rllmuk
Thor

Elite Dangerous - September update out now, Fleet Carriers coming December

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I remain convinced that Thargoids are some sort of mass hysteria.

The words of someone who has not had the unique pleasure of being hyperdicted by one. ;)

Spoiler

I'm tempted to make my way over there but I would last about 30 seconds in my unengineered python. Should get started on the engineering grind I guess.

Some good changes have come in since o picked this back up a week or so back. Mining is far more enjoyable and lucrative now, and supercruise assist is a godsend.

• Upvote 1

It does mean I tend to get up and do other stuff whilst I'm cruising to a destination. Only a matter of time before I return to the PC and find I've been interdicted and blown to shit.

Although not great at landing on planets, it does at least take you into orbit and keep you there.

I'm back in Mukhang tonight, thought if I was going to do a load of delivery missions I may as well try and help the RLL Mukhang Symposium. :)

Unfortunately they are very much out of power in Mukhang and have been battled back to a ground station. They do have influence in about 10 other systems in the area though and own two of them!

3 hours ago, Thor said:

The words of someone who has not had the unique pleasure of being hyperdicted by one. ;)

Hide contents

See i've been sitting on the fence about this game for ages but after watching that it was like when the "shadows" started appearing in Babylon 5, the idea of stuff like that just happening is pushing me to buy this for the xbone. 

• Upvote 1

Had a frustrating evening trying to do a Special Ops mission for the Symposium.

They wanted me to kill civilians... for the greater good, a bit of false flag terrorism. Fine, it's what I signed up for, and they were paying big bucks. I got in my trusty Vulture and headed off to the local system Hemait to do some sniping. First up (my own fault) I hit the first civilian I came across and got a bounty (of course) and it didn't count towards my score.... OH, I realised, you want me to hit certain specific groups of civilians... not just any old ones... whoops.

Anyway, I proceeded to the mission objective and found 6 ships all slow as shit civilian craft, scouts and whatnot. Like ducks in a barrel. I hit the first one and they make a run for it and, despite chasing in a Vulture, this explorer somehow manages to get away from me and jumps free. Balls, turn around to chase one of the others, but they are all too far away and jump away. Shit. I fire up the FSD again and get another mission target ping. It's 3000ls away over the other side of the system... annoying. So I fly there and the exact same thing happens again! First target, even though I am right up their arse, just pulls away from me, even though I am constantly firing Large Beam and Large Multicannon up their rear end, and boosting, flipping between engines and weapons on the power distributor.

Grrrr...

So I head back to Basesuku and pick up my Anaconda and expert crew member. Doing the above with the conda I manage to kill two of the craft in five attempts. I've got to kill 17 to complete the mission. Bored by now I dump the mission and go to bed.

It has occurred to me this morning that maybe I needed to be a bit smarter, target FSDs maybe? Or use missiles perhaps to disable the shops and then pick them off. I dunno, but it was no fun, after looking like it could be a good laugh chasing civilians around.

• Upvote 2

When I'm back in this on VR, I'm gonna make the trip. I know we don't have Mukhang, but are we still big in Basuseku?

15 hours ago, Thor said:

When I'm back in this on VR, I'm gonna make the trip. I know we don't have Mukhang, but are we still big in Basuseku?

Yeah we've got Basuseku sewn up and are currently at war in Juliani or some place like that. 

Got some new pics from my travels, Elite remains one of the most boring games graphically.... until, all of a sudden, it's not:

20190721010043_1.thumb.jpg.ee3ac7dc5e051d720db2846b8bf700c1.jpg

20190721010344_1.thumb.jpg.94b8a921471c34078e4b7415da6d2d4f.jpg

20190721120028_1.thumb.jpg.71a6cbd8d604c8dee61cdee1db158820.jpg

20190721120632_1.thumb.jpg.2cca34c63e0e7c8b183d7546362ca4c6.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 20/07/2019 at 05:15, Danster said:

Had a frustrating evening trying to do a Special Ops mission for the Symposium.

They wanted me to kill civilians... for the greater good, a bit of false flag terrorism. Fine, it's what I signed up for, and they were paying big bucks. I got in my trusty Vulture and headed off to the local system Hemait to do some sniping. First up (my own fault) I hit the first civilian I came across and got a bounty (of course) and it didn't count towards my score.... OH, I realised, you want me to hit certain specific groups of civilians... not just any old ones... whoops.

