Double Dragon Neo

Anne Summers

Only had a brief play of the demo - first thing to say is I hate the graphical style - just like too much identikit "stylised" bog-standard anime you get in Arcade / indie games / remakes these days. Second thing is the gameplay doesn't seem too bad, from what I've seen so far. Fairly solid fighting, responsive controls , fluid combos.

Third thing to say (going to stop numbering things as I say them now) is that I'm a bit disappointed it doesn't play a bit more respect to the source material, in terms of level design - would have liked to see Billy and Jimmy making the same journey they made before, but souped up with this new engine, just for nostalgia sakes really. End of level 2 sees you going into a house which then blasts off into space and level 3 starts in some kind of space station. Ideally I would have liked a full remake of 1, 2 and 3's level designs, back-to-back, with the option to play any level as any character (or enemy) from DD 1, 2 or 3 - but that's my dream DD remake really, and I wasn't really expecting that either.

If there's something I miss, it's the original style quality pixel art that seems to be non existent, except in circumstances where people make games that overly exaggerate the fact that "hey look this is a pixel game" like Meganoid or something. While I do like modern style takes on games and I haven't seen any screen shots of this game what so ever so I can't comment enough on this example, but many modern games feel flat and joined together. Some do it very well like Rayman, where others feel a bit more disjointed, and like I said it is good still, but that's all we ever seem to see in many cases. I look at some of these older Neo Geo and Arcade games and even stuff from Snes and MD era and just feel like hardly anyone can do this sort of thing anymore. It's a bit like rennasance art, and old intense skill that isn't needed or doesn't make enough money so is update by short cutting and faster techniques.

I had a look for it to see what this was about. Firstly i'm guessing you are talking about Double Dragon Neon? The characters are more 3D but with that 2D look to many of the background objects still there, like a bin would look completely flat yet the characters are in 3D giving that inconsistency about it. WIth pure pixel art, things tend to be more consistent. This game reminds me of the sort of thing you'd get on the PS1 or PS2 when 3D iterations of games started coming out but were clearly shit in comparison to the originals. It does look alright though but lacks a lot of charm. I dunno, am I being overly harsh?? The level on here does look quite sparse empty and dull.

I'd ultimately love to see some new games in the same style as they used to make. Things like sunset riders sort of thing.

Yes, DD Neon, I left the last N off the title for some reason...

Yeah, the 2D background objects do look very flat next to the characters, and feel flat too. The style thing here is particularly emphasized and as it happens not the most terrible example - there is a kind of flair to the garish 80sness of it. I just personally don't find it aesthetically pleasing.

The only one I have player in the past is Super Double Dragon. I don't think I was massively into it at the time but when I checked it out last Christmas round a friends house, I could see the appeal with the varied moves and gameplay in two player felt like it worked well.

I remember you pointing out your distaste about this style in the podcast swainy, or at least I think it was this game.

Yeah I was hoping for something g a bit closer to the original but I will say that I was surprised at how much I am enjoying it. It's a fun game.

I played through the trail of this and once I got the combat system down I thought it was great. It looks and sounds fantastic and has the crucial element any good brawler needs and that is a sense of weight to the attacks. Everything hits hard making it satisfying to play, just like SoR2.

Having picked this up free on PSN+ I've just sat down and played through the first 6 Missions in one sitting. Needless to say its grabbed me (enough to drag me off Borderlands 2).. Im with Strider and Substance on this one, although its not really true to the original its still a damn good (and most importantly fun) fighter.

It also feels much more accessible than other recent scrolling beat-em-ups.. Scott Pilgrim springing immediately to mind.

Oh and the soundtrack is just awesome.. anyone any idea if its available for download? :wub:

Having picked this up free on PSN+ I've just sat down and played through the first 6 Missions in one sitting. Needless to say its grabbed me (enough to drag me off Borderlands 2).. Im with Strider and Substance on this one, although its not really true to the original its still a damn good (and most importantly fun) fighter.

It also feels much more accessible than other recent scrolling beat-em-ups.. Scott Pilgrim springing immediately to mind.

Oh and the soundtrack is just awesome.. anyone any idea if its available for download? :wub:

Yep, see the Live Arcade thread for the link to the guy's bandcamp page.

Still have to pick it up but getting some very mixed reviews. A lot of people seem to say its just had the DD name stuck on and that its not really anything to do with the series.

This isn't really true - there is a lot there that is definitely DD - English Tear , Marion getting punched in the stomach, Abobo, Linda, Willams ... that's just the demo though so I don't know how it goes later on.

It might not be as pure DD as some wanted but it's definitely not just a generic scrolling fighter with a DD logo slapped on the front.

I bought this yesterday after a couple of plays on the trial. The graphical style isn't really too my liking but it's not terrible. The gameplay is getting better the more I play (up to level 3 so far). Can't decide if I like the power up system or not yet. The music is definitely the best thing so far, especially the remixed classic tracks and the female vocal synth-pop track on stage 2. The soundtrack is on bandcamp as a 'pay what you want' purchase.

http://virt.bandcamp.com/album/double-dragon-neon

Finished this (on normal) last night and enjoyed almost every minute of it - with the exception of the Forest level. Will be going back in to have a proper crack at the harder skill levels which seem to be a real step up in difficulty. Still loving the music and the presentation in general. The vitriol on Trueachievements about the 1g achievement is hilarious too. Although that discussion led me to discover the wonderfully trollish Bullet Witch with its 1g for finishing all levels on the hardest skill setting.

I like this but a few thing that bugs me....loads of buttons! Would of liked it keeping it to less buttons, double tap to run, more smart grabbing like sor 2 e.t.c also platforming with death pits :/ guess they were in the origanal but..... All in all I give it my thumbs up

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic little game. And a tribute to so many 80s things. Almost to the point that it may completely baffle some Double dragon fans /younger players :D. Its all too short but whats there has kept me laughing along on every playthrough. Even after beating the first boss about 30 times he still is cracking new puns I hadnt heard yet. Currently half way through double dragon difficulty but doubt I'll get much further without some serious non blinking nes style focus. This is what gaming should be like.And teh soundtrack wow! Definitely worth purchasing. Other games like Golden Axe with the same treatment in 2D would be nuts.

• 3 months later...