FTL - Faster than light

ravnaz

Grr I'm getting annoyed with it now. I keep getting really good runs where I pile up loads of fuel, drones and missiles then go through 3 sectors without a single space station. I've only managed the last sector once and not had a single shot at a weapon higher than level 2, they wiped me out when I got there.

It really could do with a save feature, some games you can invest a couple of hours in and all it takes is one mistake to end the game. I know that's against the design of the main game but I'd love there to be a simple exploration option. I want to see what's out there without having to worry that each leap could be my doom.

I know you're supposed to adapt to what you come across, but what are the first things you upgrade on a fresh run with the Kestrel? On easy i'm sat here with 30 scrap.

The scanners that give you more info about the jump. I forget the name, but they are 30 scrap and great. I love avoiding Ion Storms and jumps close to a Sun.

Grr I'm getting annoyed with it now. I keep getting really good runs where I pile up loads of fuel, drones and missiles then go through 3 sectors without a single space station.

It really could do with a save feature, some games you can invest a couple of hours in and all it takes is one mistake to end the game. I know that's against the design of the main game but I'd love there to be a simple exploration option. I want to see what's out there without having to worry that each leap could be my doom.

I agree, I had three slug nebulas in a row near the end, with no stores (they only appear in the non-nebula bits of the nebula sectors) which stitched me right up.

Having spent a few dozen hours with it, the flaws are becoming apparent, the most glaring one being the stalemates. I've had a few more since - one where I anticlimactically ran out of fuel, fell into the oncoming rebel fleet, and lacking the penetrative power to get through the rebel cruiser shields with my lasers, used up all my missiles on a ship that then warped away. The next six or seven turns were basically a farce - me sat deeper and deeper within enemy held territory, bleeping my distress beacon for all to see, attracting rebel cruisers which all left after a short period of our ships being completely unable to touch each other.

There really needs a way of penetrating or bypassing shields that doesn't rely on a finite resource. You'd think this would be boarding, but late game boarding is basically useless due to blast doors and medbays, making it suicide unless you have the power to penetrate the shields and disable the medbay in the first place. As it is, getting high end weapons - heavy ions, lasers with IIIs on the end is essential - which is an issue when they're random, based on random sectors and placement and requiring you to have enough scrap when you do encounter them. Other roguelike-likes have this kind of randomness too, but not in a way that completely prevents you from damaging enemies.

There are a few ships which guarantee you'll not have an issue with that - the Federation Cruiser and the ??? ship both have abilities which allow them to guarantee you can deal damage.* But yes, the random nature of the game does mean that you always run the risk of playthroughs which you just can't succeed in.

The cruiser's shield-ignoring laser, and the ???'s crewmember ability to lockdown areas making them boarders who can lockdown and destroy enemy systems without the enemy being able to get into the room to fight them/get out of the room to heal

Finally, a victory on Normal difficulty (with only one lost crewmember, thanks to my stupidly deciding to see what happened if you try and capture the peaceful animals in the penultimate sector :(). I am inordinately proud of myself:

post-409-0-58317800-1349040017_thumb.png

Definitely helped by the ship, mind - it's very good at avoiding certain pitfalls that random chance can throw your way.

Yeah, it took ages to get the right set of circumstances for it to show (though, predictably enough, on my playthrough with the ship immediately after unlocking it I managed to go through the exact same process a second time). Well worth it, though.

If it's any consolation I still haven't managed to get the Rock ship - though in the playthrough pictured I did unlock both the Slug and Mantis cruisers, so am looking forward to playing with them.

I'm in the middle of such a good game at the minute. Rock ship with 8 crew, cloaking, teleporting, drone ability, lots of weapons, 3 shields, lots of fuel, missiles and drones. I had to save and quit earlier as I'm so worried I'm going to screw this play through up. The tension was killing me at the end.

The Kestrel 'B' layout seems almost perfect for running mostly in Vacuum.

Perfect that is until the door control and med bay stop functioning when both are in hard vacuum...

Incidentally, do rooms vent quicker if you turn the oxygen system off, so it isn't trying to pump air in as it rushes straight back out again?

Beat the flagship at the third attempt. Used the 'Redtail' or Kestrel B. Had a fairly dry run, didn't find much in the way of weaponry or systems. By the end all I had installed extra was the drone control - no cloak or transporter. Did have a full crew compliment though with a couple handy Zoltans powering up systems. The lack of systems meant all my scrap had been invested into the ship though, I had maxed my shields and engines. Weaponry wise I was a little underpowered I though, a pair of burst lasers with a heavy ion and a fire bomb. I had felt in previous runs a fire bomb may be very useful due to the way the flagship's weapons are in seperate compartments - I was right as a fire bomb or two could usually overwhelm the crewman and eventually destroy the weapon while everything else pounded the shield system. I'd like to try beaming mantis right into those compartments in future playthroughs.

I also had a defence drone 2 (just one) which I think saved me, especially in the second battle.

You have to kill all the enemy crew. Usually easiest by boarding, but possible through asphyxiation, fire, and/or ship weapons. You then strip the ship (get a higher amount of scrap and a better chance at weapons/drones/augments/etc.)

No. I've read that it's better to not destroy ships and take them over as you can then strip them of scrap. All the places I've read say this is better than actually destroying them as you get more stuff. But not once have I seen any option or hint at how to do it.

I had felt in previous runs a fire bomb may be very useful due to the way the flagship's weapons are in seperate compartments - I was right as a fire bomb or two could usually overwhelm the crewman and eventually destroy the weapon while everything else pounded the shield system. I'd like to try beaming mantis right into those compartments in future playthroughs.

A mantis can take out the crewman and destroy the weapon, then you have to beam him back, heal him, transport him to the next one.

Fire weapons seem more efficient at first glance. Then again, you might not encounter them.

No. I've read that it's better to not destroy ships and take them over as you can then strip them of scrap. All the places I've read say this is better than actually destroying them as you get more stuff. But not once have I seen any option or hint at how to do it.

As revlob says above, you have to kill all the enemy crew. That's it. Generally this involves sending a boarding party (requires a teleporter), or sustained attacks on their O2 supply (fire/breach weapons are your friend here) until they asphyxiate. Once the crew are dead, you get a little message telling you that you managed to strip the ship/collect a weapon system/find a hidden captive etc., and will generally get a higher amount of scrap than if you'd simply destroyed the ship.

I've proper soured on this. I think it's badly designed.

There's just not really many choices to make - you can't customise your ship, you can't linger (and there's no reason to rush), it's just left or right over and over again. I came to an event, and had two choices. Trial and error told me that one got me nothing and the other lost me a crew member. The actual good choice involved having a slug crew member, or a equipment X, which I didn't have. I can't go pick those up because I don't know if there's a store ahead, and even if I doubled back the event wouldn't trigger again. This isn't a choice, it's a delayed reward for choosing X.

The actual choice is how to build up your ship, but this is still a false choice since the superboss requires a few specific builds. I can whizz through 99% of the game without issue running a boarding strategy and run into a brick wall at the end.

The game is basically working out gameplay systems and memorising events through trial and error, and then crashing up against something that breaks those gameplay systems by cheating. I found mechanics discovery and encountering new events and stuff pretty fun at the start, but it's not good design.

I hope with their Kickstarter money they can produce something new - fix their mechanics, provide the player with meaningful choices (even ship customisation would help this!) and come up with a less bullshit campaign.

Hnnggg

Got to the final stage of the flagship on normal using the Engi cruiser.

Pair of ion weapons pounding the shields, fire bomb burning out the missile weapon and a defence drone taking out missiles with an anti-ship drone dealing the actual damage. Just wasn't quite enough to keep me going through all three fights with no repairs. If I'd had a few more drone parts left I'd have stood a better chance and been a bit more liberal with their use.

At least I got all the engi ship achievements on the way, the alternate design is... interesting. Think I prefer the original though, defensively it's a beast when you've jacked up the shields. Who needs to take chances with evasion when you have defence drones? Just wish I'd been a bit more lucky and found some v.II drones, I was still using the schematic you start with on the flagship!

Defence I is actually better against the flagship, since it ignores lasers and prioritises missiles and boarding drones instead. With the flagship, Defence II tends to get overwhelmed by all the ion blasts and laser shots and lets the missiles and drones through instead, whereas Defence I will reliably focus on the really dangerous stuff.

I've proper soured on this. I think it's badly designed.

There's just not really many choices to make - you can't customise your ship, you can't linger (and there's no reason to rush), it's just left or right over and over again. I came to an event, and had two choices. Trial and error told me that one got me nothing and the other lost me a crew member. The actual good choice involved having a slug crew member, or a equipment X. I can't go pick those up because I don't know if there's a store ahead, and even if I doubled back the event wouldn't trigger again. This isn't a choice, it's a delayed reward for choosing X.

The actual choice is how to build up your ship, but this is still a false choice since the superboss requires a few specific builds. I can whizz through 99% of the game without issue running a boarding strategy and run into a brick wall at the end.

The game is basically working out gameplay systems and memorising events through trial and error, and then crashing up against something that breaks those gameplay systems by cheating. I found mechanics discovery and encountering new events and stuff pretty fun at the start, but it's not good design.

I hope with their Kickstarter money they can produce something new - fix their mechanics, provide the player with meaningful choices (even ship customisation would help this!) and come up with a less bullshit campaign.

The whole game is discovering how it all works and fits together. IMO people let it make them believe that it's something more than this and they end up disappointed.