IGNORED

Team Yu needs you!

crisy

At this point i'd be happy with a cut down graphic novel. It'd be a tease but it'd provide closure at the very least. Shenmue by todays standards isn't all that complex a game. Think of GTA 4 or any other similar open world game and they are 100s of times bigger and more detailed than Shenmue 2 and whilst they cost a bomb, cut down the game to just a handful of areas like Shenmue 2 and the detail could still be kept at a fraction of the cost.

Sega are an odd company. They've release sequels to popular games 10+ years later, they've ignored Streets of Rage multiple times despite it being huge in the 16 bit days and they've released games no body has wanted, We even got an Arcade perfect version of Dayonta and HotD 4 last year, along with Gun Blade the year before and no one thought we'd ever in a million years get them. Hell Gunblade is nearly 20 years old at this point and was an extremely random release.

One thing confuses me. It isn't unusual that Suzuki would like to finish the story, neither is it unusual to voice that to fans. I'm unclear on if he has publicly asked Sega to either give him the chance or do it themselves or any other actual determination to get it made? It's a big difference, and I have no idea which it is.

Surely he better than anyone would know the problems with actually achieving the dream of finishing it?

It may have been, but I was responding to the point of why it didn't sell all that well on Xbox. As you point out, it seems that it was only meant for North American fans who had already played the first Shenmue on DC and had an Xbox. But it wouldn't have appealed to gamers who hadn't already played the first and so had no investment in the story, hence the low sales.

So by your own logic then, any Shenmue 3 would have no way of increasing its' market, would it? After all, it didn't sell on the Xbox because you say it only appealed to those who had already played the first game, so given that a fair proportion of those people probably left gaming who does that leave?

And besides which, the Xbox was often mentioned as being a spiritual Dreamcast 2 - and so there was quite possibly a fair amount of people that migrated to it (mainly in the US). And if everybody cared so deeply about the series, they *would* have bought it on the Xbox. But they didn't.

Out of interest, that Facebook update suggested that other Shenmue fansites weren't helping promote the tweetathon - why is that?

So by your own logic then, any Shenmue 3 would have no way of increasing its' market, would it? After all, it didn't sell on the Xbox because you say it only appealed to those who had already played the first game, so given that a fair proportion of those people probably left gaming who does that leave?

And besides which, the Xbox was often mentioned as being a spiritual Dreamcast 2 - and so there was quite possibly a fair amount of people that migrated to it (mainly in the US). And if everybody cared so deeply about the series, they *would* have bought it on the Xbox. But they didn't.

Out of interest, that Facebook update suggested that other Shenmue fansites weren't helping promote the tweetathon - why is that?

The problem with the Xbox version is any us fan imported a euro copy a year in advance on a console they already owned. The Xbox was expensive at the time too, so a $50 import is always cheaper than a $50 game plus $400-$500 console.

it seems that a few people here have completely missed the point of this campiagn, so I will respond to a few points.

So their reason to do something... Is people saying they should do something without giving a reason?

No, I don't think you've read my original posts in this thread. The goal of this campaign is to raise awareness on a very public platform, so when people tweet or retweet all their followers we also see it. Ideally the goal is to eventually get the hashtag trending if possible. This is not something that will be good for Sega's public image, as it makes Sega look like they do not value their long term fans and this is for all the world to see, thus it is not so easily ignorable. If the campaign gets large enough, the reason for Sega to take action will be so to improve their image.

I never played Shenmue (I will eventually) but you're coming across a bit Field of Dreams, here. You're assuming that everyone who bought into the franchise will come back. Fact of the matter is plenty of people who were gaming back then will have stopped, and many who enjoy the franchise won't have played it at the time but as a retro game.

You say it wouldn't need much investment because it needs atmosphere or something, citing Deadly Premonition as an example. Sega don't want to sell Deadly Premonition, they've already had games like Alpha Protocol and Binary Domain which have had similar struggles at retail. The longer they don't make Shenmue 3, the more it retains this mythical status amongst people who know about it and want it. If a shit or rough game comes out, that's it. They provide you with your closure but that potential has gone.

I had a kickstarter fund more in mind when I was referring to it being made with the engine of Deadly Premonition

You'd be far better off trying to get Sega to release Shenmue I & II on XBLA/PSN/eShop/Steam to be honest.

