rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
LaParka

Wargaming

Does anyone play wargames that isn't Warhammer/Warmachine?

I keep flirting with the idea of playing Flames of War (15mm WWII). The new starter set is making it hard to resist.

I think what it boils down to is I consider Warhammer/machine 'power gaming'. Where lists are tweaked to get the most competitive edge.

I'm not competitive enough to play tournaments.

Plus I want to try historical settings. Theres a skirmish game set in the dark ages called SAGA which uses dice to generate options.

Too Fat Lardies have a ruleset for the American civil war. Plus you can get 45 multipart 28mm figs for £18 from the Perry brothers.

Sorry its a bit rambly, i've written this on my phone. I've decided I am buying the FoW starter tomorrow....

Any game played in a tournament setting will get powergamed - its more about who you play against and where you play than the game itself.

I've been thinking of starting up flames of war (it's a popular system), but for now, I think I've got enough going on with 40k and X-wing...

Yeah, tournaments do that. I used to go to a place in Chester for Warmachine. Haven't been for a while due to life. Now they are all really friendly and helpful but they play to a high tournent standard. One false move and you're mullered.

The local wargame store is opening up a club section in a few months. Hoping to get more casual games in. Especially of FoW.

Lurking on warseer for a couple of years has put me off ever going into gw for a game and not having any friends into this type of thing means I haven't played since 2nd ed 40k. Maybe with the hobbit there will be more casual players looking for the old sbg scenario/narrative style games rather than pitched battles.

As for other systems I've heard good things about the black powder rule set in that it takes a very relaxed attitude to gaming and even though I know very little about history I would like to paint up a Napoleonic era army at some point. But then I'd probably offend my opponents by turning up with French dudes in teal coloured jackets.

Although you seem to need buckets of figures for historical games (curse of infantry lines) the prices are bonkers compared to GW etc. Perry have a Napoleon infantry box. 45 multi-pose figures, with alternate hats and a two page painting guide. For £18.

Picked up the FoW set yesterday and the amount of stuff you get is plain rude. Slightly daunted by the size of the soldiers but i'm going to be disciplined. I'm usually glue everything in one go, then prime etc and burn out half way for a couple of months. I'm only taking off the sprue a small amount, and not moving on until those are painted. I've set myself a time frame too. See if I stick to it. And i'm not allowing myself to buy anything until the box is done. :omg:

Yeah, hinges were a bitch to figure out. We've got decent sized strapping hinges which are going to go on the outside frame, bolted on all the way through the 4" wood for support. That way the playing surface is untouched. Plus because I want it to shut flush i'll have to sink them in so nothing will stick out. Lot of work involved :blah:

I'm going to stick on a large sheet of Woodland Scenics grass and then just make some modular hills. Friends got the GW gaming table (6 gaming tiles which clip together) so thats going to be used as well.

Including the roll of turf its probably cost nigh on £70 :omg:

I've dabbled a little with Infinity and I like it a lot, although obviously it's hardly the historic simulation that you're looking for! The best thing I can suggest is to get yourself down to a wargaming show - all the ones I attend in the Midlands area are surprisingly light on Games Workshop and nothing at all from Privateer Press; instead they've got loads of the historical stuff, with plenty of intro games being run by terrifying (but cheerful) men with beards.

There was a game at the last one I went too based on the African WW2 campaign, and it was using spray coloured long-stranded carpet to simulate the wide open terrain. Didn't get a chance to play a game, but it looked stunning. I fact, now I think about it, as luck would have it, my friend took a picture:-

b2Aat.jpg?1

There was another awesome one where they were doing a Pacific campaign sea battle, but with a single huge battleship (it must have been 4 feet long, scratch built) and planes of the same scale. Idiotically, I didn't get any pictures of that. But yeah, the place to see stuff is to go to shows.

• Upvote 2