Anyway, I proceeded to the mission objective and found 6 ships all slow as shit civilian craft, scouts and whatnot. Like ducks in a barrel. I hit the first one and they make a run for it and, despite chasing in a Vulture, this explorer somehow manages to get away from me and jumps free. Balls, turn around to chase one of the others, but they are all too far away and jump away. Shit. I fire up the FSD again and get another mission target ping. It's 3000ls away over the other side of the system... annoying. So I fly there and the exact same thing happens again! First target, even though I am right up their arse, just pulls away from me, even though I am constantly firing Large Beam and Large Multicannon up their rear end, and boosting, flipping between engines and weapons on the power distributor.

Grrrr...

So I head back to Basesuku and pick up my Anaconda and expert crew member. Doing the above with the conda I manage to kill two of the craft in five attempts. I've got to kill 17 to complete the mission. Bored by now I dump the mission and go to bed.

It has occurred to me this morning that maybe I needed to be a bit smarter, target FSDs maybe? Or use missiles perhaps to disable the shops and then pick them off. I dunno, but it was no fun, after looking like it could be a good laugh chasing civilians around.

Iirc a smarter play is taking out their thrusters - they’re generally a bit weaker and they can’t spin up their fsd to jump if they’re not at a certain amount of throttle, which obviously can’t be achieved if their thrusters are out

Is the cheapest and best version of this game, the steam version?

Xbox One has a bundle for £39.99 and i like the idea of playing with a pad, since that's what i'm used too.

Steam is the same price but my pc isn't outstanding by any means, however a quick look on google and i can pick some dlc for about £2.

So would i be better off buying this:-

https://www.g2a.com/en-gb/elite-dangerous-steam-key-global-i10000005639015?aid=12107684&___currency=GBP&er=251e28dc01a1c8f7ad28f375ec310360&___language=en-gb&adid=GMC_GB-Smart-MEDIUM&id=14&gclid=CjwKCAjw4NrpBRBsEiwAUcLcDOl2E5xK8wqdqD9wbstHnHfcdbhVmui8CKvpoFG6erygg46x3S_jKhoCF9YQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And then adding the dlc as i need it?

And that version comes with some good cosmetics for some of the early ships I think.

Edit - The Commander Deluxe Edition is the one with the DLC included. Seems like it's due for a discount:

image.png.25ed242e99e1245484fe9f220f5951e5.png

• Upvote 3

It's been a busy couple of weeks. Using my principle of not buying a new ship until I had twice the cost of the build (to allow for rebuys, unexpected upgrades and as a barrier against my own stupidity) I finally got the basic form of my Python together. I'm not ready to show it off until I get it the new paint job it needs - and I probably won't do that until they're all separate purchases as planned in the September update - but I gave it a shake-down cruise and in the process got my Federal rank up to Petty Officer, so I'll be visiting Sol soon!

I think it's time to spend some of my remaining 68 million credits boosting up the combat potential of my Vulture Welcome to Fight Vale so I can blow up some pirates and scoop up the remainder of the engineering parts I need for my Python's FSD.

I just bit the bullet. Requested an account asset transfer from my PS4 account to my PC account. 1.4billion credits - but all my ships, all my ranks, all my engineer mods ... all gone. So I'll have to grind for those, but at least I won't have to grind for credits - I can just go and buy an Asp Explorer, Python, hell an Anaconda. And just A-rate the lot. :)

After messing with performance settings, setting up my voice (and faffing with USB ports to do so), and setting all the keybindings in the game so that voice attack can use them, tonight I managed to put some proper time into the game. Voice Attack, and the singularity voice packs you can purchase are amazing. Nothing like escaping an interdiction, and having William Shatner remark, 'good flying, commander.' Yes, that's right, tonight I spent an evening in space with William fucking Shatner as my ship's AI. 

Yes, it is as amazing as it sounds. And it's robust as well. You can ask him to request docking when at a station, or 'plot a course for Felicity Farseer', and he'll do it. :D I had great fun tonight just pootling around in my sidewinder, and now I have a cobra. Some of the delivery missions are really rather lucrative. I just a did a delivery mission of 44 tonnes for 1m cr!! I had to buy more cargo bays and 44 was the max I could go to. But 1m! For one trip!

One thing I'll say about the Oculus Rift S, if it wasn't for the black levels this would be the perfect setup for this game. However, that issue aside, it works really well, and the Oculus software and controllers are really handy if you want to check something on INARA. And yes I can pin the desktop so it stays visible in-game, and I can resize it. Haven't fully tested it yet though, it could affect performance.

