rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Droo

Good Boardgames - to have for the flat.

A bit of a list thread. We currently don't have a single one, and we feel like we're missing out as some night's we'll just sit a bit bored after work.

I'm thinking a bit more adventurous than the likes of Scrabble (which my missus hates, cause I beat her) or Monopoly.

Thinking of games which last between 45 minutes and 2 hours.

Are you thinking just boardgames specifically? Or maybe card/dice games too?

I'll recommend Summoner Wars, Quarriors (dice game) and Gosu (card game) as my favourites. They're fun, not too complicated to play or learn and don't take too long :)

I'm really looking for anything really.

Just fun games that are not impossible to learn.

Although I can play Carcassonne, how hard is the actual game over the computerised version?

If you're going to struggle to get people to learn Carcasonne you may as well stick to fucking Draughts.

Pick up the Monopoly Deal card game, it's good.

Small World takes a little learning, but you can break it down as "RISK but not dull and over in about 45 minutes"

Dominion is easy to pick up and learn, and works really well in 3+ players.

If you can get Dominion, get Quarriors. Throwaway and daft, but incredibly entertaining.

Also, pick up a Fluxx in the flavour of your choosing. It's completely random, but only hated by people who take their games too seriously and are fucking stick in the muds. You heard.

Lastly, I have Dixit but never played it but I am told it's an amazing experience if you have 3+ players to play it.

• Upvote 2

I'm really looking for anything really.

Just fun games that are not impossible to learn.

Although I can play Carcassonne, how hard is the actual game over the computerised version?

Carcass one is fine - the scoring is the tricky bit and the element that the computerised version does is restrict you to place tiles only where you can. A key element in the physical game is that you do this through talking, increasing the interaction between players.

Ticket To Ride is a favourite here, but you will want to get both the standard box (recommend Europe) and the India expansion, which makes 2 player games a tad more interesting. The standard box is good, but doesn't lead to much competition when there's only 2 playing.

Forbidden Island is another great game - and cheap too - and actually acts as an introduction to the more complex and challenging Pandemic and Flashpoint.

There are a raft of Living Card Games worth investigating. An LCG is like a deck builder but without all this collectible nonsense - you buy one big box of cards and have your fun with them. Game Of Thrones, Lord Of The Rings, Warhammer Invasion and Netrunner all have good reputations. They are more complex, but a nice change.

Castle Panic is good, but I'm not sure it's a great 2 player game for adults either thematically or functionally. I need to get the add on and try it with that.

• Upvote 1

Lastly, I have Dixit but never played it but I am told it's an amazing experience if you have 3+ players to play it.

I'd say it works with three players but it's far better with more, mate.

The above sounds about right. But I'd add...

Flash Point : Fire Rescue - Lovely co-op game. Rules seem obvious. But if playing with 2 players I'd recommend you play 4 player and alternate between two.

Saboteur - Fantastic traitor game. Again, easy to pick up. You just working together building tunnels by placing cards to get to some treasure...except some git is trying to veer you off course slyly. (3+ players though)

Tales of the Arabian Nights - A bit of a random pick this one. Hardly a game and pushing a bit far away from the scrabble/monopoly too much. You just go around a board, pick up cards and read some of a story from a book (a bit choose your own adventure but with little control over it). I pick this because my missus loves it because it doesn't really matter if you win or lose and that was kind of in the brief.

But if you're going to get anything...get Ticket To Ride first (TtR: Europe, ideally)

Yet another shout for Carcassonne, i've got most people I know playing (and enjoying) it with ease.

Picked up Zombie dice last week which is quite a fun little 5 minute game to play.

I understand that it gets some negative press, but Lords of Waterdeep arrived at my house yesterday and I think it's very good fun. It's a very simple-to-teach euro style game but the strategy options are vast and varied. Even as a 2er it plays well and takes about an hour. Thumbs up from me.

The Resistance is great if you have around 5 people or more and about half an hour spare.

Is it worth playing with four, or is that just not enough to not figure out too easily who everyone is? Is it a bit like Bang! with how the players are assigned secret roles?

Is it worth playing with four, or is that just not enough to not figure out too easily who everyone is? Is it a bit like Bang! with how the players are assigned secret roles?

I'm not sure it can be played with four. Maybe you'd only have 1 resistance member. Could work I guess.. although probably wouldn't be as good.

I can be played with four, but I think you need at least six to make it work. And yep, roles are assigned secretly in Resistance too.

Sorry, I probably phrased that wrong. I know you get assigned secret roles, and I just wondered if as Bang! uses a similar mechanic, do they play much the same? Are they different enough to warrant owning both?