IGNORED

Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC

Thor

I was going to say "Oh for fucks sake, I'm on my way back from there", but seeing as they are just combat goals and I'm in my Asp Explorer... er... explorer, I'm in no way set up for it.

Just checked... started this trip out to the centre of the galaxy two months ago.  Will probably be back in the bubble middle of next month but that Explorer Elite rating is going to be mighty close.

I had exactly the same idea... the only thing I haven't really tried yet is deep space exploration, so I decided to go to Colonia. Not for the CG - that turned out pitiful. But that region is now a save point before Sag A*. I loaded up on a dozen data delivery missions to the region (1 to 2 million credit payouts) and plotted a journey.

I don't know if a 45Ly jump-range is decent or not for an Asp Explorer -- I engineered things as best as I could, but I'm sure other people have gotten more than 45ly out of an Asp. Anyway, it will have to do. Let's plot a course that gets 75% to Colonia...

About 600 jumps... although I hadn't considered using neutron stars. I was honestly willing to do those 600 jumps until I just saw LeChuck lolwutting at the notion of 288. I've actually already set off... already done about 150 jumps to a nebula along the way. I'm about 25% to Colonia. It took all evening and was fucking boring. I think I'll have to watch some youtube videos about how to do neutron star jumping...

Heh. I'm still on my way back. 153 jumps to Rohini at around 36ly a time.  I'm determined to be Explorer Elite by the time I return to the bubble and thanks to my Splendid Spreadsheet of... 'Sploration, I'm going to have to deep scan those 153 plus another 100 to limp over the line.  So I might be back to the bubble for the end of next month.

Now I've tried it, I think the neutron star jumping is too scary. I did it successfully the first time, but then I fucked it up twice. It never seems to show the danger-zone outline, which I believe is truly essential for judging your approach and angle. I emergency-dropped out of supercruise and took damage twice. Too damn scary.

I think I'd rather limp along the slow way. I'm also trying to get as much cartographic data along the way, keeping an eye out for water worlds and terraforming candidates - I think they're much more likely to be around normal stars. It's also good to know there are 5 or 6 outposts and stations to stop along the way. 

That can be calculated -- but it doesn't seem very efficient. The game's route planner will factor in a few neutron stars if they happen to be along the straightest path to the destination (the line will turn blue for those legs of the journey). What LeChuck is using is a website that calculates a journey of almost entirely neutron stars.

I arrived at Colonia! A few of my data delivery missions couldn't be handed in. My guess is that they would be delivered to a faction that is no longer there - the one that lost the "war" in last week's CG. That's a shame, a few million credits that can't be awarded. However, I think I made about 40 million credits from the exploration data.

I don't know if I have the heart to go back to the bubble, which leaves me kind of stuck out here. I should definitely go and see Sag A* and hand in the data. Then I must decide whether to slog it back to the bubble, or suicide and wake up in a Sidey back in the bubble... with a loss of engineered parts. 

Elite Dangerous: Xbox One X Support

Greetings Commanders, 

We are happy to announce that we will be supporting Elite Dangerous on the Xbox One X.

On the Xbox One X Elite Dangerous can output in true 4k; any other settings will depend on your console settings and the sort of monitor or TV you are using.

We’ve also added two new options: Performance and Quality options, and 1080p and 4k options. This second option will allow you to change the resolution the game renders to, which is an in-game setting that is completely independent from the settings within the Xbox One X itself. If the console’s settings are different, the output will be upscaled or downscaled.

To achieve the highest frame rate, you could choose Performance and 1080p. Alternatively you can choose higher quality graphics by using the Quality setting, at the cost of some performance. In short, you can pick what best suits you!

This update will go live on Monday November 6 at 11AM GMT (TODAY). This will only affect Xbox One players and will cause minimal downtime.

Thanks!

:D

2 minutes ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

It's had stick support for the past month, since the release of the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS One (the only supported HOTAS).

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_IN/products/tflight-hotas-one

Will my regular PC version of that stick work or do I need the XBox version? 

*Edit* Ah. You said the only supported Hotas. I may need to make a purchase

Wonder if one of you lovely CMDRs that has an Xbox one X with this game can publish a video or two that shows the visual detail/upgrade you get USING a 1080p screen as if I get an X I won’t be able to get a 4K tv for a while. Just need to see what I’d be missing detail wise - especially planet details and textures/shadows :)

Is anyone doing the current community goal of hunting Thargoids? I tried a couple last night; the first killed my wingmate when the rest of us were rearming and then we couldn’t find it, we got the second without further loss.

It’s pretty busy around The Oracle station but you have to be careful because of the surprisingly high number of CMDRs who seem intent on defending the deadly aliens.

Ah, the Internet...

"WAH WAH WAH! How dare Frontier force a massive 730MB update on every Xbox player even if they aren't getting an Xbox One X?! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!" Etc...

- 730MB is tiny.

- It's simply a necessary game update to enable X1X support, it's not like the 4K assets are being forced on everyone (4K assets for X1X Enhanced games are optional). 

Finally (Destiny/Mario) had a proper play with my Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One.

I love the way the game plays with a pad, but... fuck me, using a stick is so good!

Current settings:

- B1 on the stick changed from Hat Headlook toggle to Hat Thruster toggle. (Hat = pips, B1+Hat = Vertical & Lateral Thrusters.)

- B2 on the stick changed from Select Target Ahead (it's already on A!) to FA Off.

- Crappy rocker thing on the Throttle changed from Thrust L/R to Firegroups.

- B3 on the Throttle changed from Thrust Up to Select Highest Threat (I'm not sure of this one yet).

- B4 on the Throttle changed from Thrust Down to Landing Gear.

- Camera Suite moved from B> to the B5 button on the base.

I had a play with the Throttle set to be Forward Only, with B3 set as the reverse toggle, but it was far too weird so I went back to normal.

I'm quite tempted by that, should I decide to go for Combat Elite.

Speaking of which, at Pioneer +82%, so just 29 million exploration credits away from Explorer Elite.  Desperately wanting to get back to the bubble and do something else - I've been away for three months!  A bit of pew-pew, some space trucking... anything that isn''t jump-honk-scan!

Gah!  Minor rant plus boring numbers incoming.

Way back in the mists of time, I set off for Sag A*.  Plan was to get to Explorer Elite by the time I am back.  I've been keeping a spreadsheet of progress, as I stopped off at Colonia and then I'm using the Colonia Highway to come back (non-boosted).

On the way out, I basically did jump-honk-jump in one 30,000ly run, which got me an average of 44,000CR per system.  On the way back, I've been pausing to scan stars, HMC planets and gas giants.  Anything that isn't a rock.  On average, that got me about 275,000CR per system.

Setting off from Eudoxus Hithe, I was 30m CR off Explorer Elite.  With 110 jumps to Amundsen Terminal, I thought that I might, just might make it.  Cue... an endless stream of L-type stars, surrounded by rocks.  That 110 jump run netted me 8.2m CR, compared to the 98 jump run from Polo Harbour to Gargarin getting me 30m.

Right now I'm 4,500ly from Sol and trying not to have to do a diversion in order to reach my goal.

It may just be complete random luck, but I found the highest number of water worlds, earth-likes and terraforming candidates between Colonia and Sag A*. That was the most lucrative stretch by far, compared to the highway between the bubble and Colonia. I was also surprised by how many systems were totally fresh and undiscovered -- I somehow thought that there would be no virgin territory left any more,  but I guess it's billions of stars. 

Couldn't bear the thought of flying back to the bubble, so I got a Suicidewinder and teleported back, then ordered my Asp to be transported. It's taking 61 hours, but that's okay, I have to play South Park anyway.

Yup, it's lovely :)

You can select Quality or Performance (as with PS4 Pro), and also 1080p or 4K.

Xbox One (and PS4) received a small patch yesterday to fix the Performance/Quality option, as it wasn't working correctly following Monday's update that enabled Xbox One X support in the first place (and PS4's previous update that added Pro support).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/389610-PS4-and-XBox-One-Performance-Options-Patch

Been pounding the community goals. Currently top 25% in the HR 7047 trade (5012 tonnes) and bounty hunting (10+ million Cr) goals, and both should finish on Tuesday at their current progress. Be a very nice payout from both, even if I drop to top 50% by the time they finish :)

And I utterly fucking love using the Hotas :) (oo er)

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Console players can move their save to PC