We are, hence why many of the tweets read something like "Sega please re-release Shenmue on XBLA/PSN or #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense"

You want Sega to do something with Shenmue? The least you can do is keep the game's profile high by talking about it in forums, and supporting the projects that involve Shenmue/Ryo (All-Stars Racing, the Microsoft Avatar Jacket, etc). Eventually Sega might re-release S1&2 on Xbox Live, and eventually they might take the risk themselves.

We are doing this. One of the best things about the campaign is simply that it is generating discussion and getting the fanbase active and united again.

The whole kicking and screaming 'Give Yu the license' thing is misguided, rude, and will get Shenmue fans as a collective nowhere other than to look like a bunch of spoiled brats. The capsule toy was fine - geeky but charming, but this one is just embarassing.

See, I agree the capsule toy campaign was thoroughly charming, more charming than this campaign. But it also lacked the potential to be as effective. Sega recieve a few hundred or even a few thousand capsules at their HQ, and all they have to do (and all they did do) is completely ignore it, they don't even have to provide a response to the fans. But when fans are asking for IMO pretty reasonable action to be taken i.e re-release Shenmue or give yu the license (yes they may have started "milking" it again, but it's hardly much of an earner for them, and Yu has expressed a desire for the license, personally I think he deserves it) and it's all in front of the wider world to see, it's harder for Sega sweep under the carpet as they did the capsule campaign.

Some kind of downloadable re-release could make the first two games easily accessible, and introduce them to a new audience.

Mainly other FB sites, the only large Shenmue Fansite (Shenmue Dojo) does now actively support the campaign. As for the FB groups that aren't yet participating, you would have to ask them, as we have received no responses.

Mainly other FB sites, the only large Shenmue Fansite (Shenmue Dojo) does now actively support the campaign. As for the FB groups that aren't yet participating, you would have to ask them, as we have received no responses.

Ah, so Shenmue Dojo is large is it. Let's see how many users it has on its forum!

6,800. Smaller than rllmuk.

And I can't check how active the forum actually is, because whatever you do on their site you get this:

mSyYh.jpg

With such a huge, professional site behind you how can you fail!

...the goal is to eventually get the hashtag trending if possible. This is not something that will be good for Sega's public image, as it makes Sega look like they do not value their long term fans and this is for all the world to see, thus it is not so easily ignorable. If the campaign gets large enough, the reason for Sega to take action will be so to improve their image.

What... are you saying that the point of the campaign is to damage Sega's public image and 'shame' them into making Shenmue 3 (or 'giving Yu the license' or whatever) in order to improve their image? Incredible.

We are, hence why many of the tweets read something like "Sega please re-release Shenmue on XBLA/PSN or #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense"

Raising awareness by getting Twitter trending is fair enough, but the hash-tag is completely wrong and misleading for the purpose. If the purpose was to raise awareness, why not pick something like #WeWantShenmue3 ? Again, the whole #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense is completely misguided.

I agree the capsule toy campaign was thoroughly charming, more charming than this campaign. But it also lacked the potential to be as effective. Sega recieve a few hundred or even a few thousand capsules at their HQ, and all they have to do (and all they did do) is completely ignore it

How do you KNOW they ignored it? The capsule toy campaign was inoffensive, tailored to the purpose of showing Sega there is a dedicated fanbase after a decade of no Shenmue news, and most importantly did not harass them in public. If they wanted to ignore it, they could have - but how do you know they ignored it?

Don't you wonder why, after Sega not even listing Shenmue on their website and never speaking about it for a decade - almost as if they were ashamed of it and didn't want to acknowledge its existence - but then suddenly they start talking more openly about it, Shenmue Gai is given the go-ahead, and Ryo Hazuki turns up in Sega All-Stars Racing? After ten years of nothing, don't you think that Sega could have thought "Hey, all these capsule toys arriving from all over the world - maybe there might be a way we can leverage the Shenmue stuff again. Let's test the water."

We don't know that this is what happened, but did you honestly think that Sega would come out and make a public statement along the lines of "After receiving hundreds of capsule toys from fans all over the world, we have decided to resurrect Shenmue and will be assigning a studio to complete the trilogy". Just because they didn't acknowedge it does not mean that they completely ignored it. Don't you think they are more likely to ignore a handful of people on twitter - supposed fans - trying to bully them?

But when fans are asking for IMO pretty reasonable action to be taken i.e re-release Shenmue...

This may be reasonable, but do you expect them to announce their plans ahead of time to appease a few fans? You don't know how complicated it is to make a game. You don't know how complicated it is to get a Dreamcast game working on modern machines, with achievement support etc, and then QA the whole thing... If they are working on getting Shenmue on XBLA and PSN, and I believe they are, it won't be a quick or cheap job, especially with a game of its size.

...or give yu the license (yes they may have started "milking" it again, but it's hardly much of an earner for them, and Yu has expressed a desire for the license, personally I think he deserves it)

We're going around in circles. Yu Suzuki expressing a desire to work on the game again means nothing without financial backing. Has Yu said how he would pay to get the game built if he was given the license? Clearly Sega aren't willing to put up the money to make the game YET, but perhaps this is why the sudden influx of Shenmue related stuff has turned up over the last couple of years - to raise awareness, and to judge the potential audience. And this - Yu 'deserves' the license? What on earth... this is BUSINESS we're discussing. Just because so many of us Shenmue fans have such an emotional investment in the game, it does not mean that it's a free property to be used to fulfil some kind of entitlement, or because someone 'deserves' it.

Sega are an odd company. They've release sequels to popular games 10+ years later, they've ignored Streets of Rage multiple times despite it being huge in the 16 bit days and they've released games no body has wanted, We even got an Arcade perfect version of Dayonta and HotD 4 last year, along with Gun Blade the year before and no one thought we'd ever in a million years get them. Hell Gunblade is nearly 20 years old at this point and was an extremely random release.

Ports of existing titles isn't really comparable to asking them to fund a completely new sequel to the most expensive game they ever bankrolled. I can't really name any major investment they've made in the last decade that wasn't a sequel or attempted reboot (for their Japanese owned properties), all the major investment has been in Western-focused titles, the Aliens license has had shedloads poured into it over the last few years as they've invested in at least 5 games based on the license, and one of those has been in development for ages.

Scrolling beat-em-ups are KIA, Capcom and Namco already proved the case to them last gen.

What... are you saying that the point of the campaign is to damage Sega's public image and 'shame' them into making Shenmue 3 (or 'giving Yu the license' or whatever) in order to improve their image? Incredible.

You could look at it that way, but as I've already expressed earlier in this thread, there isn't really any nastiness, we are just expressing what we feel to be fair, and on a public platform. It certainly has the potential to get more consistent attention than another mass mailing to Sega's HQ. I don't think it's malicious, we're just being honest and using twitter, many fans do feel that if Sega are just sitting on the license (statues and clothes aside) that they should give Yu the license. It's pretty simple. we are hardly "bullying" Sega!

If the purpose was to raise awareness, why not pick something like #WeWantShenmue3 ? Again, the whole #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense is completely misguided

I also feel like I'm going around in circles here. You personally may think Yu has not a hope in hell of attaining the license, but regardless, if he did have the license it would open the door for kickstarter and at least give Shenmue 3 a chance. Kickstarter or something similar is simply not an option under Sega. It comes down to fact that it's been over decade and Sega have done almost nothing with license, many fans (myself included obviously) feel that if Sega don't announce an HD re-release some time in the not too distant future, than it's got more of a chance with Yu and potentially with something like kickstarter. That is why we tweet the hashtag.

How do you KNOW they ignored it? The capsule toy campaign was inoffensive, tailored to the purpose of showing Sega there is a dedicated fanbase after a decade of no Shenmue news, and most importantly did not harass them in public. If they wanted to ignore it, they could have - but how do you know they ignored it?

Don't you wonder why, after Sega not even listing Shenmue on their website and never speaking about it for a decade - almost as if they were ashamed of it and didn't want to acknowledge its existence - but then suddenly they start talking more openly about it, Shenmue Gai is given the go-ahead, and Ryo Hazuki turns up in Sega All-Stars Racing? After ten years of nothing, don't you think that Sega could have thought "Hey, all these capsule toys arriving from all over the world - maybe there might be a way we can leverage the Shenmue stuff again. Let's test the water."

Maybe Sega were deeply moved by the capsules, but they certainly didn't acknowledge the campaign (even a simple,"hey we appreciated all the capsules with nice messages inside...but still can't discuss Shenmue" would have been nice) or Shenmue in any real way until years later! Maybe they are testing the waters with a very limited edition and very expensive statue, and the insert clothing stuff. I certainly hope they are and it is possible I guess. But the only realistic way I can see of testing the waters is a downloadable Shenmue re-release.

This may be reasonable, but do you expect them to announce their plans ahead of time to appease a few fans?

Maybe not, and Shenmue HD could possibly in development right now for all I know (I certainly hope so!). But to be on the safe side, I'd rather keep the campaign going until they do officially announce it, or else we could be waiting hopefully for another decade.

Shit.

Next gen launch release11!11!1!11

In what would be a worrying sign of their own fortunes, what if it was a WiiU exclusive? Those worries of it 'doing a Dreamcast' wouldn't be so misplaced.

GabeN should make sure it's a launch title for the steambox, E3 show video has a great big 3 come up and everyone wets themselves and then it's actually Shenmue and not HL and everyone gets real confused.

• 1 month later...

Just release a bloody graphic novel, youtube video, or hell a script and end this nonsense. The only way we'd get Shenmue 3 without an astronomical budget is if they just did a reskin using the Yazuka engine, and if they were going to do that, they would've done it many years before now. There's more chance of a Binary Domain 2 than a Shenmue 3 which basically means, absolutely fuck all nothing.

edit: don't know why that's not working, but here's a translation of that tweet from a french journalist:

Yu Suzuki just said he is thinking about kickstarter to fund Shenmue 3 development #MAGS

https://twitter.com/SAbdelhamid

the Tweetathon also happens to be today, folks. Feel free to unleash #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense hashtag hell!

:)

Gee, that unsourced tweet from someone nobody's heard of sure has me convinced.

What a truly horrific topic this is, Full of bitter killjoys with all of the imagination of BBC daytime TV scheduling.

If people are that bothered by what the general public think and using that as some kind of validity measure then I sincerly hope you all enjoy your X-Factor and Karaoke videogames.

You genuinely wouldn't think this was a site for people to be enthusiastic about videogames.

What a truly horrific topic this is, Full of bitter killjoys with all of the imagination of BBC daytime TV scheduling.

If people are that bothered by what the general public think and using that as some kind of validity measure then I sincerly hope you all enjoy your X-Factor and Karaoke videogames.

You genuinely wouldn't think this was a site for people to be enthusiastic about videogames.

It is a horrid topic, but not for the reasons you suggest.

K has hit the nail on the head, and no amount of 'but they could do...' 'if we could...' etc will fix the issue at the core of the problem. The sooner more people realise what a complete financial disaster the original games were and move on, the better. It has nothing to do with anything other than Shenmue's own history. In many ways it's the gravestone that marked the death of the old Sega more than the Dreamcast was. The Dreamcast was a victim of competition and Sega's own history, Shenmue was a money pit for it's creator's fantasies that almost took the whole company with it.

@ Spacehost

That's from the guy that runs Shenmue Master, he interviewed Yu earlier in the day I believe. But I do agree, we don't know in what context Yu made that comment, so I'm awaiting the full interview before I get too carried away. But Team Yu has always operated on the belief that if the opportunity came up, Yu wouldn't be too proud to take advantage of crowd funding schemes like kickstarter if need be. So it's a promising tid bit, hopefully we'll get some elaboration on it soon.

GAF is going mental over this. Then someone said the quote actually was that Suzuki wanted to do a Kickstarter-like crowdfunding source so he could continue the Shenmue series with manga and anime.

Still crazy though.

GAF is going mental over this. Then someone said the quote actually was that Suzuki wanted to do a Kickstarter-like crowdfunding source so he could continue the Shenmue series with manga and anime.

Still crazy though.

From the information we currently have (two out of context references on a twitter account). They are two separate statements, one was along the lines of "Yu Suzuki said he is thinking about using a crowd funding scheme like kicktstarter to fund Shenmue 3", the other was "Yu Suzuki would like to continue the Shenmue adventure in anime or manga form"

Those are all we have to go on right now, until the full interview arrives.