Now I just need Frontier to do the switch on my account assets. Then it's an Asp Explorer with an A-rated FSD, and a trip to Felicity Farseer (she unlocked tonight for me). I know I've done all this grind before, but I can't wait to do it all over again, especially without the need to grind for credits. I can just go straight to engineering and exploring. And all in virtual reality. Amazing!! :wub:

• Upvote 4

Having achieved my goal of Tycoon Elite, I'm in that familiar lull of wondering what to do next.  Going for Combat Elite seems - right now - to be like standing at the bottom of Everest.  I've been doing massacre missions in a tricked out Vulture but due to the low jump range it's pretty much all in the same system.  Assassinations are a very slow way forward.

Maybe I should do some cheevo hunting.  Anyone know of a good guide to the SRV, finding materials and all that?

Thanks for getting in touch and confirming that with us, As such I've transferred the Networth of 1,642,383,114cr over to your PC account now.

:omg:

• Upvote 3

On 02/08/2019 at 18:13, Thor said:

:omg:

What's your commander name, I'm, TheRealDanster, funnily enough. I usually play on Open out around Mukhang, when I'm not grinding for something. 

I am CMDR Thor-Odinson. :)

I'm still tweaking settings. Elite VR really is power hungry. Landing at Farseer Inc I saw the framerate get a little choppy. Likewise when pooling about in an SRV. So need to tweak some settings still. 

Had a great session tonight. I've been working on engineering mods, specifically FSD range because that is king for getting around. Of course, you need materials. So I decided I needed a ship to hunt materials via wanted ships in RES sites. I seriously considered kitting out a vulture for this, but I wanted more flexibility for the actual collecting of resource. I needed collector limpets. Had to be the Python; still the best overall ship in the game. I just went and A-rated what I needed to, bunged in my already modded FSD, and off I went. Had loads of fun in a an asteroid ring hunting for mats. :)

Also did Holo-Me and rather like this:

image.thumb.png.af672fca190c95e35b2e3f3f03cc2537.png

• Upvote 4

Had a mammoth 3+ hour session on this in VR last night. Last time I had sessions this long was playing Skyrim VR on PS4. I've already got my FSD modded to G4 Extended range, so I've taken a break from that grind to up my rep with Todd McGunface. Gonna mod my multicannons for less weight (and thus more Jump range!). I'll soon be ready to go after the Guardian tech and grab enough mats for an FSD Booster. Then it's proper exploration time!! 

Combat in VR is something else, just looking to track the enemy ship makes a world of difference, combine that with Voice Attack - "Full power to weapons!" ... shit, I'm getting battered ... "Full power to engines!" I need to find a list of all possible commands, I'm sure there's some things I could ask Orion/Shatner to do that I'm unaware of.

You know, my crappy little stint with it on the Xbox aside, I've always championed the Python as the best ship in the game. And pound for pound, it still is. It's a genuinely brilliant, versatile ship ... on a technical level. But in VR? Its fucking boring. The Python's cockpit is tragically dull in VR. Its like driving a fucking Lada from the '80s.

The Asp Explorer is lovely in VR, but it's a one-trick pony. I don't have any rep with the Federation or the Empire, so that leaves me with ... the Krait. Specifically the Krait Phantom, with its lovely red interior. The Krait has a fantastic cockpit, and the sight of your guns firing either side of you is glorious. Great jump range too.

When I was docked at my base at Ray Gateway I got up and walked around my ship, as best I could in my living room at least. Some of the little details are great. :)

Next I'm off to go after guardian tech and boost my FSD again. 

• Upvote 3

I'd forgotten how daft some of the Engineer grinding is in this game. To access The Dweller you have to trade at five different black markets; that's straightforward. Unlocking Lei Cheung, on the other hand, requires you to trade at fifty normal markets. 

Tonight I watched a three hour movie in a window in VR while trading from station to station, system to system, and I still have 13 markets left to trade at. However, I have seen some great sights along the way. There was one station that was real close to a red ammonia planet; exiting said station and seeing that planet fill your view is truly awe inspiring. :)

I did go off and get the Guardian materials for the FSD booster. Might do it again sometime to grab another as they really do help, especially in ships with poor/average jump range (like the Corvette). But for exploring and getting around the galaxy, my Krait Phantom now has 43ly range. :)

Should easily get 60ly out of my Asp Explorer with some clever engineering. Will come in handy for Professor Palin if/when he's available again. 

• Upvote 4