Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!

Thor

£1.5 million and they will design 10 new playable ships for the game.

Early in the project we revealed there would be 15 playable ships in game, if we reach £1.5 million with the Kickstarter then we'll add another ten playable ships to the game.

If this, Star Citizen, or Project Infinity are any good, I'll be happy. If all three turn out to be good....oh my....where to start!?

With whichever one comes out first, I guess.....

Could you just imagine if all three of these were as good as the original Elite was, for its time.

Go on. Imagine it. Imagine it some more.....yes!

Does anyone know if Elite will have hireable crew for turrets on ships?

Edit: wait, I don't mean Project Infinity, do I!? Damn it, what's that "other one" that's on Kickstarter?

I don't think that's the one, and it's not Project Eternity, either, altough both of those are obviously what are messing with my memory of the one that I do mean.

This other one looks like a one-man outfit, and it look sincredible, for all that. His last Kickstarter update showed off procedurally generated space stations.....

Ah fuck, what was it. It's the third part of the trio of hope for new, massive space games.

Limit Theory?

That's the one! Yes. Project Infinity my arse. Yeah, Limit Theory, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous. They can't all be shit!

Poor old Infinity! I remember vaguely considering writing about it when we were doing Disposable Media as they had a reasonably recent demo out then. The demo was made in 2006. November 2012 is the last update, so I assume it's still ticking along.

A surge at the end seems quite common.

I'm glad they have the funding but I do think the budget is quite low for the ambition of the project. I'd be more confident if they dropped all the multiplayer stuff for the initial release. That said, everything I've seen so far is encouraging in that they really do seem to be making a new Elite and not some over complicated space opera/simulator.

Isn't the game partly done though? Pretty sure I read that this has been "in progress" for a while and been worked on by the people at frontier when not on other projects. so maybe the 1.25M they where after is to just finish the game?

Closed at £1,578,316.

It's so cool to see how many people donated, downside is there is less chance we will get to see a character with our names :P

One time in Frontier I took on a mission to transport Margaret Thatcher to another system. Naturally, I had to fight off a lot of ships queuing up to have a pop at her.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Check your inboxes as today we were treated to a short but quite interesting update on how some of the visual design decisions are progressing and being finalisedish .The bit that made me drool most was the imperial ships. 1 especially is lovely as are the two below with tie fighter like structures. Really hope those make it as final designs. Might be time to hit their forums!

EmpireshipsketchesCropped_zpsc19947fb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Lave radio is a podcast where some men talk about what goes on in the elite design discussion forums ( the bit you had to pay to be in). Often there will be polls and ideas that are voted on and its a good way to keep up with what's going to hopefully make it into the final package and in what form. They also discuss what is shown in the kickstarter update that everyone receives. Definitely worth a listen if youre as excited as I am about the game.

Just this week one of the presenters released the first part of his audio play "Escape velocity" which boasts a full cast and effects. Its a lot like one of the big finish productions and is really well done. I was quite surprised actually!

Go here if you havent already: http://laveradio.com/

• 4 months later...
  • Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!