Star Wars: The Force Awakens

TFA is a like Abrams Star Trek reboot: it zips along at a great pace, has really likeable characters and seek snappy dialogue but leans on nostalgia a bit too much and basically breaks down a bit if you think on it too hard. I enjoy both films though, and can happily get over the flaws to rewatch them.

Star Trek Into Darkness on the other hand is an abomination. And it is in part because they ignored the problems of the original. I just don't want VIII to do that. Disney are hopefully a safer pair of hands and it's a different director, so I'm optimistic. But I'm just saying if anyone's blood is magic, I'm tearing up the cinema.

Like sand was Darth Vader's kryptonite even before he was a shambling robot man full of dust-sensitive parts?

"Damn, looks like I can't go find my son on Tatooine, they don't make an Otterbox for my fucking chest lights yet."

7 hours ago, -Ben.Johnson- said:

You guys think it's a coincidence that Rey and Luke were both raised (as far as we know) on sand planets, when Darth Vader is clearly not a fan of sand, and makes a point of it to Padme?

The reason Rey lives on a sand planet is Emperor Waltatine decreed to Darth Abrams that their new Battle Franchise should be built as close to the specs of the original as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, kensei said:

Film Crit Hulk explains in detail and in annoying capitals a lot of the things people find wrong with the film

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/06/28/star-wars-the-force-alluded-to

It's way too long and I had to copy and paste it into Word and put it into sentence case to read it, but that is a really good article, and fits well with my feelings about the film.

On 13/06/2016 at 0:36 PM, Darren said:

I freely admit I'm not at all objective about Star Wars. I'm exactly the right age for it to have got right under my skin at the right time. I saw it at the pictures in April 1978, a couple of months before my 8th birthday. (I can pinpoint it this accurately because I went with a friend for his birthday.) And from that moment on I was hooked. For the next few years (until I became a teenager and discovered girls) the Star Wars universe was my universe.

I've never been in the "George raped my childhood" camp and I remember enjoying each of the prequels the first time round, if only because they were more stories from my old childhood universe, up on the big screen at last. Of course the more I watched them the more the flaws stood out, until I got to the point where I now have no plans to ever watch them again. And I think it's that growing sense of disappointment with the prequels that has led to me giving the new film the benefit of the doubt - or an easy ride, from a certain point of view. Because yes, The Force Awakens isn't very original, and obviously isn't as good as the original Star Wars film it emulates so closely, but it nails the feel of Star Wars completely, in a way nothing has since 1983. My inner nearly 8 year old child loves it, and when it comes to Star Wars, he's my go-to guy.

On 13/06/2016 at 0:48 PM, Sidewaysbob said:

YES, that. 

I'll also add It was also the first VHS film i had, we recorded it when the BBC showed it for the first time and watched it pretty much constantly for 5 years. My brother and I wore the tape out in the end. 

So TFA recaptures that hokey space adventure popcorn fest of the first film. Sure it follows a new hope almost beat for beat. But i just don't care it's fun, it has quotable line, has  a hero that i can like, a bad guy with issues. spaceships and laser guns. 

I don't feel the need to analyse it, par it down to find plot holes and inconsistencies. It's a film, just a film and in the grand scheme of things it means nothing. Except to an 8 year old me that wanted a space ship and an adventure and cool buddy like Han solo.  

These posts are so on the money, I concur so whole-heartedly.

A little touch of safe nostalgia was probably the intention for the first film in this "reboot" of the franchise. Star Wars required rejuvenation and I feel TFA is pitch perfect in that regard, and we'll most likely get a progressive push with the next films, patience! You must have patience!

I'd even guess that that's why they hired Abrams for the first film and Rian Johnson for the next one.   

2 hours ago, One Eye said:

While he's explained his reasons it is something of a pity that the most insightful critic on the internet writes in all caps.

He's bang on again though.

There's a bookmarklet that deals with that.

The article is superb. I don't rate the movie.

Watching VII again, I hope Episode VIII is a space road trip movie featuring Hux and Kylo Ren travelling, bickering and seething as they travel on their merry way to see Snoke.

24 minutes ago, englishbob said:

James Cameron: Force Awakens lacked 'imagination' of Star Wars prequels

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/jun/29/star-wars-force-awakens-james-cameron-lacks-visual-innovation?CMP=fb_gu

fuck off to Avatar and its 4 sequels, you bell-end

You have to include the entire quote though. 

“I have to say that I felt that George’s group of six films had more innovative visual imagination, and this film was more of a retrenchment to things you had seen before and characters you had seen before, and it took a few baby steps forward with new characters. So for me the jury’s out, I wanna see where they go with it.”

Which I agree with of course. Looking forward to see what new things they're going to do. 

Cameron is obsessed with visuals though now. Avatar is a visual film and nothing more. It has some of the worst characters and dialogue in any film I think I have seen, and a script written on the back of fag packet. And there are going to be another 4? 

I personally thought the new characters where fine. For the first 30-odd minutes the new characters in TFA carried the film, to the point I think that the old ones didn't need to turn up, there where doing fine on their own. No idea where James gets the "baby steps..." from, the new characters had more than enough exposure. If he was frustrated by the unresolved Raye storyline, then he'll just have to wait for the sequel. Isn't that the Star Wars way?

2 hours ago, englishbob said:

Cameron is obsessed with visuals though now. Avatar is a visual film and nothing more. It has some of the worst characters and dialogue in any film I think I have seen, and a script written on the back of fag packet. And there are going to be another 4?

I take it this means you've watched only a handful of films in your entire life then ;) When's the trend for everything is black and white and extreme hyperbolic statements going to end?

I'd be forgiven that thinking this film was mindblowingly amazing by most of the earlier reactions to it, and that id4:2 was garbage tier, a sentiment that Mark Kermode didn't echo surprisingly, as he seems like the first sort of person to throw something under the bus if it was that bad, and he was a self-confessed fan of the original.

If people want context for that James Cameron quote, here's the entire interview he did, seemingly as a favour to somebody, a mildly diplomatic stance to take as he seems to hold back from giving you his real opinion on it. Some of the other things he says during the interview will probably give plenty of ammunition to his detractors :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLE0QXytO6w&ab_channel=KeelyStinner

Unfortunately, it seems the Star Wars comment has overshadowed the rest of the interview as it's no longer public, shame, was really interesting. Fanboys ruining things again.