rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - Fleet Carriers confirmed for June 2020

I bought this not long after it came out, but never played more than 20 minutes of the tutorial, and decided it was a bit more demanding than I felt I had time for, in terms of remembering all the controls and that.   I keep thinking I should go back. Has it been made more newbie friendly already, or is that something that's happening at some point in the future?

• Empathy 1

Big update for that coming soon, fortunately. Both better tutorials (there are some passable ones built in) and things like an in game manual and playing aids.

Once you pass a certain point a lot of stuff becomes second nature but it’s a hamfisted mess until then. So many crashed ships...

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Big update for that coming soon, fortunately. Both better tutorials (there are some passable ones built in) and things like an in game manual and playing aids.

Once you pass a certain point a lot of stuff becomes second nature but it’s a hamfisted mess until then. So many crashed ships...

The last time I played the tutorials were links to youtube videos that opened in the Xbox browser.

I did get the hang of docking but I'd play for a bit, think "I'll get back to this later" and by the time I did I'd forget what the fuck you had to do and so gave it up so auto docking is a win for me.  I also never got the hang of going around planets. No Man's Sky straightforward 'point in a direction and fly' just worked better for me. Still, looking forward to giving this another go.

• Upvote 2

Wtf docking is half the fun. The fun is in skillfully maneuvering a spacecraft. If you can’t land your ship, how are you going to get stuck into combat, or explore planets? All you have left is trading, which is basically MS Excel with travel time. 

• Upvote 3

It is a lot to take in at once at the beginning. Being able to at least pick up jobs while you figure it out lowers that barrier, and I imagine it will be just slow enough that people will get impatient and want to learn to land manually eventually.

• Upvote 1

Polygon article - Galactic Mapping

A really interesting article on how one explorer's documented travels has inspired others to join in with mapping the Milky Way in Elite:Dangerous

As of April 2019, Frontier says that players have explored only 0.036% of the Milky Way, somewhere in the neighborhood of 144 million star systems. That means there are well over 399 billion star systems left for them to discover.

That's star systems, not stars or planets or moons etc. I think it''s impressive that since the game''s release over four years ago that players have discovered 144 million systems, that's an immense number. 

Playing E:D was the first time I began to get a smidgen of an idea of just how big our galaxy is. 

• Upvote 8

On 16/04/2019 at 14:59, Floshenbarnical said:

Wtf docking is half the fun. The fun is in skillfully maneuvering a spacecraft. If you can’t land your ship, how are you going to get stuck into combat, or explore planets? All you have left is trading, which is basically MS Excel with travel time. 

They need make the station letterboxes open a bit wider for the larger ships, thats why I use autodock. Getting out is always a pain in the bum, then you get stuck, and fined. Not worth the agro when you can do it auto.

Obvs if they brought out an Auto Combat Module or something ridiculous, then its going too far!  :lol:

I would deffo buy that.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Karzee said:

Polygon article - Galactic Mapping

A really interesting article on how one explorer's documented travels has inspired others to join in with mapping the Milky Way in Elite:Dangerous

That's star systems, not stars or planets or moons etc. I think it''s impressive that since the game''s release over four years ago that players have discovered 144 million systems, that's an immense number. 

Playing E:D was the first time I began to get a smidgen of an idea of just how big our galaxy is. 

I hadn't realised it was quite that many, I'd remembered something about the height of the galaxy not being the same as real life (due to how the model worked) and made some assumptions about it being scaled down. That's bonkers.

Distance-wise it's been quite fun to look at the Pleiades in real life, which is just like, right there next door where you can see it in the sky, and yet in a videogame flying in with a specially customised ship designed for long-haul flight, also very obviously a huge way away.

Hi folks, so I've traded up to an adder and am plying my trade shipping goods and exploring, I'm not really into combat. I was floating about Dahan last I looked if anyone is nearby please say hi

IMG_20190512_163651.jpg

• Upvote 4

An Adder? Really? That's the equivalent of flying a cargo plane full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong. ;)

22 hours ago, Thor said:

An Adder? Really? That's the equivalent of flying a cargo plane full of rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong. ;)

I've only really started the game but thanks for the encouragement lol

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, mrsnrub said:

I've only really started the game but thanks for the encouragement lol

The Adder is a lovely little ship, you enjoy yourself ;)

• Upvote 2

All the ships in this are great. Except for the Imperial vessels, those that pilot them are slaver scum.

I'm coming back to ED after a break. The last time I played was when the Guardian modules first became a thing. I love the new exploration and mining mechanics. Cracking open asteroids for void opals is super satisfying. I need to get myself into some AX combat.

12 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

The Adder is a lovely little ship, you enjoy yourself ;)

Lol it was the largest ship I could afford... I was hoping to tie this in to the Simpsons episode with the tall man in the car that Nelson laughed at but....

9 minutes ago, revlob said:

All the ships in this are great. Except for the Imperial vessels, those that pilot them are slaver scum.

What if I own one or two, but don't pilot them? ;)

I’m getting back in to the grind here with my usual deep space adventures. I got the achievement for discovering a planet but who knows what one that was.

Can’t quite decide on the paint job for my future Python...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I’m getting back in to the grind here with my usual deep space adventures. I got the achievement for discovering a planet but who knows what one that was.

Can’t quite decide on the paint job for my future Python...

I bought the Black Friday jobs for all the ships I plan on owning. Graphite is a good second place. 

Bah. Downloaded this again from Steam, and was all set to get stuck in tonight.  The stupid thing won't even launch.  A couple of times it popped up an error message to do with the launcher, but most of the time the launcher just stops running after 2 or 3 seconds.  Can't get any useful help via googling, all either really obvious stuff or super PC master race fannying about nonsense.

It used to work fine on this PC, and I played it a little bit a year or so back.

Two things.

1. Coming back to this after about 9 months off and there is a metric fuckton of changes to the UI.  All for the good, but still hard to get your head around as I still have miscle memory for half of the controls.

2. Trying to relearn the above when you're two Jack Daniels in is not recommended.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_psubtokayu1rfswojo1_1280.png

Me shortly before finishing off the fifth level of FSD upgrades. Puts me at juuust over 50 light years per jump, giving me a no-refuelling range of basically the entirety of inhabited space if I'm patient. If I could be bothered with the Guardians I'd get an FSD booster but this will do nicely.

I remember there being a Squadron on this on PS4 (are they crossplatform?) but my request to join doesn't seem to have ever been approved. If anyone wants to wing up occasionally feel free to drop me a line, but I'm mostly still grinding space exploration at the moment and my Vulture could use some work!

• Upvote 3

I started a squadron. Shepard's ... somethings. But I never saw any requests to join. I haven't booted up the game for a few months.

Every time I see this page get bumped I want to fire up the old bird and get stuck in again, but I just sort of can’t be bothered. I think I was in the middle of engineering my FDL and I can’t remember what point I was at and it’s not combat ready and etc etc etc

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

I started a squadron. Shepard's ... somethings. But I never saw any requests to join. I haven't booted up the game for a few months.

Yeah, that’s the one I tried to send to. Maybe it wasn’t working properly.

You can now buy things to automate both docking and flight so you can just put your feet up and read or something.

Don't get your hopes up for either. 

As for the squadron, I really should log in and check for any applications.