IGNORED

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Doctor Shark

I was pretty happy with the 3D in this, it wasn't overbearing and only really popped in a couple of scenes (one shot of a Star Destroyer with the front coming out of the screen for example) - compared to the Warcraft trailer that ran before it I could have been watching 2D, that shit looked like a pop-up book.

Oh that's just reminded me.

I still wish they'd gone with one of my fanfare suggestions but we'll get used to the silent Lucasfilm logo eventually.

But after that, and the text crawl, I LOVED the opening shot of the unlit Star Destroyer eclipsing everything on screen.

The Warcraft trailer was painful in 3D. All that fast cutting, depth dwitching between shots, gave me a headache. Trailers like that really aren't ideal for the sort of scene-setting immersion you need for 3D to work properly. Mind you, I was sat in the fourth row at the BFI(!).

Star Wars looked okay in 3D. A few wide shots looked 'miniature', like they had too much depth for the scale. A bit off-putting.

It looked solid for the most part but it's preferable in 2D if you have the choice.

I've just booked for me and the kids to see it at the IMAX the week after Christmas. I didn't even know Nottingham had an IMAX but then I'm not really a blockbuster movie fan (apart from Star Wars obviously).

It's bloody great too. Not quite like the old Odeon 1 screen but time moves on.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

PgLULUI.jpg

RIP :(

I had the new set of Disney Infinity figures on hold at work, pending whether or not I'd give a shit about the new characters. I reckon they're fit to stand alongside the OT cast :D

Absolutely. In fact I'd say that maybe we didn't need to see as much of the original cast as we actually did - Finn, Rey and BB-8 were a great team by themselves.

It's bloody great too. Not quite like the old Odeon 1 screen but time moves on.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

PgLULUI.jpg

RIP :(

I saw all three of the originals there (but not all together on August 16th 1983). It was a great cinema, and always felt really luxurious compared to our local fleapit.

My abiding memory of Odeon screen 1 was going to see Tron with my folks, and while the house lights were still up an old man a few rows in front of us stood up, held a handkerchief to his face as if he was about to sneeze, but instead took out his false teeth, wrapped them in the hankie, put them in his pocket, took another hankie out of his other pocket, unwrapped that to reveal a pork pie, ate the pork pie presumably using just his gums, put his teeth back in, then sat down again. If we'd not have all been sitting slack-jawed at what we'd just witnessed I think we'd have given him a round of applause.

You just don't get that sort of thing in modern multiplexes.

Tickets booked for Dec 30th, 1pm. In 2D because fuck 3D.

:)

You're missing out on a really impressive Star Destroyer sticking out of the screen and...

Well, that's about it really.

EDIT: It was impressive though. That wasn't sarcasm. I'm fairly sure it must be a really weird shot in 2D too as it seemed to sit there doing nothing apart from sticking out of the screen for a while.

I'll also be watching the OT without any childhood ruining changes for the first time in over 10 years, thanks to Treble. I might time it so that we watch Jedi in the morning and TFA in the afternoon.

I'd be very grateful if you could forward those instructions on to me. I meant to ask Treble last night but I was all a-quiver from just seeing Star Wars so I forgot.

Oh, I am ruining your enjoyment? Sorry. Let's not talk about things and just take everything at face value because STAR WARSS

If you didnt pull the same shit with every game ever I might not notice, but low and behold a high profile movie arrives and who is here to get all pedantic over it...

Say what you like and what you dont, but you are surmising stuff you dont know as the trilogy aint over, if the questions remain at 3 then berate it. Just comes across all comic book guy.

I don't think you can excuse faults with this film by saying "you've not seen the whole trilogy though..." The film exists on its own, and should work as a self contained movie as well as being part of a grander trilogy.

I loved it though, 5* and all that, just saying.

Some more thoughts.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Rey definitely is Luke's daughter. She has a rebel pilot's helmet, possibly Luke's. Also, in her hovel of a home, she has a rag doll fashioned to look like a rebel pilot.

As for finding Luke. If you ask me, it was no mere coincidence that R2-D2 suddenly woke up at that point. I reckon that was Luke sending a signal out, obviously after feeling a great disturbance in the force. I wonder if this is touched on in the novelisation.

I'm going to write a long post later...But do you/anyone remember what sort of ship Rey watched leaving?

Isn't that line taken from return of the Jedi anyway.

The trailer line was slightly different at the end.

ROTJ: "... my sister has it. Yes. It's you, Leia."

Trailer: "... my sister has it. You have that power, too."

I'll also be watching the OT without any childhood ruining changes for the first time in over 10 years, thanks to Treble. I might time it so that we watch Jedi in the morning and TFA in the afternoon.

The Despecialized Editions?

I watched them this week. So much better than the SEs (which have been made even worse with each re-release).

Sort of, and it was nothing really recognisable other than, I think, looking similar to the one Rey was running to before it getting blown up and then getting in the Falcon.

In my mind it looks quite a lot like the one Han was on when they picked up the Falcon.

Some more thoughts.

The more I think about it, the more I believe Rey definitely is Luke's daughter. She has a rebel pilot's helmet, possibly Luke's. Also, in her hovel of a home, she has a rag doll fashioned to look like a rebel pilot.

As for finding Luke. If you ask me, it was no mere coincidence that R2-D2 suddenly woke up at that point. I reckon that was Luke sending a signal out, obviously after feeling a great disturbance in the force. I wonder if this is touched on in the novelisation.

I'm going to write a long post later...But do you/anyone remember what sort of ship Rey watched leaving?

I'd forgotten about the helmet and doll, good call. I thought Artoo waking up was when the other piece of the map was brought into proximity but you could be right there too.

I didn't recognise the leaving ship, it looked generic to me rather than something we were supposed to identify but then I am often terrible at picking up these clues.

Luke blates took out that Star Destroyer and that AT-AT in the downed X-wing you see - BLATES!

I love that they put these little story elements in for our imaginations to play with.

Actually I think you'll find I took it down on Walker Assault mode.