rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Treble

The Conquered Heart - my concept for a game

So after getting inspiration from a fictional game that had bare bones description but sounded cool, I decided to make it a reality…

It's a short two-player game that's a mix of Chess, Draughts that sort of thing, but with huge elements of luck involved along with a light element of strategy. Random chance is dictated by 1d6 at the moment, but it'd be better to have little spinner things for some aspects of the game.

As with all games, the instructions make it sound much more complex than it is – it’s actually a doddle to understand and play.

So, in brief: The game’s played on a 10x4 (40 hex) grid, with each player having 8 soldier pieces (I’ve used Meeple for now) and one ‘Heart’ piece.

IN ‘THE BOX’: 1 x hex grid, 1d6, 16 x Meeple, 2 x heart counters

PLAY TIME: 10-20 minutes

CH_Setup.jpg

THE AIM: is to get your Heart piece to your opponent’s Home hex, either by moving to that space or by doing a ‘WINNING ROLL’ (see further on). This is the only way to win the game.

BASIC PLAY: Place your heart piece on your home hex (fourth hex in from the left, which you’ll want to mark). Each round, you get 2 moves: a Meeple move and a heart move.

Firstly, roll the die. Select ANY one of your Meeple and move it as indicated on the die. You cannot touch the same hex tile twice, you can’t land on an occupied square and you can’t land on either of the Heart squares.

If you are next to an opponent’s (Merson / Meepleton ???) piece (excluding their heart) you can attempt to capture them. Roll 1d6:

1-3: MINED! You stepped on a mine and the opponent takes your piece.

4+5: Capture! You take the opponent’s piece you are next to.

6: DOUBLE CAPTURE! You take up to two of your opponent’s pieces if they are on connecting hex.

CH_Play1.jpg

CH_Play2.jpg

Irrespective of the outcome, you can then move your heart piece 1 hex in any direction if you wish. If you land next to your opponent’s heart piece, you can move onto their hex and ‘knock’ them back to their home hex.

COLLECT 5 OPPONENT PIECES: if and when you capture 5 of your opponent’s Meeple, you MUST ‘spend’ them and attempt a ‘WINNING ROLL’.

Give the 5 pieces back to your opponent, who arranges them in any spare spaces as per setup. Now, roll the die: on a 6 ONLY you transport to the opponent’s home hex and have won the game. If you roll 1-5, you fail and have to go back to your home hex.

EXTRA MINES! Each player gets 1 mine token. For the prototype, simply use a piece of paper and write down the number of any hex on the board: this is mined. If you land on this, nothing happens. If your opponent’s Merson lands on it, that piece is taken by you. If their Heart piece lands on your mine, it is blasted back to its home hex.

TYPICAL GAME: you want to capture as many of your opponent’s Meeple as possible and retain yours. As such, placing your Meeple Merson next to TWO opponent Meeple can yield the biggest capture and should always be attempted if poss.

As you can’t move your heart piece through any of your opponent’s pieces, making sure you deploy your Meeple so the route to your home hex is blocked should be a priority. Strategy comes into play there because, if you leave you Meeple ‘guarding’ your home hex, your heart piece can’t move forward (or has to take the long way around).

Place your mine so that, if the heart gets through your ‘lines’ he’ll get knocked back. The mine only works once per game through, bear in mind. Also, if you leave an obvious gap, your opponent will guess that’s the route via the mine!

You can also aim to get your heart piece next to your opponent’s and knock it back home, although this is riskier strategy. However, if your opponent’s getting close to your home hex you can certainly try it.

You are just as likely to lose a Meeple piece to a land mine as you are to capturing one (or two) so there should be lots of switching back and forth of captured pieces. As you have to give them back when spent, you can never end up with no Meeple (and no hope!)

So there you go – feel free to print off the hex grid from here, use anything you like as pieces and have a go. Questions very much welcome.

• Upvote 5