IGNORED

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Doctor Shark

I meant to reply to the comic question yesterday but forgot. So here goes.

Marvel have got two main series running in parallel, one just called Star Wars and the other Darth Vader. The stories in both run in parallel but until recently there have only been a few times where the same incident appears in both. However the current storyline "Vader Down" is a full on crossover where you need the relevant issues of both comics to follow the story, as Scott found out the other day. Both are currently up to about issue 13 or 14, the first six issues of each are already out as graphic novels and the second volume of each (issues 7-12) are both out in January.

As well as those there are a few mini-series. So far there's been Princess Leia, Lando, Chewbacca is about to finish and then the next one will be Obi-Wan and Anakin. There's also one called Shattered Empire which is set immediately after Return of the Jedi and includes all the main characters and gives a few hints about things that may be in The Force Awakens. Out of these, Princess Leia and Shattered Empire are out as graphic novels with the rest to follow.

Then there's a series that was going to be just a mini-series but was so well received that it got its run extended. It's called Kanan and is set after Revenge of the Sith about a Jedi that managed to escape Order 66 (who is one of the characters in the Rebels cartoon). The first six issues are out as a graphic novel and it's part way through the next six-issue story. Whether it will carry on beyond that remains to be seen.

All of them are canon, and the ones I've read (which is all the GNs: Star Wars vol 1, Darth Vader vol 1, Kanan vol 1, Princess Leia and Shattered Empire) have been really good.

The nadir of stupidly powerful Jefi/Sith has to be that clownshoe from The Force Unleashed, Darth Bland or whatever he was called, who pulled a Star Destroyer out of the sky with the force. I know it was only a game, but at the time they made a big deal about how it had been personally overseen by George Lucas and that it was the official story bridging the prequels and the good films. Thankfully I think Disney have nuked that story and all the dumbness it contained.

The nadir of stupidly powerful Jefi/Sith has to be that clownshoe from The Force Unleashed, Darth Bland or whatever he was called, who pulled a Star Destroyer out of the sky with the force. I know it was only a game, but at the time they made a big deal about how it had been personally overseen by George Lucas and that it was the official story bridging the prequels and the good films. Thankfully I think Disney have nuked that story and all the dumbness it contained.

Possibly not, read this a while ago...

http://www.slashfilm.com/mads-mikkelsen-star-wars-character/

Mads Mikkelsen signs fan poster 'Galen', possibly his character in Rogue One

Nah, it'll just be a name. No way Hannibal is going to rock up in the film and go 'Hello I'm Darth Vader's previously unmentioned super secret apprentice, or his clone or something, I forget. I was responsible for starting the rebellion y'know, that patch on your flight suit, that's my family crest. Now watch as I fling TIE Fighters around like ping pong balls. Luke Skywalker, pffffft what a loser'.

I have finally booked my ticket. 0930, 17th, Empire Leicester Square. As long as I go to sleep and don't check my phone when I wake I should be completely safe. Hopefully.

(Pending any back-of-CD incidents)

I really hope that they tone down the Jedi abilities in the new films. Yoda slowly raising the X-Wing from the swamp, with obvious effort, while the music swelled was more impressive than any of the Goku shit they did in the prequels. Likewise, I always thought the Emperor's electric jazz hands were supposed to be a display of just how scarily powerful he was and that Luke (and Vader) had never stood a hope in hell of beating him in a straight on fight. Then the prequels and the EU made it something that all apprentices learn during their second module at Sithwarts. Less is more in this case.

Yes, and they need to calm down their battle sequences this time around and focus the story more on the characters instead of the politics. I notice with the prequels it was all about the politics and the characters were kind of secondary. Or that's how I felt anyway, when comparing them to the original trilogy.. which was much more focused on the development of the characters.

To be fair, he had to twirl left and right sticks in opposite directions at the right time. It did actually need Jedi powers to accomplish.

I really hope that they tone down the Jedi abilities in the new films. Yoda slowly raising the X-Wing from the swamp, with obvious effort, while the music swelled was more impressive than any of the Goku shit they did in the prequels. Likewise, I always thought the Emperor's electric jazz hands were supposed to be a display of just how scarily powerful he was and that Luke (and Vader) had never stood a hope in hell of beating him in a straight on fight. Then the prequels and the EU made it something that all apprentices learn during their second module at Sithwarts. Less is more in this case.

Hang on a minute. Deflecting blasters (with lightsaber and hands), force jump (out of the carbonite chamber), premonitions through the force, force lightsaber throw, affect mind, force choke. There's still plenty of overt use of the force one the original films, I guess the difference is that they're more subtle, rather than part of epic action sequences.

They can't nix force stuff, it'll make the next KOTOR rubbish.

Really interested in how Williams' score turns out. With the prequels it felt like the only one he gave his A-game for was Phantom Menace, the others were largely forgettable as was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Maybe he got sent the footage of those films and thought 'Sod this, I'm not using my best stuff on this' or he's just not got it in him anymore, the dude is old and nobody could begrudge him not having it in him anymore. Still, holding out hope as I love me some John Williams.

Really interested in how Williams' score turns out. With the prequels it felt like the only one he gave his A-game for was Phantom Menace, the others were largely forgettable as was Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Maybe he got sent the footage of those films and thought 'Sod this, I'm not using my best stuff on this' or he's just not got it in him anymore, the dude is old and nobody could begrudge him not having it in him anymore. Still, holding out hope as I love me some John Williams.

Every time the kids watch the first Harry Potter, I swear I'm hearing bits of TPM. And the other strange thing is that he also used similar melodies in Hook, which I only saw again recently.

As much as I love his work, at times it feels like he's got a Mark Williams Score Generator going on.

I remember buying X-Wing Alliance way back when. Over the opening credits it has this lovely music. I thought that's really good, who did that. It was actually John Williams and it was Luke and Leia's theme from RotJ. I think the only time you ever hear it is in the background when they have their conversation in the tree village. I'd never even really noticed it. The guy in his prime could write a throwaway theme for a scene like that, that was better than most other film's entire score.

Anyway, for my money this is Williams' finest moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVycvLAFXmc