Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!

Thor

They were fairly clear though, weren't they? No VR in Odyssey at launch with a very big "maybe" for some unknown point in the future. It is disappointing though, definitely. I've played a little ED in VR and it's incredible!

The thing I'm most disappointed by is them saying no to ship interiors. That's been something they've been talking about since before the main game even launched in 2014. Some of the things Arthur (their community manager) was saying about it felt a bit of a wind-up: talking about how they'd have to redesign the whole game (after Braben said years ago that the game was designed from the outset for fully modelled ship interiors to be added in the future) and how they wouldn't add anything to the gameplay experience (despite Braben also giving numerous examples for some of the gameplay loops that could be added in the past, and the fact that ship interiors are very much a thing in Star Citizen).

On 16/06/2021 at 16:02, fragglerock said:

I fucking hate the Elite community!

But also this. I've worked in customer support my entire adult life in some way or another and I know only too well there are limits on my patience. I don't think those limits are large enough to be a Community Manager for Elite Dangerous.

I dont think its the Elite Community its just people on the internet isnt it. 

I'm def on the otherside of this one though as someone who spent rather a lot of money to play Elite in VR , the HOTAS, the HMD the gfx card upgrade, bought voice attack for it , and also supported them by buying cosmetic items. Bit of a fanboy all in all despite the fact the actuall game is lacking in several areas.

Im also a huge fan of procedural generation and love the tech underlying this, but again can aslo see where their decisions have hampered the game itself in some areas.

But I digress, I only play Elite in VR and love it for the sense of scale and immersion and I was all in for Odessy originally. 

But they have actually stopped me from playing it. 

My elite gaming goes in phases, I play it, explore whatever new stuff they have added,( last time it was the mining updates, some new exploration features for example) until I get bored again , but I always enjoy my time with it. And I was looking forward to coming back for something new.

Being able to stand on a planets surface in VR and marvel at the scale from a new perspective, watch an alien sun rise etc etc

It's pretty galling from where I'm sitting.  I don't know what goes on inside Forntier but Ive heard a variety of interesting stories. All I know is they make some shitty decisions sometimes.

I do get it, I really do, and I love what I've played of Elite Dangerous in VR. I do think people are justified in being unhappy that it's not coming to Odyssey.

That said though... I always figured Elite worked well in VR because your in-game character spends their entire time on their arse: either sat in the cockpit of their ship, or the driver's seat of their SRV. My experience of playing anything FPS-like in VR was always that it gave me really bad motion sickness, so I'd always questioned whether Odyssey would even work that great in VR. It would've been really nice to try it though.

I wonder really what the big problem even is in getting it to work though? I know the game's performance takes a significant knock in Odyssey though and I've heard this is down to shitty optimisation of the renderer on the ground - essentially it's wasting performance on rendering stuff that's not even in view. I imagine it would be even worse if they were having to render everything twice at high frame rates for VR headsets.

I also love Elite in VR and was disappointed when they announced the 'virtual screen' fix that odyssey would use, but they were consistent in their messaging and it should be no surprise.

I am in a similar boat to you I think. The promise of Elite is so vast, and the underlying space tech is unbeaten... just the game they hang off it is very disjointed.

I don't think yelling this at them constantly for years and years is that helpful though.

4 hours ago, Zio said:

That said though... I always figured Elite worked well in VR because your in-game character spends their entire time on their arse: either sat in the cockpit of their ship, or the driver's seat of their SRV. My experience of playing anything FPS-like in VR was always that it gave me really bad motion sickness, so I'd always questioned whether Odyssey would even work that great in VR. It would've been really nice to try it though.

I think the argument about motion sickness is a non starter, have you rolled the SRV in VR?! Bloody hell. They already made a vomit simulator.

No mans sky works brilliantly in VR as well, I don't think there is a really an excuse.

The problem as far as I can see is that they deiced to try and make a fully featured FPS. I think it shows a distinct lack of understanding about why people play Elite tbh.

They could have started with a space legs framework and limited features.  Maybe simply being able to get out of your ship and walk around. The star port lobby etc. EVA woulld have been nice too.  

Then built on that over time, much like they have with the rest of the game.

Anyway Ill shut up now, its not going to change! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just started playing this because I bought a Thrustmaster HOTAS One for Flight Simulator on Xbox and this is another compatible game. I knew I'd like it but had heard it was very complex. It does seem to be that but it's also very immersive. Is there a decent tutorials resource for the current version? Also, I only have the 'Core' game on Game Pass, so what am I missing out on? Sorry for the basic questions!

You're not missing out on anything as far as the console version is concerned - the "Core" edition used to be just the base game without the Horizons expansion, but that's since been folded into the core.

On PC, there's the Odyssey expansion which is due out on consoles later this year.

Odyssey is apparently a bit shit. And yes, on console you have everything available for consoles - that's the core game and Horizons (which allows you to land on planet and moons and drive a buggy around collecting stuff).

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Greetings Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a game close to my heart.

It’s no secret that Odyssey’s launch was less than ideal, including the need to split the PC/console player base to focus on a PC-only launch. Since Odyssey’s release in May 2021, we have worked tirelessly to improve the Odyssey experience on PC, and whilst we have made great progress there is still more to be done. We have been supporting the pre-Odyssey and post-Odysseycodebases since.

Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development.

We need to be able to move forward with the story of the game, and in order for us to do this we need to focus on a single codebase. Elite Dangerous will continue on console as it is now together with critical updates, but we will focus on new content updates on PC on the post-Odyssey codebase.

We appreciate this news is not what our console community were hoping for. This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind.

With regards to what is coming next in Elite Dangerous, we look forward to sharing further news in due course.

David Braben

Scrolling down further, they also confirm they have no plans to release EDO to PS5 or Xbox Series consoles either.

I somehow get the feeling like ED is being gradually killed off and it won’t be too long before PC development ceases too. But hey, Star Citizen is still in Alpha.

I haven't played Elite Dangerous in quite a while but that's very disappointing news. I guess E:D on consoles is making less money than their other ongoing ventures, and they can't justify keeping developers on this project when they could be working on F1 Manager and the Jurassic Park games and Planet Coaster 2 or whatever.

I do wonder sometimes if Elite is something that Frontier keep going out of sentiment rather than because it's a huge money-spinner. It's obviously not a flop, but it's not a smash hit either. They've released two expansions in the eight years since the game was released, it can't be bringing in that much money.

Well shit. You'd think if Hello Games can keep updating No Mans Sky on multiple consoles and even bring it to Switch, that Frontier could have done that with this. Had the game with the current expansions sat there patiently waiting for Odyssey. Think it's time to delete it. 

Given how Odessey performs on PC I'm not surprised they had to ditch last gen consoles. Bit surprised they've ditch current gen, but guess the customer base didn't really warrant it.

I'd love to think that going PC only would revitalise the game some how. Doubt it though.

(I haven't really played much for ages, bar a stint checking out Odessey. Can't say I didn't get my money's worth over the years though)

22 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Well, so much for going back to that.

Yeah. I always keep it up to date, on both consoles, figuring one day I'l actually have the time to play the game whose kickstarter I backed. Alas, no. I suppose I should revisit if my current laptop will run it and free up the console space.

• Thor changed the title to Elite Dangerous - Thargoids declare WAR!