Mike Singleton RIP

Goose

That's proper gutting, I fucking loved the Lords of Midnight games. I must have spent hundreds of hours playing them. I still fire up the PC remakes every now and then to have a quick play.

They were so far ahead of heir time it was frightening. Midwinter and its sequel were great as well, though I wasn't as keen on Starlord.

A real loss.

I remember reading his fantastic (although sometines dreadfully edited and laid out) 5th Column in C&VG.

Because of lack of money and the sub-standard distribution of computer games back in the 80's I didn't get to play Lords of Midnight on my C64 until it was a cover mount probably about six years after it was originally published.

Even then it's scope was amazing at the time.

Too young.

No third part of the Lords of Midnight trilogy- the news is pretty sad. Must have been tough over the past 12 months if he had to get his jaw removed. Terrible news. Hopefully we can get a retro gamer special in his honour- he did some amazing games.

Should this be moved to the general forum? I'm sure more people should know....

I'd forgotten that he was also responsible for War in Middle Earth (a great game, even on the Speccy) and the Midwinter games on the Amiga. I remember being amazed at how open Midwinter was- you could go anywhere.. it did mean that you often didn't know what you were supposed to be doing- but that was part of the fun...

Ah, man, there goes another chunk of my childhood - I bought and played Lords of Midnight, DoomDark's Revenge, Dark Sceptre, Midwinter, War in Middle Earth (protip: ignore the war and just take the ring to Mordor) and Carrier Command on my Speccy and ST. Still have them all in a box somewhere.

Skiing down a mountain in Midwinter, shifting to the sniper rifle, then hang-gliding off - decades ahead of its time (protip: ignore the war and just take the ring to Mordor fly the dynamite to the target's base).

[Edit: and another comment on RPS confirmed a suspicion of mine that Carrier Command wasn't one of his. Although there may have been a protip to 'ignore the war and just take the ring to Mordor steam towards the enemy carrier')]

I was always shit at Lords of Midnight. But I remember the one victory I had. Keeping the evil armies occupied in the central plains while one lone boy snuck slowly across the north western ranges with a small ring. Dodging goblins, dragons, ogres and wolves he finally managed to cast the Ice Crown into the volcano leading to the overthrow of the dark forces.

28 years ago Lords of Midnight was written. Amazing stuff.

lords.jpg

Image from RPS obit page http://www.rockpaper...mike-singleton/

Edited by tssk