IGNORED

Chivalry: Medieval Waaaaaaaughfare

BrerLappin

It's where we all start out....

And then you realise, wait, that vanguard that keeps cutting my head off....

Level 50.

Archer when it's going a bit wrong. But I also move across the classes as the map develops as some abilities lend themselves better than others. The end of dark forest defending? Guardian with a fucking big hammer. Tournament grounds? Vanguard with an executioners axe or raider with gliave or messer.

Probably need to work on my ambusher and footman ranks. The skirmisher is also intersting when you nail someone with a javelin.

Absolute scenes last night. I joined @Junker for a session on the new maps. Galencourt is fantastic, we managed to get the ships mast's blown up and then the next objective of clearing the barricade and blowing 2 sets of doors up. I managed to time a run to perfection with a powder keg and was swiftly followed by a couple of others. Having vapourised the first door, a fairly robust defense was mounted at the second. My fuck, what a bloodbath! I've never seen anything like that before and I've played a few quite a few rounds at the fall of Lionspire, where more often than not the bridge being held or lost holds the key to the game.

Proper mental, and that was before the masons and agathians tried to form a band in Courtyard.

It’s a wild ride. Gradually getting incrementally better, found a weapon in the polehammer that I can judge the timing on. Still not got the timing of parries and block counters right but even running round throwing cabbages and killing monks with a candelabra is keeping me amused. 
 Probably my biggest surprise game of the year. 
 Watching @marsh go charging into the fray with a wagon wheel while shouting obscenities was a sight to behold 

I think it was mentioned in this thread as to why this isn't more popular. The reason I've come up with is that it just isn't very forgiving. Join a game of 1v1, get a couple of kills in the opening round, think the world is great. Die. Re-spawn slap bang in the middle of a fight, die. Spawn away from other players in the next life, run towards the action, a player spawns behind you in the direction you are headed, die before you even get to take a swing. That happens quite a bit.

So you play the maps, have generally no fucking clue what's going on, I still don't know how the point scoring works. Last night I actually came out on top in a round. This was in part to getting a 4 or 5 player kill with a trebuchet. I then assembled three ladders (worth 250 points a piece) before laying siege to Rudhelm. At this point I was so far ahead on points the guy in second place barely had a chance to catch me and I'd only really killed a few other players.

What I have noticed is that a vanguard running round the flanks and striking from the rear will easily one hit kill an archer.

I saw a guy hiding just inside the door of the castle so I tried to bait him out by dancing and shouting obscenities. He stood in the doorway and threw a knife at me, so I threw my axe at him, he dodged and I killed a teammate who was trying to sneak up behind him. He then hacked me down with a candelabra. The best.

I got this game for £28 2nd hand on eBay, and it’s my favourite game right now. I’m not even any good at it!

Me and @marsh are having so much fun, if there were a few of us partied up it would be amazing. Imagine if ‘For Honor’ was good?! 

10 hours ago, Junker said:

I got this game for £28 2nd hand on eBay, and it’s my favourite game right now. I’m not even any good at it!

Me and @marsh are having so much fun, if there were a few of us partied up it would be amazing. Imagine if ‘For Honor’ was good?! 

I think a 'Battle of Courtyard' video next time we're on could persuade a few people? In fact any of the small maps should be enough to entice a few more players into the fray. I don't stay up late for anything other than racing, sex and this. So it must be decent.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New update for this if anyone was looking for some new content.

Basically it's a pub brawl over what is usually the pronunciation of 'trebuchet'

It's fucking nuts.

There's also a 'last team standing' mode, some Halloween bollocksey bits, a few new weapons, and a number of new skins.

Managed a number of second places in the brawl, there's a lot to be said for killing someone with an anvil, or a ships anchor.

11 hours ago, marsh said:

New update for this if anyone was looking for some new content.

Basically it's a pub brawl over what is usually the pronunciation of 'trebuchet'

It's fucking nuts.

There's also a 'last team standing' mode, some Halloween bollocksey bits, a few new weapons, and a number of new skins.

Managed a number of second places in the brawl, there's a lot to be said for killing someone with an anvil, or a ships anchor.

Oki saw the update last night, I’ll see you in n the battlefield as I’m going back in

The brawl is spectacularly hard. You can immediately spawn and get battered with a frying pan, branding iron, glass bottle, loaf of bread, an oar or broomstick. A stupid amount of luck involved when you stand there armed with nothing more than a sausage.

The environments they've picked are really tight too. It's not like there's anywhere for any respite.

It reminds me of one of those fights from 'bottom'

1 hour ago, marsh said:

The brawl is spectacularly hard. You can immediately spawn and get battered with a frying pan, branding iron, glass bottle, loaf of bread, an oar or broomstick. A stupid amount of luck involved when you stand there armed with nothing more than a sausage.

The environments they've picked are really tight too. It's not like there's anywhere for any respite.

It reminds me of one of those fights from 'bottom'

Sold 

New maps and game types are the most frustrating events on the planet. I wanted to throw my controller to the moon earlier on. Leading a game, 20 seconds left, some cunt rings the doorbell.

I'm dead and waiting to spawn. As quickly as I deal with the delivery, it's game over and I'm second. Again.

I fucking hate it.

Can't stop playing.

And just like that, after more second places than I care to mention, I've won two rounds of brawl.

You have to make a beeline for the oar, a chair, the candelabra, a recorder, the broomstick, or the frying pan. If you spawn with nothing or even worse, clutching a sausage, you are fucked.

Probably some school kids sobbing at losing somewhere right now. I feel great!

This still delivers by the bucket load. Started playing a bit of 3v3, the matchmaking is sort of random. Sometimes you'll join a lobby with 3 players in it so it's 3 vs 1 or 3 vs 2 and the match is already underway. So it's still a bit janky in places. There does seem to be a code of honor in this in that you don't get involved in a misstmatch unless your outnumbered opponent manages to kill a player and level things up. Many times I've played where we just stand and watch and wait for an outcome. There's no written rule, it just happens.

Anyway, little clip pinched from last night, best watched from around 3 minutes. Personally, despite the plea for mercy, I think we should have killed him with horse poo.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, Retroguy said:

Bought this for like £13 on Amazon the other day so looking forward to diving in over Christmas- I’m guessing the online community is still fairly active?

Yep, played in plenty of full lobbies recently.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I’m in. And dead, lots.

I even sucked at the “beginner” mode with lots of bots. The other non-bot guy on the other side had more than 10x my kills… Had fun with the massive crossbow though.

I think the funniest bit was getting shoved into a fire pit, and then actually getting killed by someone launching their shield at my head before I had chance to burn to death. Savage.

A new kind of MNRC after party, @marsh @Junker ?

2 hours ago, Fretnoise said:

Ok, I’m in. And dead, lots.

I even sucked at the “beginner” mode with lots of bots. The other non-bot guy on the other side had more than 10x my kills… Had fun with the massive crossbow though.

I think the funniest bit was getting shoved into a fire pit, and then actually getting killed by someone launching their shield at my head before I had chance to burn to death. Savage.

A new kind of MNRC after party, @marsh @Junker ?

I'm in! now I just need to make a MNRC......

In other news I've found the war axe, and oh my days what a thing that is. Wade into a crowd with that  swinging and there's a whole cluster of people heading to destination fucked. Brutal.

Still enjoy a pile of verbal abuse hurled at other players in this, and it's 'trey-bu-shay!'

Autobalance needs to fuck right off. That's far too late in the game to be going 'oh, the sides are a bit out, we better dump you on the losing side'

Happens far too much and coxwell is the worst map in the entire game. I've been on the peasants winning side about twice. Man did I swear earlier.