IGNORED

Chivalry: Medieval Waaaaaaaughfare

BrerLappin

I'm actually pretty good at not tking now! Just stand back a bit and look intimidating and you help your teammate by forcing the player to think about you, without having to risk taking off someone's arm. I think I only had one or two in that game :lol:

The bit where a whole load of us were pushing the ram and screaming only to be hit by a projectile from a catapult was rather amusing.

I survived the catapult but almost got killed cause i was laughing so hard, the guy in front of me took a direct hit from it and got blasted right over my head :lol:

Another comedy gold moment was when i managed to kill mr woo and some randomer with one swing after doing a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauggggg charge attack into a mill of people :lol: Or when woo had me stuck up against the ram and the castle walls and stabbed me in the guts...i didnt realise you cant swing a longsword if its clanking off the walls

But yeah i got slightly better at not TKing too, just by calming down a bit and not swinging wildly. The combo is pretty much essential. I almost killed 3 people in a 3 on 1 fight, i killed the first 2, then fighting the remaining guy i had him on the ropes when he just turned and ran, and i got stabbed in the back chasing him!

:D

I thought you were on my friends list deerokus but you weren't so I've added you. So if you've got a friend invitation from a stranger it's just me!

Cool! I haven't tended to play much in the way of multiplayer since I converted to PC gaming, so my friend list is pathetic!

I think we're friends on Xbox Live but that is basically just the machine I use to play Walking Dead and watch Netflix now :(.

like dayz this is one of those games that comes out of nowhere and is so amazing it spreads like wildfire.

Can't wait to get online with this

Ditto. I'm going to be archering it up tonight, I reckon.

RPS' review is spot on http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/25/wot-i-think-chivalry-medieval-warfare/#more-129259

You load the game, you scan a server list, you kill and you die. I actually found the lack of anything else except maps, servers and combat quite liberating. There are weapon and equipment unlocks earned by playing the four classes over time, but the base weapons are more than capable of getting the job done and nobody ever seems particularly advantaged. Or at least not simply by their equipment – a knight against a man-at-arms must be careful, timing his slow swings well as the nimble opponent dodges and blocks, cutting and stabbing. It’s a skill-based game, a melee Unreal Tournament, and in that sense it feels old-fashioned like a damn good cocktail rather than a limited throwback.

Thats a good write up from RPS :D

Had a quick blast last night, did really well and at one point had 10 kills 3 deaths! Best part of the night was charging to the bridge on that map where you have to push the battering ram and kill the king, there were 2 guys there and one of them had just killed a teammate, so it was 2 vs me, i managed to beat both of them, and im standing there triumphant, mashing the scream key, glorious in victory when out of fucking nowhere, bang, sword through the back :lol:

Some epic moments last night. Like successfully blocking attacks from two knights at once before killing them with my pointy stick. Best competitive multiplayer in ages.

I honestly havent enjoyed competitive MP in so long. I got sick to death of MP games a long ass time ago, so much so i only really play coop games like Killing Floor now, but this really has lit a fire under my balls, in a good way.

The archery is bloody difficult. I had a magnificent duck-around-corner, see Mason scum, put arrow directly into his throat from 30 yards away moment and managed a few other kills, but it's incredibly hard. I might try a crossbow, but that's a bit dirty-French for my liking.

Bow and Arrow is very tough. Only use I've found is for taking out other archers at open windows in the castle, which can actually be quite helpful during a siege. Guy last night on the crossbow was absolutely lethal though.

It's even more susceptible to lag as well, which doesn't help. Plus the fact everything is so hilly means you can't really find your range consistently, which again doesn't help. I think I'll stick with it for a bit at least, see if I can get better at it.

Your progress wasn't wiped - for some reason the unlock progress is saved locally (and there's no steam cloud support). I would assume you can transfer your save?

Late with a reply but i haven't had chance to get on this week until last night. My progress had been wiped on my home version, i can only think it was me installing it at work but i've seen a couple of posts on their forums about progress not been saved so i'm wondering if it was a glitch. Not a huge problem, more of an annoyance really.

Had an afternoon of (mainly dying) fun, tho i still can't seem to get the hang of things.

Archery is some kind of voodoo; out of 100 arrows i must have hit about 4 times, killing 1 guy and that was because he was only 10 foot away.

I've tried playing in 3rd person with melee, i was wondering if i was getting too close with my 2 handers and that was why i was loosing so many 1-on-1's with people. Whilst i think it helped a little, becasue the camera is fixed, it left me a little disorientated. I just can't seem to time my attacks properly and get my foot work right, the amount of times i missed and left myself exposed it beyond a joke, yet no one else seems to do it quite so much as me. :blush::lol:

I've been mainly playing Team Objective and Free for All since i really don't like how the Team Deatchmatch and Last Team Standing work with resources and spawning.

Team Objective is weird to play, some of the objectives seem incredibly hard to achieve and definately require team work which i suppose is the point but on random, public servers its almost impossible to get any coherence. They've implemented an auto-balance feature but i have no idea what it does.

Free for All is bedlam personified although i did join a server where the 'rules' were for people to engage in 1-on1 duels. This was really quite good and worked well, perhaps they could some how do duels as a game mode, not sure how it would work server wise mind. Otherwise you generally pick a group fighting and wade in, killing of the weakest until you take some hits and you become the weakest. Good for unocking weapons tho.

I was getting a bit better with the bow, whilst not really improving the number of kills I was picking up more assists and my damage given/taken ratio was getting closer (still massively negative, mind). Being a man-at-arms with a shield is infinitely easier if you're aware of your surroundings though.

I'm loving this at the moment. There is a lot of depth to the system although you find that a lot of players clearly only care about their K/D ratio and not the team objectives, it can get frustrating. I just did the one with the battering ram and I seemed to be the only person actually bothering with it! There were normally 5 knights surrounding it and the rest of my team were all just archers taking pot shots at a distance. anyway.. still good fun

My nemesis is (seemingly ANY) archer who puts his bow down and fights with the little sword. in a 1v1 I always lose. Likewise though I also fare quite well as an archer with a little sword, even against a full-health knight. I guess the speed of the attacks is what does it, as long as you can block accurately.

My current strategy is to shield bash and as soon as I know it's worked I do a double swing. Usually enough for an instakill.

Excellent screenshot Brer!!!!

Yeah, i've found those that have faster weapons can seemingly easily kill me as a Knight or any other class, partly cos i'm rubbish but also when you take damge it stops your attack and you play a little 'damage taken' anim which by the time your ready to block/attack again means your opponent, with his fast weapon, is landing another blow and the cycle repeats until i die. I've been on the end of quite a few guys widely swinging their mace/hammer/dagger around and getting cut to shreds/pummelled to death without even landing a blow of my own.

free for all is surprisingly great fun. Stealing a guy's kill then killing him too \o/

I really don't think that works as a game type, the FFA servers get really tedious really quickly. But when it just pops up as a gametype inbetween Team Objective games it is really good fun - great practice for an archer, the peak of kill stealing is doing it from 300 yards away.

EDIT: It really needs a "longest kill" stat. I did one from miles away the other day.

I'm getting a bit better at it, but I was in a match against an archer the other day who was amazing. He finished with the most kills by miles in a Team Objective game and incredibly annoyingly he was even doing it in the right spot, covering people pushing the body cart rather than just going for kills.

• 2 weeks later...

Having stuck with my archering ways, and seemingly getting a bit worse, I decided to do some FFA. I did two rounds and managed 6 kills between them. Switched to a knight, did 5 rounds and scored about 70 kills, including a couple of second places and a positive K/D ratio in all but one.

I'm actually quite annoyed by this. I'm not that bad as an archer!

Ive honestly not even bothered playing as an archer once :lol:

Vanguard with a zweihander for pretty much 99% of the time. Just had a good game there on my lunchbreak, except for when i was on the agatha team defending the filthy peasants, and with one minute left we had it won, they hadnt even managed to kill all the peasants, and the game switched me to the losing side right at the end :(

Try it. It's basically impossible, I've decided.

The latest trend seems to be running around like a nutcase with a one handed axe. It's pretty difficult to defend against, as they dodge behind and around you, but one solid block followed by a nice sweep of a sword to chop their heads off is extremely satisfying.

I get loads of kills when playing as an archer... with my sword! It's bizarre, I manage like a single kill with an arrow, my victim gets pissed, spawns with a mate and they come after me, I panic, switch to sword, parry and kill them both. Feel cocky, get killed.

This only works once per evening for some reason.

• 2 months later...

Got this for the free trial till sunday, probably end up buying it, it's just so much fun.

FOR AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaA