IGNORED

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Doctor Shark

The original cards were just shots of the movies.

Yeah I would expect that and you've got the whole film to pick from, but to pick them exclusively from the few seconds of footage in the trailer looked like they were put together by what was available rather than intentional choices from the film. But that I guess depends on how intentional the footage from the trailer was or if it was put together out of footage that was just ready, as some people have suggested.

Edit: At least that's the impression I got from them. I saw them and thought a fan had taken screen shots from the trailer and run them through a nostalgia machine.

Not sure about the faux-aging scuffs and scratches on those new bubblegum card knock-ups, but I'll try and save the "trading on nostalgia" nit-picking for the film itself. Pretty shitty omen! I get that it's just a bit of fun, however.

I agree, but there's hope in the fact that the marketing department and the people who made the film aren't the same people.

I'm sensing increasing levels of darkness and intriguing literary references in the Oscar Isaac character's name. First thing I spotted last night (the obvious one I guess) was the Edgar Allan Poe nod; now the Dameron surname has me wondering if there's a deliberate Decameron link:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decameron#/search

Fun to speculate anyway.

I'm sensing increasing levels of darkness and intriguing literary references in the Oscar Isaac character's name. First thing I spotted last night (the obvious one I guess) was the Edgar Allan Poe nod; now the Dameron surname has me wondering if there's a deliberate Decameron link:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decameron#/search

Fun to speculate anyway.

That is a ridiculous stretch. Suggesting that Poe is any sort of 'clue' is just silly, but that one takes the biscuit.

He is called Poe Dameron because whoever came up with his name is rubbish. Mystery solved.

Jerellis' posts in here are mental.

Maybe! But so many names in Star Wars have been linked to characters' personalities and intentions:

Han Solo - obviously the loner, wearing black and white so you can't tell if he's a good guy or a baddie;

Luke Skywalker - dreams of 'walking' in the skies and becoming a fighter pilot;

Darth Vader, the 'dark invader' (or dark father, depending on how far you feel like stretching it);

Ree Yees - he's got three eyes;

Greedo - the greedy bounty hunter;

Dengar - anagram of 'danger';

Yoda - derived from the Hebrew for knowledge or wisdom;

Those are off the top of my head and I'm sure there are plenty more. Sure, loads of the names are also probably just random gibberish or anagrams of everyday names, but there's definitely more to some of the character names than just whether or not they sound cool / ridiculous. Also, given how much effort seems to be going into the making and marketing of the new film up to now, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't lots of hidden or suggested meaning in at least a few of the names that have been revealed so far.

Poe Dameron - completely random and chosen just because it sounds Star Wars-y? Sorry, I'm not buying that! :)

That is a ridiculous stretch. Suggesting that Poe is any sort of 'clue' is just silly, but that one takes the biscuit.

He is called Poe Dameron because whoever came up with his name is rubbish. Mystery solved.

We'll know for sure a year from now!

Tessek was originally Squid Head because, funnily enough, he had a head like a squid.

A rather good Easter egg are the names of the two skiff guards, Klatuu and Barada with the formers species being Nikto. Together all three words form a line from The Day The Earth Stood Still. I'm sure there are plenty more of these in the original films.

Tessek was originally Squid Head because, funnily enough, he had a head like a squid.

A rather good Easter egg are the names of the two skiff guards, Klatuu and Barada with the formers species being Nikto. Together all three words form a line from The Day The Earth Stood Still. I'm sure there are plenty more of these in the original films.