Last Resort - Nukes on a Sub!

Mentazm

LAST-RESORT-Season-1-Cast-Promo.jpg

Just watched the pilot for this. Wasn't on my radar (see what I did there?), but heard it being talked about on a podcast in fairly positive terms so thought I'd give it a show. Really really strong opener, and one that got me thirsty for more. Some great actors involved, a lot of familiar faces, I think I'm going to enjoy this one!

It was OK. I always think it's difficult to judge a series from the first episode because mostly it's just setting everything up and trying to get all the people into the right places before the story proper starts. There were some daft bits though. In particular the scene where

they are firing a nuke at the US and the captain almost aborts it because he was just bluffing but then the US gives in just in time, and then he lets it go anyway but it hits miles out in the sea was a bit stupid for multiple reasons. Why was he going to abort it if he knew it wouldn't hit anyway? How did no-one else with him know it was going to hit way out in the sea? Did he set it's destination himself in secret? If so, then why? Why did no-one else do anything more than gasp a bit when they thought he was actually going to nuke America.

I think ya'll are reading way too much into a fairly disposably 45 minutes of entertainment. Yes, it was supremely cheesy and stupid in places (the La Bamba bit had me crining too), but like above poster said - it felt very much like a setup for whats to follow.

It was alright, nothing to rave about and I can't quite understand the gushing praise it's getting from some quarters overseas. I can't help but feel that a premise like this would be much better explored on a premium cable channel. But after The Shield and Terriers, Shawn Ryan has earned enough of my trust to give it a few more episodes.

Having watched quite a few network premiers during the past month, each and every one of them has found a flimsy excuse to get one of the actresses down to their skimpies. This show's rationale was particularly desperate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Never seen this part of the forum before. Won't have much time to contribute, but nice to see.

Shame about Last Resort - one of the shows I've been working on over the past year. Was always going to be touch and go with the ratings, but it had a lot going for it and some good people involved. Shame, particularly after Terriers going in a similar direction.