Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Captain Kelsten

Not this again :) These films are about the Skywalkers, yeah, and these sequels will be too. That may include revisiting locations from the previous films at some point, and I'm absolutely fine with that.

Believe me, eventually there'll be no shortage of films about other, currently unknown characters in the universe (it's Disney FFS). But while Harrison Ford's still got it, let's have these first.

Well despite all the cynicism I intend to stay positive and be excited until proven wrong. Whether the film as a whole is garbage no one can deny what an amazing thrill it's going to be seeing the original cast reprise their roles.

Worst case scenario I get 18 months more of being excited and really looking forward to this with a couple of hours let down at the end.

Jedi Master Luke Skywalker returns to the frozen tundra of Hoth upon learning that Jedi Master Mace Windu through intense force concentration had hidden himself away by transforming into a snow beast. The very same snow beast that tried to eat him. Also the blown up probe droid is his long lost cousin or some shit.

Well despite all the cynicism I intend to stay positive and be excited until proven wrong. Whether the film as a whole is garbage no one can deny what an amazing thrill it's going to be seeing the original cast reprise their roles.

Worst case scenario I get 18 months more of being excited and really looking forward to this with a couple of hours let down at the end.

Not if the prequels are anything to go by. I guess that's people's worry.

As for the new films, I do get the anxiety over going back again, but it's pointless fretting over it now when we have absolutely no idea of the extent to which these planets will feature, why they're featuring, or even (bar Tatooine it seems) which planets we'll be returning to. I can think of a hundred logical and satisfying reasons for Luke or Han to need to return to Tatooine one more time - even Hoth (which I haven't seen confirmed as appearing anywhere, although I would like it to) would make sense if they or the Empire left something vital behind and they needed to go back and pick it up. Let's just wait and see, shall we, before we all go uuurrghing everything.

The worry is that the films are once again obsessing over the details like Lucas did in the prequels. Like Star Wars is a collection of building blocks and all you need to do is reassemble them in the right way to get a good movie.

Did you see Star Trek Into Darkness? It was awful, but Abrams and his hack writers thought they were making something marvellously clever because they deconstructed a brilliant movie and put it back together again while forgetting what made the original so great. Like if Frankenstein built his creature then failed to animate it. That won't make a Star Wars movie, that'd make Weekend at Bernie's.

Personally if I was charged with making a new Star Wars movie I'd look at what I needed to keep for it to be superficially Star Wars and challenge myself to keep those features down to the bare minimum and focus on what really made Star Wars. The adventure, the action, the straightforward morality of good vs evil. It'd be in space and that's about it. If there was a lightsaber it might be shown in a couple of scenes and used in no more than one.

It isn't that you can't make a good one while keeping all the baggage from the previous ten hours of films, but by being strict you force yourself to be creative and imaginative and because you'll own what you're making it will have passion behind it. That's a lot more likely to make a good movie.

The worry is that the films are once again obsessing over the details like Lucas did in the prequels. Like Star Wars is a collection of building blocks and all you need to do is reassemble them in the right way to get a good movie.

Did you see Star Trek Into Darkness? It was awful, but Abrams and his hack writers thought they were making something marvellously clever because they deconstructed a brilliant movie and put it back together again while forgetting what made the original so great. Like if Frankenstein built his creature then failed to animate it. That won't make a Star Wars movie, that'd make Weekend at Bernie's.

Personally if I was charged with making a new Star Wars movie I'd look at what I needed to keep for it to be superficially Star Wars and challenge myself to keep those features down to the bare minimum and focus on what really made Star Wars. The adventure, the action, the straightforward morality of good vs evil. It'd be in space and that's about it. If there was a lightsaber it might be shown in a couple of scenes and used in no more than one.

It isn't that you can't make a good one while keeping all the baggage from the previous ten hours of films, but by being strict you force yourself to be creative and imaginative and because you'll own what you're making it will have passion behind it. That's a lot more likely to make a good movie.

All good points, but as I said, let's all just wait and see what happens before writing off the film eighteen months before it opens.

How long does it take to recharge the super laser? What's the range? They didn't want to give the rebels a chance to escape.

i) Leia knows they're being followed, if it were really feasible they'd have evacuated as soon as the Falcon reached Yavin or just gone somewhere else entirely and messaged them about what was going on;

ii) Given they spend 20 years building the thing then manage to get a second one's main cannon operational four years later, range and recharging clearly isn't much of an issue given that the one in RotJ is happily blowing its load every couple of minutes.

In short: Tarkin fucked up, yo.

I'm just joshing, I don't actually think it's an issue, my point is more that if you apply the same ruthless nitpicking nerd lens of spergelording bullshit to all films - and not just modern ones - people might realise that logic gaps, plot holes, dumb decisions, bad writing et al were just as common then as they are today so it's rather disingenuous to tear films apart today while also acting like the stuff we grew up with were shining paragons of cinematic perfection.

"these blast points, too accurate for Sandpeople. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise"

And they spend the rest of the saga not being able to hit a barn door at 5 paces.

maybe They were clones of Greedo

I hope that at some point in the future, Lucas buys back the rights from Disney just to digitally remove the lens flare from the new films.

I really doubt that he'll be using lens flares for Star Wars. It's not as if they're an essential directorial trademark, like a John Woo dove or a Hitchcock cameo - lens flares weren't an issue in Mission Impossible 3, were they?

... No, I bet wipe transitions will be the thing he'll go overboard with this time!