rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
michael

Pocket Universe - the Quick and Dirty PnP version

So, it looks like we’re pretty much ready to go with my newest game, Pocket Universe. The game is, in my mind, finished. Playtesting has gone well with teams from around the world checking out my little game of space exploration and general nastiness! Whether it’s people I know or blind test groups, their work has been immeasurably useful taking the game from its early versions through to the final build.

—–

“Pocket Universe is a game for two to four players where they must zip around a newly created (and highly unstable!) area of space collecting valuable resources in order to gain as many points as possible. There are three levels of play ranging from Cadet (perfect for newbies and kids) all the way up to Captain (where everything gets a bit nastier).

Planets will be discovered as the game progresses that yield the precious resources. Will you stash them all back at your base or spend them on scuppering your opponents’ plans? Once twelve planets are revealed, it’s a manic race to drop your final haul or it’s all lost! Games are quick and fast-moving, normally taking between 20 to 30 minutes.

Grab what you can and get out quick! Only the speediest (and sneakiest) will prove victorious in the Pocket Universe!”

—–

Now it’s time to set it out for anyone to try it! I’ve created a low-ink Print and Play version of the game that doesn’t take too long to make up. Just print it up on some decent thickness card, follow the instructions and chop the lot up. If you’re interested in trying it out, even for just one game, I ask only one thing: PLEASE fill out the feedback questionnaire that’s included in the PnP Pack – it’ll make getting the game into production a thousand times faster!

Sprocket Games will be working in association with Game Salute to get Pocket Universe into the hands of gamers as soon as possible. All we need now is your assistance.

If you’d like to try out Pocket Universe, just click on the link below and you’ll be taken to the Dropbox for the game. In there you’ll find everything you need to play as well as the play test form. Whether you play it once or more (and obviously, it’d be great if you played it more!) fill out the form and email it back to michael@littlemetaldog.com

http://db.tt/mLxvWDTI

Everyone who playtests will get credited in the final rulebook, and once the game is produced I’ll organise a giveaway of a few copies of the final product! If you’ve got any questions or comments, feel free to email me or give me a shout on Twitter where I’m @idlemichael.

Oh yeah - check out the preliminary box art :D

post-250-0-35098700-1348425088_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

There's 12 pages in total - most of them are hex tiles, and only one of them is a little fiddly (the resources and shield/laser tokens). I built a fully mounted set in less than an hour today with a cutting board and a craft knife.

And I finished cutting them out today! It's been a busy old term, but I've sat down with a pair of scissors and done it (don't have a craft knife or cutting board), hopefully get a chance to try it out thhis weekend.

Sorry for the month long wait, but look! Pics!

63b0c8609a7c2b77e8b5393e16c11c19_zps257106d8.jpg

0214587d5f88d2107ab6fcf375011b9f_zps7b398fb5.jpg

8a342860d599cdf575c7c6dbdf60de8e_zps7154eb89.jpg

The first one pic is after placing the galaxy out. We couldn't find the examples in the rules, so just put them anywhere. That was fine, then placed ships and blew each other up a lot. Good times, but we think we were blowing each other up too much and have questions about that. Also we never once ran out of cargo space. Because we were killing each other where possible we couldn't pick up too much. So a question: should all ships start with 3 lasers even when blown up? It could have been because there were 2 of us, so firing

lasers was always rewarding, and took no action points. Also I had the extra fuel power, do I lose that if my ship gets destroyed, even if I keep my ship type?

That's a nice set up - I love sprawling random tile placements :)

So, if you get blown up, you don't get new lasers - only at the start of the game do you get three, as well as if you switch to a new ship back at base. Need to clarify that in the rules, sorry! Also, any special Powers you have are discarded if you're destroyed and are out of the game permanently :)