now that the entire map was being lit up by rebel spots. Luckily I think it was headed right for a health restore point, so I got a full bar of health back for the final battle. It appeared, this time firing waves of rockets and using the teleport, but my cloaking device proved to be a massive help here. It wasn't too difficult to dwindle down especially setting fire to almost every room on the ship. The satisfaction on my face as I realised this could be it, while at the same time my paranoia that the video card would do what it did to me the first time I played the game, which was to shut the program down unexpectedly, hence wiping all data. This had happened 3 times before. But before I knew it, the battle was over, it was game over rebel mother ship. This moment felt good, easily my moment of the year in a game and definitely my current game of the year over Dead Island (my current main title).

It was a nice touch to see all the names of the backers in the credits. It took me by surprise at first because I couldn't work out why all these names appeared that made AAA games credit screens look baren, then it clicked, it's all the people who backed the project on Kickstarter.

Downloaded this last night and had time for a few runs. Got to the third sector last night before saving last night, and one of my crew was killed by a boarding party :(

Have to say I'm really enjoying it and it's really addictive, although at the minute it's a little samey as I only have lasers and missiles and nothing else.

I downloaded the soundtrack, too. Does anyone know where this actually goes so I can put it on my phone?

• 4 weeks later...

Brilliantly addictive and amazingly simple.

Just makes me really want it on 3DS and a bit more fleshed out, totally hints at what a new Elite could be like without having to be full blown Mass Effect style. If it had a bit of training or an actual away team screen for landing on planets etc...

Really good game though.

Would love a mobile/iPad version, what are the chances?

The number of people who have played FTL and go on to say the game would be amazing on a touch screen is overwhelming, the developers can't not have noticed it. They have to be working on something unless they don't like money. I think it would be a huge hit on tablets (iPad, Nexus 7 etc) but it might be a tad fiddly on phones.

I think normal is really meant to be 'lol, normal'.

It's clearly anything but, as far as difficulties usually go. Rather, 'normal' is difficulty parlance for 'how the game is intended to play', rather than 'of average difficulty for most people on most games'.

I think the devs needed to be a bit clearer that in typical roguelike fashion, you arent really intended to win all that often.

The number of people who have played FTL and go on to say the game would be amazing on a touch screen is overwhelming, the developers can't not have noticed it. They have to be working on something unless they don't like money. I think it would be a huge hit on tablets (iPad, Nexus 7 etc) but it might be a tad fiddly on phones.

it's "under consideration", they are in the "research/testing phase" so we might see it. Seems like a no brainer to me. I would rather see an iPad version than Vita tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like you went through the same sort of thing as I did because I nearly fucked up badly just before fighting the rebel mothership. It was one of those groundbreaking gaming moments upon realising I had done it. Don't bother with normal though, that's just there to intentionally piss you off.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Reloaded a run through I was on. Goodness teleporters and the cloak are useful!

Right near the end (last but one sector) I picked up two more crew - a rock and an ant thing. They turned into my saviours; becoming teleporting hardcore crew extraordinaire.

Right on the last sector though, I'd beaten the flagship...

...twice and I was trying to make my way back to a repair point. 4 bars of health! Just as I was a jump away it got taken over :(

I went there anyway and defeated the rebels, and then decided to give the flagship a crack. Well I had to, it was a jump away from beating us.

My boarding boys (okay the ant was called Aisha) couldn't beat down the last remaining crew member who kept nipping into the med bay. So I targeted that system with lasers and soon he had no choice but to fight. And die...

And then the AI takes over?!

Well despite the special weapon and missiles I had maxed our my evasion and kept using the cloak just when I needed it.

The flagship fell after this protracted battle, both on board and in the vacuum of space. My crew safely back aboard we high fived each other and flew off for a curry.

Standard ship too. Easy mind.

mv0r9t.jpg

k0mxxl.jpg

:D

Them ants are Mantis, and they're super strong in a fight. Rock men have extra health and are fireproof. Also handy in a fight.

I think rockmen are better boarders and mantis better defenders, especially early game with a level one teleporter when it is all too easy to lose mantis. Rockmen have much better endurance due to their extra health and fire immunity.

I think rockmen are better boarders and mantis better defenders, especially early game with a level one teleporter when it is all too easy to lose mantis. Rockmen have much better endurance due to their extra health and fire immunity.

Yeah it had gone 2:30am and the pre-victory wine was messing with me!

I liked the rockman and mantis boarding crew - power and durability. Despite only finding them in the last but one sector in levelled them up reasonably quickly. With the teleporter fully charged it was easy to pull them back if needs be.

I had a pretty lucky run really. I ended up with 2

Burst II lasers, which meant I could take down 4 shields and hit the ship reasonably often - that's 6 laser shots in a few seconds.

I also found a teleporting bomb - really useful as its never shot down by defence drones.

It was a lucky run I guess, and the cloak and teleporters were more of an experiment from what I can recall...

I seem to have worked this out now. Just had my next go after my first victory and absolutely rinsed it. Finished the game with 2 burst laser IIs and a burst laser III. Destroyed every variant of the mother ship in seconds. Didn't have any stealth and also won the game without ever firing a missile. I had a badass boarding team too but hardly needed them. I used the very centre ship for the first time (federation cruiser?).

Might just be time to move on to normal.

I got to the final stage of the flagship for the first time today (normal). Had it down to 5 hull when I died. I think I would have rinsed it if I hadn't let it jump away with my boarding party after the first stage.

I think what I've been doing wrong all this time is not upgrading my shields quick enough. Seems like that should be the first thing to upgrade, despite the high cost. Seems to offer a big advantage in the early game.

Also I snapped this screenshot when I noticed my supplies/money situation...

post-2222-0-61684800-1362944185_thumb.pn