IGNORED

The Evil Within

Keyboard Koala

Simile/comparison time here: I love this game but I must say that I consider it more of a set-up for the sequel. No spoilers, but this game tears Sebastian's life and psyche apart, and the sequel allows him to mentally fight back. I compare it to Ash in The Evil Dead vs Ash in Army of Darkness (though TEW2 isn't a comedy obv). Also much like RE4 to RE1/2/3, TEW2 is much more self-aware in that respect. While it's better than the first, I think it's that good because of the first, and I very much enjoy the contrast as a result. They're different like The Terminator and Terminator 2 are different.

TEW2 also has some brilliant and very enjoyable moments that are built up to along the course of both games. I was grinning like a loon at certain moments. If you weren't keen on the first game, don't write the sequel off - you'll really miss out. 

In other news, I love the Gary Numan song over the end credits of the first game, so obviously it's the only one not on the OST. :angry: 

I absolutely love this game! Yes the sequel is indeed better because it does away with a lot of the rough edges of this one (the insta-deaths etc). But this one just feels so.... raw(?) In comparison. Might be down to some strange mechanics or the heavy visual grain/filters but there's definitely something special buried in here. I still remember the intro to the invisible enemies - I absolutely cacked it. 😆

I think the post above explains it best casting these games as Terminator 1 & 2. 🙂

I would love to have seen a third game. It's been a long time though - probably this franchise has seen its last. ☹

• 1 month later...

Following on from my post above, I decided to give this a replay on PS5. Seriously, when this game gets it right, it's REALLY good. The atmosphere is superb, the graphics and sound are excellent, the enemies are pretty memorable and suitably menacing, and the weapons have a nice meaty whallop.

I'm only up to chapter 5, so I'm yet to get to the places where it grates or gets a little annoying (the insta-kill boss fights etc), but I still think this is a bit of a classic. Look forward to doing a replay of the sequel after this, but I think it's going to give me a hankering for what would be a fantastic 3rd game on current gen hardware. :(

• 9 months later...

Been playing this a lot on Series X and it feels smoother than I remember although still janky as hell.  The loading times are way better and overall it's still amazing.  It needs a director's cut or something. Fix the frame rate like they did with the sequel, tone down the difficulty, especially with the instant kill boss (Laura?) that you cannot fight with weapons until it lets you (seems unfair to let you waste your ammo when it's not telling you that you're not doing any damage).  

Massively under appreciated game, should be hailed as a classic.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

especially with the instant kill boss (Laura?) that you cannot fight with weapons until it lets you

Oh, I’m posting this is the ‘things that fuck you off’ thread! See also the first encounter with Cunty McTriangle in Silent Hill 2. 

5 hours ago, dumpster said:

Been playing this a lot on Series X and it feels smoother than I remember although still janky as hell.  The loading times are way better and overall it's still amazing.  It needs a director's cut or something. Fix the frame rate like they did with the sequel, tone down the difficulty, especially with the instant kill boss (Laura?) that you cannot fight with weapons until it lets you (seems unfair to let you waste your ammo when it's not telling you that you're not doing any damage).  

Massively under appreciated game, should be hailed as a classic.

100% disagree. Nonsensical random spooky things happen without rhyme or reason with clunky controls and insta-death moments.

The sequel however is GOTY every year. My desert island game.

That's the point I'm making really.  There's a lot to like in this game, but it needs a polish and next gen could really do that.  I only just realised I am playing on new game plus so I have weapons maxxed out, and a character that's very resilient.  I was reading my own post on the previous page about how much I hated this game in 2016.  It's a good game spoiled by things that could be polished out in a remake.

Agreed. I love the sequel so went back to this for another shot and it’s so close to being fantastic but the absurd amount of instant kills do a real number on it. Walking into a room and having Reebok or whatever his name was teleport to the door and burst your head like a melon instantly sure was a thing I remember to this day.

Or when I’m hiding under a bed where he didn’t see me, only to walk straight up as soon as he comes in and perform a murder. He’s obviously not the only culprit, but definitely an example of way too many semi-rng death sequences.

it’s a shame because you really can see flashes of greatness hiding in there. Super grind house aesthetic too.

TEW 3, plz. Ghost wire looked incredible but massively underdelivered, so time to go back to the well of spectacular headshots.

One of my all time favourite games. TEW2 is great but there's something about TEW1 that just tickles my hang lows.

There's a Twitch streamer called Jigzaw Killer who is amazing to watch playing this. I discovered him in 2014 when I first played this on Xbox One. I only discovered Twitch through TEW and Alien: Isolation. He's been my favourite streamer since. I think he still has the world record for TEW1 Akumu. His vids are on Youtube.

I was playing this on PS3 (yes I know it's 2022) but whilst I can appreciate what this was trying to do, the one-hit kills, confusing layouts and so much stealth, plus the very long loading times even when it was installed on the HD, just made me throw the towel in. 

I think the second game is so technically accomplished (especially frameboosted on Series X) that it seems the better game.  But the original has a lot going for it, but as mentioned, the insta deaths can spoil it. But I think the biggest issue with the insta-deaths was how many there are (especially later in the game) and each is followed by a lengthy loading delay.  The current gen consoles get rid of that delay and the insta-deaths are a lot more tolerable.  I basically want Evil Within 1, written with the technical proficiency of Evil Within 2.

I think it's fundamentally broken. I'll keep this short:

- why is the antagonist after me? I've watched one of those Story Explained video and it makes no sense to me.

- why is Laura after me? I've watched one of those Story Explained video and it makes no sense to me.

- antagonist and Laura died in a barn fire. As far as I know, the protagonist is not in any way shape or form involved in this. At all.

- what are the rules? What can the antagonist do? What can the zombies do? Ow great, this one zombie in this one scene can drive a car because the scene needs to happen.

- no clear mechanics during boss fights. It's trial and error. Or in my case, watching YT guides and go "wait, that's how?" Yeah I'm looking at you metal-gates-hallway-being-chased-by-boss section. Or of course the joke of a final boss, what a mess that is.

- too many invaluable skills. I was one of those whom heavily invested in the "amount of matches". Could carry a max of 30, don't think I ever found more than 12 and even less useful moments.

- confusing world building. At about 75% through the game you have a brief chat with the fella in the cell right across from you. He mentions "eyes" and "shooting the eyes". Very shortly after you end up in an arena battle with eyes in the sky and on the walls. Long complaint short: you kill the enemies. The eyes literally play no role. Why set that up?

It really feels like a game play tested and focus grouped by the developers who knew that to do. I hate it with a passion, tied with A Plague's Tale for worst game I've played in the past decade.

Not wanting to piss vinegar here, I'm happy some of you enjoy(ed) it :)

Well, I absolutely love this game, but I do still agree with some those points. I'll leave it someone else to explain any story details (although again I do agree it's not totally clear), but personally I think all the confusion works in its favor. I actually think its supposed to be a bit fuzzy - after all you are in someone's weird alternate reality and nothing is really supposed to make sense. The one thing I definitely agree 100% on is the trial and error facet to the game, which really drags it down.

For me though it's still my rough diamond - even when I play it now it still gives me a feeling of general uneasiness and I think I've played through it maybe 4-5 times. For as much as EW2 was awesome, and technically the better game - it just didn't have the gritty atmosphere of 1.

Also I think if you maybe skipped 2 because of an aversion to the "features" of this one, you really should give it a try because it has pretty much none of those frustrations. 

I'd still LOVE to see an EW3 on PS5 as a nice mix of 1 and 2 - won't happen I know but we can dream.  :wub:

I like mystery and fuzziness, Silent Hill 2 is a great example of that. It never explains anything yet within the confined space of mystery and tension things makes enough sense for me to not become distracted. TEW is the exact opposite where it went completely overboard where things made little to no sense in the worst way imaginable. I've said it many times before, it's random spooky things happening.

I love TEW2 because things make sense. I know what's going on, I understand what is as stake, I am familiar with the rules of what enemies can and can not do. It's mysterious and weird yet remains grounded enough for me to not be annoyed or distracted.

I'd like to see Tango try again, be in TEW3 or a complete reimagining of TEW1.

You get to play as Juli Kidman, so yes.

However, the first one featuring her is mainly stealth and avoidance based, so no.

However, she shakes off a zombie by kicking one of her heels through its jaw. So yes.