IGNORED

Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC

Thor

Do the training missions not teach the basics of the different flight (supercruise etc)? I agree there is lots that you need to figure out youself, but I seem to recall not having any trouble moving from system to system and docking. In fact, I'm sure there was a mission that is specific to that very thing.

If you want to do bounty hunting, learn how to drop in from supercruise to a target, then head to any system and just drop in at the nav beacon which is usually nearby. Then just target ships and shoot all the Sidewinders and Eagles you find that show as 'wanted' in your UI after a scan.

Do the training missions not teach the basics of the different flight (supercruise etc)? I agree there is lots that you need to figure out youself, but I seem to recall not having any trouble moving from system to system and docking. In fact, I'm sure there was a mission that is specific to that very thing.

They do.

I'm pretty sure I got the basics like that from playable tutorial missions, yes.

Ann, my recommendation would be to save a bit of cash and buy a class B power distributor for your sidewinder. It's about 8k. It'll let you spam weapons for longer before they need to charge back up again. Head to a nav beacon by looking at your left hud and selecting from the list of system objects. Target it, throttle up and engage FSD. Once there, camp it and target ships as they arrive in the system. Any that flash up wanted, shoot. The police will help you. Bounties me do.

Boring missions from a station will help get you the initial money.

You'll need a good foundation in basic flight mechanics to do any of this. As for other ships, there's loads around, so space is big. You may be in a low population system. You're probably also in a nice system with police - if a system is anarchy, under no control, you can shoot anyone, and be shot by anyone.

Honestly though, I'd not call looking up videos cheating. It's true the in game help isn't extensive, but it's quite sim like. I wouldn't jump in Flight Sim X and expect to know the instrument landing system without pointers, for example.

The lack of a proper tutorial is pretty shitty - it's a pretty complex game. I've been playing since the Premium Beta and it's only recently I feel like I've got a decent grasp of upgrading my ship. Powerplay remains a dark art to me.

It is really good when you get the hang of it though, and to be honest, whilst the initial learning curve is ludicrously steep, once you have a basic grasp of the flight mechanics, everything else should start to slot into place.

Not yet, I'd read that they're all illegal; so shooting anything on the ground gives you a bounty, so I've been avoiding. Not sure how true that is though, so if you do any I'd be interested to know if in a controlled system you get tagged by the police for doing them.

I'm going to do a reccy of all the ground stations in my local systems and see which ones are fair game to shoot up.

I must say, I'm really disappointed in the missions at the moment. You'd think 'bounty hunter' would be a valid profession right? So there should be missions to support this. Every now and again you see 'kill x number of pirates in a system' type missions, and they used to be quite frequent; but they're basically non-existent now and when I do see them they are unavailable to me because I don't have high enough combat rank (despite flying a Vulture and having 30 million in the bank, most of it earned from combat). They mentioned that missions were going to get an overhaul; but that was bollocks. They just threw in loads more mission types; but the underlying system is exactly the same; i.e. randomly generated missions thrown on the bulletin board.

Why not have a system that targets the player a bit better? A more carefully crafted mission based career option would be great. It'd be awesome if you could 'advertise' your services within a defined role then see NPCs offering missions to you based on your ability. For example; you dock at a station and access the computer and (after somehow declaring that your services are for hire as a 'bounty hunter') you are approached by an NPC or faction offering you missions that can range from easy>medium>hard as relevant. For example:-

- I'm a starting pilot, with no combat rank. I'm offered an easy mission that is to take down 2x novice pirates flying Sidewinders. A medium difficulty mission could see me having to take down 5x pirates of varying rank flying Sidewinders and/or Eagles. A hard mission could see me having to tackle a mixture of Elite Sidewinder pirates, some Eagles or perhaps even some higher level ships.

- I've ranked up a bit, and I'm flying a Vulture. I'm offered an easy mission to take down some Asps, Vipers, Cobras. A medium difficulty mission could see me having to take down some higher ranked Cobras, Asps and Vipers but perhaps some Pythons and some of the larger ships. A hard mission could see me take on some Anacondas and the like.

Even harder missions could require a wing support.

There would be variants for if you want to be a pirate; or a trader, or a smuggler, or a miner, or an explorer, or courier. Just something that offers chained missions, with interesting NPCs or faction chatter, with a bit of a story, that are more targeted to the player. As it stands you just see random missions thrown on the board; and sometimes I can't find anything in the surrounding systems that are suitable for primary faction ranking as a bounty hunter; so in the end I do something else to rank up (courier missions) or just head to a nav beacon to shoot some pirates - which is fun, and earns me combat rank, and faction rep; but no primary faction rank.

Some of the missions are bugged and others are impossible to complete on the Xbox One.

For example, missions that require you to retrieve hostages from another pilot don't trigger as mission cargo, they just appear as illicit, ending up in a failed mission.

Some of the multistage courier missions require you to land on a planet, which obviously you can't do on the Xbox version as Horizons isn't out yet.

I don't disagree, just a note though: the rank you need for the missions is not based on your combat rank but on your rank with the group or power that controls the station.

It's definitely combat rank. The two requirements for bounty hunter bulletin board type missions are your Reputation with the Faction (eg. Friendly, Allied etc.) and your Combat Rank (eg. Competent, Dangerous etc.)

I don't disagree, just a note though: the rank you need for the missions is not based on your combat rank but on your rank with the group or power that controls the station.

It's both. There is a minimum rank required for the mission too. For example, I can be 'Allied' with the faction; but because I'm not a 'Dangerous' ranked combat pilot I can't take the mission.

Some of the missions are bugged and others are impossible to complete on the Xbox One.

For example, missions that require you to retrieve hostages from another pilot don't trigger as mission cargo, they just appear as illicit, ending up in a failed mission.

Some of the multistage courier missions require you to land on a planet, which obviously you can't do on the Xbox version as Horizons isn't out yet.

Yep, lots broken. I'm taking missions that I know are possible to complete; but others I'm avoiding (multi-stage, hostage, retrieval, rendezvous).

It's both. There is a minimum rank required for the mission too. For example, I can be 'Allied' with the faction; but because I'm not a 'Dangerous' ranked combat pilot I can't take the mission.

Remember, your Reputation and Rank with a Faction are different things.

Remember, your Reputation and Rank with a Faction are different things.

I know, I'm probably not describing it well enough. I've spent hours ranking up with the Empire; gone up 4 ranks now; so I've got a good handle on what gives good rank progression. I'm 'Allied' with the Empire now, so I've been focusing on my rank.

Not sure if I've mentioned it here, but if you do want good rank progression the donation and urgent courier missions (deliver data in less than an hour, for example) offer the highest increase. At 'Serf' Empire rank, they were offering 2-4% increase (the higher paid and shorter time given to complete giving the most).

Sorry, just to clarify... I could have a reputation of 'Allied' with the Empire and have an Empire rank of 'Serf' (meeting those two reqs); but because I don't have an overall combat rank of 'Dangerous' I can't take the mission.

Aye, it is really buggy - I've reported one a few pages back where the destination didn't exist and I had another timed mission last night that was to the same station I picked up the delivery, but just kept repeating when the time ran out. No penalty though, which was good. Only picked it up because it was a 'deliver scan free' type, some 300k. I think some mission appearances can be based on the standing of the system, local faction behaviour. Or maybe not, who knows.

davejm - where are you? Worth forming a wing and tackling some bombing missions as a team? I don't know how strong a ground based target is, or how well protected (range of turrets, for example) but figure a quick flyby with physical weapons on gimballs (or B5-like strafing with FA off, fuck gravity) will quickly sort out any local targets. Rinse & repeat. Check it out with some cheap ships first ;)

I suspect the local faction will be pissed off, granted (which also means avoiding a KWS), but that's easy to avoid with a laser to the cockpit :P

I'm in the Vaka system at the moment, Empire space. I'm up for travelling; though I've started to get familiar with the systems here and there are courier missions that require only 1 hop which is handy.

I'd be up for winging it! You around this evening?

Nice. I've been tempted to try out the Imperial Eagle; so might be a good option for some sorties. Come to think of it, I never did fly a Viper; so that might be worth a try.

My Vulture re-buy cost is over a million at the moment, so don't fancy getting blown up in that!

What about the assassinations offered in missions of some high profile target? Are these more based on the rank you have within a power?

I don't tend to do these as I've heard they're bugged and/or involve targeting a non-wanted NPCs; so I avoid.

But I just had a look at one of these and there is one unavailable to me; because I don't have the required combat rank...

post-701-0-50906800-1452506860.png

Overall there are around 15 missions on the board currently, only one of them is available to me (a 1 hop time limited courier mission). I'm 'Allied' with all the factions in the station.

Are you sure they are bugged? They are assassination missions not bounty hunting. Targets shouldn't be wanted for assassinations I think.

Sorry, god I'm not explaining myself well at all.

There are two reasons I don't take these missions.

1) I've read they're bugged; in this case people fly around and never find the target and then the mission expires. I don't know for sure if this is the case; if I wanted to do the missions I'd probably check for sure... but...

2) They're not bounty hunting missions, as you rightly point out. They aren't 'wanted' targets; therefore these aren't missions I want to take. This is indeed how they're supposed to be.

I only started talking about assassination missions because you did :D I don't typically want to take them (though I did once for a naval rank progression mission, and luckily the target was wanted in this case) as they don't fit for the law-abiding bounty hunter/courier/explorer that I'm playing - assuming that the targets aren't typically wanted in the system.

Anyone tried the ground based missions?

I tried one, in which I had to destroy a specific generator on a small base.

I found it underwhelming. The SRV is great fun to drive, but it's not that weildy when it comes to combat. Taking out defence turrets, and later the AI skimmers, fell back to moving in close enough to get a few shots off, then driving back (perhaps behind a small ridge) in order to recharge shields and avoid fire. The mission's goal was to take out a the generator to increase the chances of a later assault, but by the time I was done with it I'd already taken out all the defences, which just tended to highlight the lightweight nature of the mission generation.

Assaulting a base can be terrific fun - it's the meat of games like Far Cry and Just Cause, both of which showcase wildly different approaches as you infiltrate a compound or rain fire from above as the place erupts in an orgy of violence. Elite's approach just doesn't seem to have the depth for this.

It is, of course, a lot to ask for the core of such games to be replicated as a single mission type within a much more expansive title, but I can see myself taking on few of these missions if they're just not that interesting.

After watching a Youtube tutorial and starting again with a new save last night, I didn't get to bed until 3am. Lol! Fucking NPCs attacked me as I made off with some stolen cargo and I shot each of the fuckers down. Can't figure out how to give the stolen loot to the character who placed the mission - the Give Cargo button is greyed out at every station I dock in - but there's probably a Youtube video for that too. ;)

It may be a bugged mission (mentioned further up thread). If the mission status screen on the left menu in your cockpit says that you have 0/1 cargo then it's bugged, and you'll have to discard the mission.

You can still make some money from the cargo by going to a station that has a Black Market.

Managed my first planetary assault. I bought a Viper MKIV and hit a ground station nearby; destroying all the defence turrets than having a scout around in the SRV. I figured out that if you zoom into the planet on the system map it tells you if the station is controlled; and in this case it was described as 'anarchy' even though the system itself was aligned to an Empire faction. That's very handy.

Anyway, I managed to find 3 data access points and when I scanned them it added a 7700 credit data payload to the transaction tab for the attention of the Alliance; so I assume I can sell that to an Alliance faction now.

The Viper MKIV looks lovely in black...

zoljZCr.png

Jc6TTYh.png

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC