IGNORED

Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC

Thor

Only the FSD and an extra cargo bay. I did equip mining gear, but mining is shit so I flogged it all. What would you reccomend?

Well an Eagle is a really good stopgap between Sidewinder and Viper, if you're keen to get bounty hunting!

I'd prioritise defensive modules before weapons though, so maybe go for shield generator, engines (for better boosts) and power management to begin with.

A pair of lasers and a cannon of some kind should give you plenty of destructive power for starter bounty hunting.

Oh and a k-warrant scanner is good, but not essential. It can be a bit frustrating when you detect a bounty with it, kill the target, and then realise the bounty is in a system that ends up being half hours' fsd jumping away.. :)

Just seen the exploration info graphic showing how very large stars, EarthLike planets and gas class ii planets pay best. Interesting but how would you use that information? You can't plan for it to maximise your exploration reruns can you? You just get what you get? Or is there a way to predict that a star will be very big or that it might have better paying planets?

I've just realised that the star types are shown under info in the galaxy map, so G2V is a sun-like star. You should be able to aim at more massive stars using that, and aim at the more common main sequence stars for rocky or metal rich planets I assume.

Edit: Can also help with planning a route with stars you can fuel scoop from so you don't get stranded.

I've just realised that a lot of the system names on the galaxy map are the star types so like G2V is a sun-like star. You should be able to aim at more massive stars using that, and aim at the more common main sequence stars for rocky or metal rich planets I assume.

Edit: Can also help with planning a route with stars you can fuel scoop from so you don't get stranded.

Thanks

You can scoop from almost any star though, right? To the point it's not worth changing route to cater for it?

Well, non gimballed equivalent ranked beam lasers would be even stronger..

Yeah, but then I'd have to pinpoint with a 360 pad... Once I get my flight stick I'm gonna see if my aim improves.

I've yet to find anything better than the multicannons for hull. I love cannons, but for anything smaller than an asp you're wasting over half your shots. And particle accelerators and rail guns have the same aim issue.

Anyone having issues with the servers today? The official forums are full of people claiming that THE 'GAME' IS COMPLETELY BROKEN FRONTIER ARE CHARLATANS ITS A VIOLATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS IVE NEVER PLAYED SUCH A CRAPPY PIECE OF SHIT IN MY LIFE but I reckon there'll be a more measured response here.

I've been unable to connect to the multiplayer or transaction server intermittently all day, and when I can connect, sometimes my purchases don't go through, or I get two or three times the sale price for a commodity (I reckon because I'm madly hammering the 'sell' button in an effort to actually sell stuff before I get booted out of the game).

As I say, the official forums are hyperbolic at best, but I've seen mention of a roll back. I'm not going to want to do anything if it gets undone when Frontier get back to work. Has anyone here heard anything about this?

Lots of people on the ED forums seem to be having issues. Apparently they've all been stuck with cargo they can't shift for over 24hrs, or some have had cargo that they've sold and resold three times over before emptying their hold. Understandably some are asking for a rollback to keep things fair (with that 'first to Elite' competition thats running and all)

And lots of 'well if it just had an offline mode like we were promised...'

I've been on for a good chunk of today and had no issues at all. It was playing up a bit last night though, so I went totally off piste and just did something else. Maybe I should go on the elite forums and suggest this course of action ;-)

I do have a certain amount of sympathy for this point of view. I never know if any problems are caused by my internet connection or their servers or bugs. An offline mode would solve those. But then again, I'm not so bothered I'd cause a fuss about it.

Would this probably run ok-ish with an i5-3570 / 8GB ram / AMD 6870 1GB ?

I'm getting more and more tempted by this game, but I can't afford any new hardware. I shouldn't have bought any other games in the sales :/

Lots of people on the ED forums seem to be having issues. Apparently they've all been stuck with cargo they can't shift for over 24hrs, or some have had cargo that they've sold and resold three times over before emptying their hold. Understandably some are asking for a rollback to keep things fair (with that 'first to Elite' competition thats running and all)

I hope not. I bought a Hauler and made 200k this evening :(

Joystiq covering the recent issues: http://massively.joystiq.com/2015/01/02/elite-dangerous-server-goes-haywire-creates-instant-billionair/

Also, some poor sap has been on a round trip of thousands of systems, exploring over 30 days. When he finally gets back to dock he finds out its only the most recent 200 systems that can be cashed in for exploration data. picard.jpg

Would this probably run ok-ish with an i5-3570 / 8GB ram / AMD 6870 1GB ?

It'll run great. I'm using an AMD 6850 and a six-year-old Core 2 Quad processor (so not as good as your system) and with pretty much everything set to high, plus SMAA, I'm getting 40-60 fps. Absolutely delighted at how well this game runs.

I'm currently doing 1420C trying to get to what I think is the third star in a system 2million ls away. I only think that because it has an fsd wake (that I could pick up from that distance??) - if it's not there, I'm going postal.

Edit; got to 1499C and it started auto-slowing at a range of 1.1m ls. I think I'm right.

I sold my Type-6 and bought a viper, kitted it out to high heaven and went RES hunting. It was fun but nowhere near as profitable as the bulk trading I was doing in my type-6 so I swapped back. Managed to find a couple of great trade routes too. Two systems right next door to each other (16ly jump which even in my laden type 6 is one jump) with a round trip netting me 170-200k every 15-20 minutes or so. Only problem was that the stock in one of the stations dried up, the buy prices went up, sell prices down and that was the end of that.

I was making my cash earlier, albeit on a much smaller scale, trading between two posts in the same system. Every 15 mins or so a bulletin would pop up for goods in the opposite station too. Loadsa money!!

Totally cracked quick approaching systems too, fuck using the auto slow, it takes the piss.

I like just diving in and pulling back on the stick letting the gravity brakes do the work. Is there a better way though? I was right about that star but it wasn't worth finding. 2.4million ls. Jesus. Another rares run too. Got 1.25m for the cobra now.

Do I want an upgraded discovery scanner? 500k is a lot, does it increase range significantly?

I like just diving in and pulling back on the stick letting the gravity brakes do the work. Is there a better way though? I was right about that star but it wasn't worth finding. 2.4million ls. Jesus. Another rares run too. Got 1.25m for the cobra now.

Do I want an upgraded discovery scanner? 500k is a lot, does it increase range significantly?

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC