IGNORED

Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC

Thor

I have heard that too. But I don't have any.

Your motherboard may have a USB 2 header (my z170 does) which you can use to get some USB 2 ports by buying a backplate http://www.amazon.co.uk/MainBoard-Ports-Header-Bracket-Extension/dp/B007PPHMR2.

If not, I'd buy a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card if have a PCI slot spare. Maybe a USB 2 hub plugged into a USB 3 port would also work but I'm not sure.

That or get a different stick from someone who can produce a Windows 10 / USB 3 driver :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So they've completely changed their product packages and Horizons is now available as DLC which requires the base game. As it should have been since the start.

I can see this upsetting people who've already purchased Horizons as it's now currently £19.99 for the DLC, which is £10 cheaper than the previous discounted loyalty price Elite Dangerous owners already paid a very short time ago.

It's also back to being a single entry in your Steam list.

I think it's worse in this example because a lot of people already felt they were overpaying as the price included the base game. I believe people who purchased before the reshuffle have been/or are being given a free ASP, bobblehead and other goodies. So if you're into the game you'll get the discrepancy back in digital items.

Yeah, it is quite soon I suppose.  I thought it was just a reshuffle as to how things were being presented on the Steam store though?  The discounts at the moment are just due to the sale.  The base game and Horizon's both go back up to £25 each (or £40 for the Deluxe edition) after tomorrow.

Horizons was £39.99, with a £10 loyalty discount bringing it to £29.99. Now that package has been renamed Deluxe (as it included the base game). With existing base game owners only now needing to pay £19.99 with the current discount or £24.99 after for Horizons.

Yeah it was.  But putting the discounted sale price aside, it's only a fiver cheaper now.

But, I see the point.  I think it's a bit silly to label the discount for base game owners a 'loyalty' discount but then offer it for cheaper for everyone not long after release; then also have it appear in a sale bringing the price down even more.

Personally, I did anticipate that both the base game and Horizons would likely drop in price.  I do feel like I've paid a lot overall (£50 for the base game with beta access, then £30 for Horizons), but these things don't tend to bother me that much.

It wouldn't be the first game to find itself dropping in price a couple of months after release and as noted, it's actually £24.99 as a base price, £19.99 in a sale. Half the problem is that it's all happened at the same time as the correction of the original bad idea of having multiple different versions of the game on Steam, so it looks more like a shafting than it otherwise would be.

I can live with a fiver discrepancy.

I see that Season 2 content has been outlined now as well.

2.1 – The Engineers
Coming Spring 2016
Everything changes. Introducing an expanded mission system and game-changing loot. Craft exotic weapons and modules for your spacecraft and build a ship unlike any other.

2.2 – Guardians
Coming Summer 2016
Take what comes and strike back with double. Bring a second ship to every combat encounter with Ship-Launched Fighters and defend your passengers against the deadliest threats in the galaxy.

2.3 – The Commanders
Coming Fall 2016
Team up and stand together. Forge your own identity with the new Commander Creator, then share your bridge with Multi-Crew and fly with friends.

2.4 – ???? 
A secret to be revealed in Elite Dangerous: Horizons’ final expansion!

Currently near the core with the Distand Worlds expedition. Playing in open but joining the private group for waypoint meetups. Some people simply cant get into the private group as theyre late to the party and there have been griefers attacking people in open. Yes really. Anyway bs aside I have some nice holday snaps I'll put up soon.

12 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

It wouldn't be the first game to find itself dropping in price a couple of months after release and as noted, it's actually £24.99 as a base price, £19.99 in a sale. Half the problem is that it's all happened at the same time as the correction of the original bad idea of having multiple different versions of the game on Steam, so it looks more like a shafting than it otherwise would be.

I can live with a fiver discrepancy.

I decided to pick it up again after getting my launch day purchase refunded due to performance issues.

It's even cheaper on their own site as it lets you pick the currency you want to pay in at the top. I picked Rubles and it charged me $19 via PayPal.

This game, as most games, simply doesn't want to offer a balanced experience when it comes to griefers. The penalties are simply not enough. Instead of people being protected in open and go on about their business, dealing with risk and pirate or griefer danger, sure, but knowing there are severe consequences to those players, they are being forced to leave open. I will never understand why developers are so afraid to deal with these things as they should. It's very disappointing to see people leave open, considering how difficult it is to meet other people in the first place.

Yep. If people didnt feel pushed into private you'd obviously have a load of people defending each other from such attacks. But I can see why they dont due to the shiteness of the instancing and winging up even if youre friended with someone. I assume it just really is that difficult to code for? I imagine Frontier have spread themselves fairly thin too with I imagine some people working on atmospherey planets as well as all the things promised this year being tweaked and tested.

I don't think it's because of the instancing. They have bounties working all through the instances, so it's more about wanting to deal with the actual problem in my opinion. 

You want to be a griefer, a killer in other words? Sure. When you kill someone for no other reason that to simply kill him you suffer a wide galaxy bounty that can confiscate your ship for 3 days. You do it again? 6 days and 10 million in fine. If you can't pay it goes up to 12 days and so on. You want to pay but you can't? Sure. You pay your fine by doing community work in your ship. You can't use your weapons and you become a trader or a delivery boy until your dept is paid (or NPC or PC come after you with huge bounties, enough to make cooperation for the target viable economically). You want none of those things? Sure. The only safe places for you are on the edges of civilized space, where there are few stations to do anything. Why not make it a career path then? Provide the griefer with missions of random killing contracts and have him live that life if he wishes. You get caught and you are unable to fight your way through? You die and you lose your ship. No rebuy option for you.

You kill someone and you steal his cargo (or there is an option to salvage his wreck and sell it for parts)? Sure. You get branded as a pirate in the system and its surrounding systems. You get bounties, you get hunted and you either pay a huge fine or you die. You do it again? Your bounty and pirate status spreads? You are denied entrace to stations. You get hunted. You pay fines or your ship is confiscated. You become notorious? Sure. You are really rich but there is no rebuy option. Make that apply for the next 3 ships you buy until you repay your debt and repent for your actions. You are a pirate now, then? Sure. Create missions for you, to steal more, etc etc.

If I can come up with this kind of stupid things in half an hour it took me to write this post, I am pretty sure professional designers can come up with much, much better. They just don't want to because they are afraid people will dislike it, so they keep on letting their game emptying out and instead of bringing players closer they isolate them out of the open.  

One of the most important updates is coming to missions which finally makes them more sensible. Some of the changes are absolutely amazing.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/388

And for those who can't click the link:

From the desk of Executive Producer, Michael Brookes

"Hi everyone,

This week’s dev update is the penultimate update on the changes to missions coming in the (2.1) release - The Engineers. The topic I’ll cover is the variety goal and next week I’ll cover the final goals of consequences and rewards.

Variety at its most simplistic is making sure that more missions (and variants) are available, but beyond that tweaking them to make them more accessible and having a better sense of predictability, so if you’re looking for a particular type of mission then you can determine the best places to find them.

We’re tackling variety with a host of changes – the first is ensuring that more missions are available at the neutral reputation stage. Developing your reputation will reveal more missions, but more importantly – more valuable missions. We’re also removing the rank requirement for missions. The rank will now be an indication of difficulty (and by association, rewards) and generally will generated around your relevant Pilots Federation rank. You can take on more difficult missions to try and grasp some big rewards, but there is a risk in doing so.

Missions will be generated by stricter criteria so that the majority of missions offered will make sense in the location that are offered. A three stage hierarchy will govern how the missions are created.

First by the state of the minor faction, so if they are in famine, or at war, or any other state missions to address that state are generated.

Secondly, the type of market for the port, so that they match the economic activity for that market. An obvious example is creating mining missions from extraction economies.

The third stage is determined by the government type and this reflects the character of the minor factions and the types of operation that they indulge in. For example dictatorships are more likely to indulge in overt assassinations and so send a visible message, while democracies will conduct their wet work through covert operations.

Within the offered mission there will be a description for why that mission has been generated and what effect it will have for the minor faction. This clearer communication of the interaction with the galactic simulation will make it easier for you to pick the relevant missions for your goals.

We’re also looking to reduce the barrier of inconvenience for some of the mission elements – my favourite here is not having to drop out of supercruise to listen to alternate offers. The time limits for missions as well as which elements make them easier, or more difficult are being reviewed and addressed.

Another exciting change is how missions and USSs interact with each other. USSs for missions will now generally be located at specific bodies within a system which have can be located using a discovery scanner, although the usual ranges apply. If the system has a nav beacon then these can now be scanned and the scan will reveal these mission locations as well as providing any exploration data for that system.

In conjunction with these changes the general distribution and generation of USSs is also being updated. There are now concepts of different parts of space within a system, like traffic lanes and hubs and different contents can be generated at each. They are also created spatially rather than by time range so you can no longer just sit and wait for one to appear, you will need to look for it.

One other significant change for USSs is that they can be scanned to reveal more information about them without having to drop out of supercruise.

There’s still a ton of details for changes of other aspects of the game coming after next week’s look at mission consequences and rewards.

Thanks,

Michael."

Discuss the update here.

The missions will always be bad though - there's still only one real mission objective and it's "turn in X" with different X's (cargo, bounty vouchers, life pods) - some of them aren't even structured content, which is what missions are supposed to be for, giving you a goal and guiding you to it. What is a new player told to bring back some coffee and it must be stolen in the area "space" supposed to do? It requires huge knowledge of what exists and what is possible that the game never tells you.

The reaction about the rank thing here is because someone posted a big post-mortem of a new player experience where they couldn't do anything because all the missions in the starting system required a rank.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

The missions will always be bad though - there's still only one real mission objective and it's "turn in X" with different X's (cargo, bounty vouchers, life pods) - some of them aren't even structured content, which is what missions are supposed to be for, giving you a goal and guiding you to it. What is a new player told to bring back some coffee and it must be stolen in the area "space" supposed to do? It requires huge knowledge of what exists and what is possible that the game never tells you.

The reaction about the rank thing here is because someone posted a big post-mortem of a new player experience where they couldn't do anything because all the missions in the starting system required a rank.

I hope not. The missions in any game like this, like for example MMOs, will always suffer and be completely flat. As opposed to MMOs though, where your actions have no effect to the gameworld, in this you can actually make a difference. As missions get richer, AI becomes better and the simulation more precise and player friendly, even transferring coffee will be great when the rewards and influence are more varied and complex. The missions themselves are not the actual problem (it's impossible to create anything that will not be repetitive anyway), the end result is, which at the moment is only about money.

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC